PDA

View Full Version : About to throw the HP750 C+ Plotter out the window....

Globey
2005-04-12, 11:18 PM
After putting in 36hours straight over the weekend, and using up two rolls of paper...I think the plotter has gotten overworked...each time I plot a sheet, which it plots just fine, when it wants too...it comes up with the error, turn power off and check cartridge path....which after you turn on the plotter, it prints out a tiny mirror image of your work, ohhh...and about 6' of paper as well...so my solution is too throw the thing out the window, since now it is asking to shut down after each sheet I plot...anyone have any suggestions on any new plotters? I heard good things about the HP500...and I have used the 1050 before....I really liked the KIP and OCE plotters, doubtful if the boss will shell out the bucks for those though....

I know we can have the 750 fixed, but we had spent about $1200 roughly when we purchased it, and we had it serviced once....around $175 for a ribbon, and about two hours labor at $125 an hour...so we may still keep it as a backup plotter...but it is probably time to shop for something new...

Mike.Perry
2005-04-12, 11:23 PM
Hi Bill

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the Coffee Without CAD (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45) Forum to this one....

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Globey
2005-04-12, 11:35 PM
Hi Bill

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the Coffee Without CAD (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45) Forum to this one....

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator
Thanks Mike!
I was just getting frustrated with the plotter, and didnt really pay attention to which forum I posted...

Mike.Perry
2005-04-12, 11:43 PM
Hi Bill

No worries....

Personally I wouldn't touch an Oce Plotter.

I have never used a KIP Plotter, but have heard / read many good things said about them.

Value for money and reliability, HP Plotters are pretty difficult to beat. The HP 1050 Series of Plotters I have found to be very good.

Have a good one, Mike

mtlynn
2005-04-12, 11:50 PM
I'm trying to get my company to update to an Oce TDS 400, they said maybe later this year. fingers crossed. I've heard only good things about the Oce. About 200 plots per hour.

Still using the old HP600. Been with this company 5 yrs. an have never had a service call yet. If I can't get the Oce I'll look into the HP 1050. About 60 plots per hour.

Good luck

Globey
2005-04-12, 11:52 PM
I'm trying to get my company to update to an Oce TDS 400, they said maybe later this year. fingers crossed. I've heard only good things about the Oce. About 200 plots per hour.

Still using the old HP600. Been with this company 5 yrs. an have never had a service call yet. If I can't get the Oce I'll look into the HP 1050. About 60 plots per hour.

Good luck
One of the local Printing companies, Joseph Merritt, I believe they have some type of leasing program on Kip or Oce plotters, I have talked to my boss a little bit about that, but since we may be moving the office in May, we might hold off on decisions like that until then, but for now hopefully we will get someone in here to fix this...

Ron Oldenbeuving
2005-04-13, 03:37 AM
After putting in 36hours straight over the weekend, and using up two rolls of paper...I think the plotter has gotten overworked...each time I plot a sheet, which it plots just fine, when it wants too...it comes up with the error, turn power off and check cartridge path....which after you turn on the plotter, it prints out a tiny mirror image of your work, ohhh...and about 6' of paper as well...so my solution is too throw the thing out the window, since now it is asking to shut down after each sheet I plot...anyone have any suggestions on any new plotters? I heard good things about the HP500...and I have used the 1050 before....I really liked the KIP and OCE plotters, doubtful if the boss will shell out the bucks for those though....

I know we can have the 750 fixed, but we had spent about $1200 roughly when we purchased it, and we had it serviced once....around $175 for a ribbon, and about two hours labor at $125 an hour...so we may still keep it as a backup plotter...but it is probably time to shop for something new...This from HP support website, hope it helps.

scott.wilcox
2005-04-13, 03:37 AM
It's time to throw out your 750C Plus out. Like Mike said, the 1050 series by HP are today's production workhorses. My office upgraded from 750C to 1055CM in 2000. After more that 2 million carriage passes, the 1055 is still at only 40% of it's expected life. With a 3GB hard drive, lots of files can sit on the print buffer. You probably can find a decent used one for a good price. Just remember to get a service contract with a local reseller. One service call will pay for the years's contract. Mine works out to be $25 a week (canadian!)

I put in my 1055 contract 2 general maintenance calls to reduce the odds of an emergengy call. The service provider wanted that as well; they can schedule visits when it slows down.

Scott

RobertAitken
2005-04-13, 07:25 AM

Good luck
I hated the TDS400. It was a good plotter but you have to tell it to do everything for you. I've got this roll in this one it this type of media.

There's accounting software that you can get with it and I don't think the people that wrote it talked to the hardware people of did any usability studies. We gave them an A4 page of inconsistencies and annoying foibles.

Then again we did move down from the Oce 9800 to the TDS400.

Robert

Glenn Pope
2005-04-13, 01:15 PM
One of the local Printing companies, Joseph Merritt, I believe they have some type of leasing program on Kip or Oce plotters, I have talked to my boss a little bit about that, but since we may be moving the office in May, we might hold off on decisions like that until then, but for now hopefully we will get someone in here to fix this...
Leasing might be a good idea until you move. When you move they can take it back, or they might move it for you since they want to make sure it doesn't get broken. Plus for the next month you don't have to worry about plotting. Of course this all depends on what the leaser will do.

kanandume
2005-04-15, 05:07 PM
We have run a 1055CM in our office for almsot 4 years now and it runs constantly, if price is a major issue, buy this plotter, for the price you can't go wrong!!

Keith Blair ~ CAD Manager / LAN Admin.

p (602) 277.7800 Ext.41105
f (602) 277.6150