PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Aligning cores when changing wall type

yoshi204783229
2019-07-05, 11:40 PM
Hi

I have a very noob question about how walls behave in revit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently entering walls into a floor plan.
Since there is a possibility that wall types will change during the design process, I decided to align all walls by the core center, so even if the wall type changes, the dimensions relative to other elements will stay the same. I tested if this would work in a simple blank model first, and as I expected, it did. I placed two walls 1000mm apart by core center, and no matter what I changed the wall types to, the core-to-core distance stayed the same at 1000mm.

However, as I was working on the real (more complicated) model today, the unwanted happened.
I first drew all the walls using the same ambiguous type, set the core-core dimensions, then started changing the wall types based on the given floor plan.
I expected the dimensions to stay the same after changing the wall types, but it did not...
The first pic shows the before state, and the second shows the after.

I changed the wall type of the wall on the left, and my intention was to change the type but keep the dimension, 1600mm.
But when I changed the wall type, the dimension changed as well to some ugly number.

The dimension is still capturing the core of the new wall type, but I wanted revit to align the core center to the wall type before. (the reference plane in the picture = the core center of the wall type from before)

Any suggestions/ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance.

PijPiwo
2019-07-06, 09:12 PM
Make sure your walls location line is set to core centerline in wall properties before you change their type.
Also, check if you have any other constraints like alignment or other dimensions that you applied earlier and forgot. In the view control bar, hit reveal constraints button.

yoshi204783229
2019-07-07, 11:47 PM
Hi PijPiwo

Thank you kindly for your help! Fixed the problem right up!
I am such a noob!
Thanks again.