PDA

View Full Version : Grids - Reset to 3D extents?

Scott Hopkins
2005-04-08, 12:15 AM
Does the 3D/2D grip extent toggle not show up on duplicate levels? It is showing up on my existing construction plan but not on my new plans. Am I missing something?

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-04-08, 07:54 AM
"Select a datum and it is selected in all views in which it is visible. Notice that there is a control titled 3D that displays at the ends of the datum. With the 3D designation, the datum is in model extent mode. This means that if you drag the control to resize the datum extent, it changes the extent of that datum in all other parallel views, provided those datums also have the 3D model extent control. Click the 3D control; it changes to display 2D. The control also changes from an open circle to a filled circle. This means the datum is in view specific mode. If you resize the datum the change occurs in that view only.Notice that when you drag the filled circle, the open circle remains. This is showing where the model (3D) extent is. If you want to return to that extent, right-click on the datum and click Reset to 3D Extents.

In either 2D or 3D mode, you can show or hide the datum bubble, and you can add a leader to the extent. To add a leader, select the datum and click the leader control . Two spherical controls display. You can drag them to form a leader. To hide the datum bubble, clear the check mark . In either mode, these changes are view specific. They do not affect the datum in other views.

NOTE: If you drag a datum extent outside the crop boundary of the view, the control on the extent is always in view-specific (2D) mode. You also cannot propagate its extents to other views.

Propagating 2D Datum Extents

When you have modified a 2D datum to the desired extent, you may have similar views in which you want it to display the same way. You can use Propagate Extents to accomplish this. With the datum selected, click Propagate Extents on the Options Bar. In the dialog box, select the parallel views in which you want the Datum to look the same and click OK.There is no permanent connection between the look of the datum in multiple views. If you modify the datum again, you have to use Propagate Extents again. Propagate Extents does not affect Model (3D) extents.

Datum Visibility in Views

When you resize model (3D) datum extents, you can control in which view they are visible. If the datum planes do not intersect the view plane, they are not visible in the view.

In the following example, the top level line is not visible in the section view, because its model (3D) extents do not intersect it"

With compliments from the help files.

Scott Hopkins
2005-04-08, 06:25 PM
NOTE: If you drag a datum extent outside the crop boundary of the view, the control on the extent is always in view-specific (2D) mode. You also cannot propagate its extents to other views.

Aha! That was it. My grids where outside of my crop boundary. This little feature was news to me. I should have read the help file more closely. Thanks!