PDA

View Full Version : Wall Layers ( was> Newby Question )

mrd.84339
2005-04-15, 04:14 PM
I am attempting to layout my first residential project using Revit. I have a question that I hope is not too stupid. I am using the residential template that ships with Revit. When placing my interior walls (2x4 framed) I am using the 4 1/2" interior partition wall. I notice that the walls are shown with the drywall visible. I would like to draw the walls so that the drywall is not visible and the wall is 3 1/2" in plan view and not 4 1/2". Is there a way to turn off the drywall so that I don't see it and all I see is the 3 1/2" wall? I am used to drawing my walls 3 1/2" thick (2d AutoCAD) and would like to continue doing so. Also. When the plan is plotted I don't want to see the drywall, just the framing, especially for scaling purposes.
Thanks
-Green Horn

aaronrumple
2005-04-15, 04:25 PM
Yes and no.

You can just delete the drywall from the wall deffinition. This will give you a 3 1/2" wall - stud only. This wall type will not show drywall in section, so you would have to draft in the drywall for sections and details.

However you just can't turn it off.

DanielleAnderson
2005-04-15, 04:31 PM
Also, in terms of dimensioning, drywall is considered a "finish" element, not a "core" element. Therefore, you can dimension to the face of the wall (which is the face of the finish) or the face of core (which is the face of the structure or stud). So, even though Revit has defined drywall as part of the wall, you don't necessarily have to dimension to the face of it.

mrd.84339
2005-04-15, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to get used to the drywall being there, or add the drywall to my sections manually. I understand the dimensioning part. I just thought it would be easier to get used to using Revit with out the extra inch on the walls.
-Andy

DanielleAnderson
2005-04-15, 05:05 PM
It just requires a completely different mindset from Autocad. ;)

mrd.84339
2005-04-15, 05:12 PM
It just requires a completely different mindset from Autocad. ;)
I am quickly realizing that.

ejburrell67787
2005-04-15, 05:31 PM
...also if you set the display Detail Level to course you will only see the wall outline if you want to show it simplified like that. (you can use the course setting and dimension to the core if you wanted to!)

However, as has been pointed out a slightly different mindset suits Revit better... so maybe time to adjust your habits rather than try and bend the software to suit your old habits! ;)

Elrond