PDA

View Full Version : another Photoshop comparison

SkiSouth
2005-04-11, 04:02 PM
Yet, again. The photoshoped files seem to get the best response.
Saved -the photoshop file is 160 megs. Working its 257 megs.
resolution of the original image was 480 approximately 10"X 5"
The layers and effects are listed in the stack image posted with this.

The original image is all Revit - not bad. Only posted it here at 300 dpi.
Any questions feel free to ask.

beegee
2005-04-11, 09:51 PM
A retirement cottage for G. Bush ?

The canvas - watercolur effect works for me.

SkiSouth
2005-04-11, 10:37 PM
Yeap, the "W" loo...

Andre Baros
2005-04-12, 11:54 AM
The effect looks good, but neither the original nor the effected image express the volume of the building. Maybe it would help to save a hidden line view with shadows on from Revit and add it as a layer in Photoshop, that way you could manually adjust the light and dark faces of the building to add to the depth of the image. Compositionally some site elements might help as well to move the viewers eyes across the image and frame the building with foreground as well as background information.

BTW the background and sky look great and are ideal for the building and pop the building right off the page, its the distinction within the building that is hard to read.

SkiSouth
2005-04-12, 01:20 PM

BTW the background and sky look great and are ideal for the building and pop the building right off the page, its the distinction within the building that is hard to read.

Yeah, the lighting on the heavy fascia trim didn't really work with the orientation. Unfortunately, the client called and needed a rendering for their upcoming publication with a printing deadline - so you do what you can in the time constraints. I tried the hidden line effect with revit on an earlier rendition, but didn't redo it. Maybe now that the deadline has come and gone I'll revisit that. Thanks for the comments.

Edit - Added the Revit hidden line overlay - Process - hidden line - export at 600 dpi image from revit. reduce to 80% (480 dpi) when inserted on Pshop layer. deleted white areas. Added filters find edge and reticulation to drawing layer. Added at 57% opacity and multiply. Darken shadows on watercolour layer. Reduced image size slightly to repost.

Andre Baros
2005-04-12, 02:48 PM
It looks a bit darker now, but that really brought out the details a lot... I understand clients and deadlines, usually I don't have time to render anything at all and just go with the hidden line and shadows.

Lashers
2005-04-12, 03:35 PM
I say go with hidden line and shadows first, so that next meeting when you throw the colour in they are even more impressed than last time!!

SkiSouth
2005-04-12, 04:32 PM
I say go with hidden line and shadows first, so that next meeting when you throw the colour in they are even more impressed than last time!!

That was done to get the board interested, - That was the problem, They were going to publish the STUDY and it was a REAL hack job.

Lashers
2005-04-12, 04:44 PM
LOL . . . the worm turns!

christopher.zoog51272
2005-04-12, 05:42 PM
Looks great Ski! I like the one with the linework better, but you're still losing the columns...I know why, because they are too faceted in Revit right? Just an FYI, one way I extract the linework needed for a watercolor is to use Smart Blur in Photoshop. It saves you the trouble of exported out linework from Revit, and it will solve the faceted column linework.

1. Duplicate the raw rendered image layer, call it "linework"
2. Goto Filter | Blur | Smart Blur
3. Set the quality to High and the mode to Edge only
4. Play with the radius and threshold sliders until it contains just the amount linework you want.
5. You should be left with white lines on a black image.
6. Using the magic wand tool, select anywhere in the black, right click and choose similar, then hit delete.
7. Hit Control + I to invert that layer.
8. You should be left with black lines, adjust the opacity as needed.

Here is an quick example that I did the other day (Revit+Viz/Vray)

-Z

Scott Hopkins
2005-04-12, 06:11 PM
Chris,

This is probably a Photoshop rookie question, but what tool do you use to fade out the edges of the rendering?

christopher.zoog51272
2005-04-12, 06:47 PM
Not a rookie question at all. You can do it a few ways but I prefer this way:

1. The linework itself in on it's own layer (if you follow what I just mentioned) right? So all you do is make a new layer directly beneath the linework layer (but above you color artwork layers).
2. Then use the paintbrush tool, select white as the color, and pick a brush with a large feathered edge, I usually use a 300 pixel feather for high res images.
3. Paint away! You are basically "erasing" by painting.

make sense?

-Z

Scott Hopkins
2005-04-12, 07:12 PM
Cool! Thanks alot! I'll give it a try.

SkiSouth
2005-04-12, 07:55 PM
Thanks, Chris. I'm familiar with smart blur. Used it as one of the steps in the Photoshop tutorials. Yes the columns are faceted, approximately 250,000. (Max Ionics completely high detailed) I've moved on to another project, but thanks for the crit.

Nice image. You don't know how to deal with a metric mesh that disappears in Max when brought up by 2.54 scale do you?

SkiSouth
2005-04-12, 08:04 PM
Scott,

Another quick way is to use the selection tool (the box, or circle etc) Make your selection to keep. under the pulldown select find "feather", give it a pixel width (0-250). Hit erase. You'll get a smooth "delete" from your selection box inside or outside, depending on what you have selected to erase.

christopher.zoog51272
2005-04-12, 08:11 PM
Thanks, Chris. I'm familiar with smart blur. Used it as one of the steps in the Photoshop tutorials. Yes the columns are faceted, approximately 250,000. (Max Ionics completely high detailed) I've moved on to another project, but thanks for the crit.

Nice image. You don't know how to deal with a metric mesh that disappears in Max when brought up by 2.54 scale do you?Oops sorry about that, didn't remember that from reading the tuts.

No never heard of that before, what type of mesh is it? was it imported?