PDA

View Full Version : Align surface pattern on roof

roy.70844
2005-04-15, 12:44 PM
Hello everybody,

Before you ask... Yes I have done a search on the phrase "Align Hatch" and found a number of threads, but the result was inconclusive so i decided to start a new thread.

I am having difficulty in aligning the surface pattern of some joined roofs.
I have an existing roof and a proposed dormer. I model the existing roof in the Existing phase, then copy the existing roof to the same place and set it's phase to New Construction (I do this because I can't seem to phase openings in the roof, but that's a different problem!) .
I then model the dormer and join it to the existing roof (New construction phase).
Here is the problem, I can't align the pattern on the dormer roof with the pattern on the existing roof - they are both using the same material.

Any ideas?
Roy

Andre Baros
2005-04-15, 12:53 PM
Select the "align" tool, then, on the elevation, you should be able to pick the hatch that is correct (you may have to hit tab to pick the hatch) then pick the hatch that isn't aligned. Done.

patricks
2005-04-15, 02:49 PM
Keep in mind that only works if the roof's surface material is set to a model fill pattern. Drafting fill patterns can't be aligned or rotated, as far as I know.

roy.70844
2005-04-15, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the responses..
The pattern is a model type
I am able to clearly select the pattern on each face without needing to tab. I also tried aligning both patterns to the same lower edge of the dormer.

I did notice that each time I aligned the patterns to each other it got a little closer in alignment. After about 10 attempts the displacement was negligable.

Weird!

Roy

patricks
2005-04-15, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses..
The pattern is a model type
I am able to clearly select the pattern on each face without needing to tab. I also tried aligning both patterns to the same lower edge of the dormer.

I did notice that each time I aligned the patterns to each other it got a little closer in alignment. After about 10 attempts the displacement was negligable.

Weird!

Roy

Was that happening in elevation or roof plan? I've seen that happen when you try to align the pattern on a surface in elevation that's not vertical, but it usually works okay for me if I do the aligning in the roof plan.

roy.70844
2005-04-19, 09:44 AM
The pitch of the original roof and the proposed dormer are the same, I could understan if they were not eg, one sloping and one vertical say.

If I try the align in plan view i get the same result ie. it take about 6 align commands to get an acceptable result. Has anyone else seen this, or is it just me?

Roy

sbrown
2005-04-19, 12:43 PM
What if you try moving the pattern, end point to end point.

roy.70844
2005-04-19, 01:51 PM
What if you try moving the pattern, end point to end point.

I can't force it to select the endpoint of the pattern (even typed SE) but I got it to work by zooming in close and nudging the pattern!

Roy