PDA

View Full Version : Titleblock

Griff
2003-12-11, 12:02 AM
Ok, I'm trying to build our AutoCad Titleblock in Revit. I have a grayscale jpg image that I placed on the titleblock. The image looks great on the screen but when I plot it out its real burry. Any ideas why?

I'm printing to a very nice xerox 7700 so I know it's not a printer problem, or should I say, I guess I know?

nrenfro
2003-12-11, 12:29 AM
I have come across similar problems when inserting images. Try making the image a Bitmap. Also I have found that sometimes if you change the print setting between vector processing and raster processing can have an effect on the print quality of the images on a sheet.

Kirky
2003-12-11, 12:52 AM
Also check; under Print Setup go to Appearance, set dpi to max also set Number of Colours to: Printer Settings

mgallin
2003-12-11, 02:34 AM
I found that if print settings are set to print black and white, .jpg's will print pourly from Revit even if the .jpg is black and white.

Phil Read
2003-12-11, 03:04 AM
Dave -

Another thought: a JPG can look great on a screen at 72 or 96 DPI - but it'll look horrible when printed. In addition to the printer settings mentioned above, make sure that the image is large enough (around 3X) to start with and then scale it down to fit the space that you're trying to fill.

Stick with JPGs too. BMP's can be unreasonably large. Even a screen capture of your desktop can be nearly 4meg while a JPG will hover around 200k.

All the best -

Phil Read
Autodesk Revit

Griff
2003-12-11, 12:54 PM
:D Wow, I'm overwhelmed. I've been on newsgroups before that you were lucky if even one user replyed. This is great thank you all!

Under the Print Settings, I changed several settings but the one that fixed the problem was the "Number of colors:". I set it to Printer settings and the image looks great.

Printing is Revit is a little differant than AutoCad. I haven't been able to get the print to plot all the way out to what I use to call extents. On my 11x17 print I have about 1" on the sides and 3/4" on the top and bottom that is dead space. Under the print setup I have the zoom set to "fit to page" but it still doesn't print all the way out to "extents" of my titleblock.

Is there another setting I need or do I have to have this a "sheet" and not be in the Family Editor to print all?

PeterJ
2003-12-11, 01:49 PM
Bear in mind that AutoCAD uses it's own optimised drivers and Revit just uses system drivers. Take a look at the printer's own preferences and see if there is guidance on what the marginlimits should be. 3/4" and 1" seem like overlarge margins for a modern printer

Cathy Hadley
2003-12-11, 08:12 PM
When I'm plotting out my check plots of 24X36 to 11x17 I too have found the fit to page setting to be overly small...

I've found that setting size to about 45% works for me (it'll take some trial and error)... then you can save this setting and use it for all your check plots..

Griff
2003-12-11, 11:20 PM
That did it, thanks. I actually have set mine for 48% and it fits pretty good. Thanks again

beegee
2003-12-12, 01:14 AM
On a slightly different note, I've found that I need to use custom page settings to overcome margin problems when I print PDFs using Revit's PDF Writer.