PDA

View Full Version : We finally get to see if Revit can do what we want.

DoTheBIM
2005-04-14, 08:09 PM
After many failed attempts at scheduling a meeting...Tomorrow we will be reviewing revit with what I believe to be one of the original founders of Revit.... to see if it can do what we need. Being a panelized design/build company it was very difficult to see Revit working with what we need to do (track inventories, create shipping lists, and detailed BOM's, etc.). We keep getting told that it can... but haven't seen it yet. Hopefully tomorrow will shed some light on our decision making. Is there any real hang up issues any of you have with Revit? You know like those little things that really bug you but you continue to work around it either for lack of time to find a better way or it just flat out won't do what you need? Wish us luck! I shall post the results next week.

Marek Brandstatter
2005-04-15, 06:36 AM
what I believe to be one of the original founders of Revit Lucky fella :)

Bit like wanting to buy Microsoft Office and getting to meet Bill Gates.

DoTheBIM
2005-04-26, 03:04 AM
Well we got a re-demo on a webcast with some of the new features in 7.0 and 8.0. Didn't get to meet anyone in person. Short answer is Revit can't do what we'd like to do. So it looks like a long road ahead no matter what. Programming and Setting up an outside BOM calculations tool converting our data to the new CAD system no matter what that choice is.

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-26, 03:26 AM
...Short answer is Revit can't do what we'd like to do...Sorry to hear that, don't give up on them, keep after them to put what you need on the table and keep it there.

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-26, 04:24 AM
Being a panelized design/build company it was very difficult to see Revit working with what we need to do (track inventories, create shipping lists, and detailed BOM's, etc.). We keep getting told that it can... but haven't seen it yet.Your interests aren't quite aligned with those of the general building design community, and only something like Vertex BD is even going to come close. We had a fellow in our area who hounded us for months to work with him to develop something like you want for Revit, and I don't know if it's worth it. You might be able to extrapolate from the Revit data and design an app that uses some of Revit's data, but your order is mighty tall!