PDA

View Full Version : wall question from a newbie

aemreerdogan
2005-04-13, 04:51 PM
hello
i've been trying Revit tutorials for sometime and i must say that i am really impressed. I am an Allplan user and I think that even though Allplan seems more complicated and also when it comes to 2d drafting it is at least as powerful as Autocad; Revit is such easy and innovative so I am almost tempted to switch.

But there are some cases i've been wondering if possible with revit. i am sure they are but i didnt come across similar situations in tutyorials and the docs so i thought you may help me.

The situation is covering the exterior of a wall with plaster panels. But these panels must be in angular poses giving a unique elevational view. The attached file should help you understand i think. what would you advise me to achieve such a wall combination?

And by the way, it seems there is no such tool like "stretch". Is there any substitute for this?

Thank you in advance for all your help and time.

Emre,

kshawks
2005-04-13, 04:58 PM
Possibly a sweep of some type would work that you could place in the wall type.

gravelin
2005-04-13, 05:02 PM
you can also place it on an existing wall using host profil

To strech just try to drag the objets. Many time it will be enought because of parametric constrains.

aemreerdogan
2005-04-13, 05:03 PM
well thanks for the quick reply..:)

you mean the sweeps in the properties? can i use my profile as sweep profile? or can i dwraw a wall with any profile? anyways i am not sure if i can achive this section. i don't mind the metal con. , but i would like to see the panel in section.

J. Grouchy
2005-04-13, 05:03 PM
I was also thinking maybe a sloped glazing with the material changed to plaster. That may be more time-consuming, though...I haven't played around with it, so I'll leave it up to someone who's done something similar...

J. Grouchy
2005-04-13, 05:05 PM

To strech just try to drag the objets. Many time it will be enought because of parametric constrains.

this, I think, would also be a very good solution...the wall hosted family with instance parameters allowing you to stretch it vertically and horizontally as needed. Would take some time to set up, but could then be placed in the model and adjusted fairly quickly.

aemreerdogan
2005-04-13, 05:07 PM

well can you give me a tip on using host profile. i told you i am a newbie..:)

aemreerdogan
2005-04-13, 07:00 PM
i managed to save the plaster profile as a family and added it as sweep to the wall structure. is that what you were suggesting? i managed bur it seems like a complicated work. i wonder what will happen when i add the windows though. i am working on it now

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-04-13, 07:51 PM
If you created the sweep as a wall object it will behave as a wall object ie when you insert a door or window it will be cut to create the opening. The only real shortcoming of this approach is that the 'wall' can't contain a number of layers or materials. That can be easily rectified in your detailing of wall sections though.

aemreerdogan
2005-04-14, 04:58 PM
thank you all for your kind answers... i figured some way to use it as wall sweep as i said. but i am not sure if i am doing right. i created a family using the profile template and loaded in sweep.

i am still not fully comfortable with sketching and constraining and this family editor.