PDA

View Full Version : Roof Cutoff level

Chris DiSunno
2005-04-15, 04:17 PM
Anyone know if we can make a roof cutoff be horizontal?
When a level is selected the roof is being cut vertically where the inside face of the roof intersects the level line. I'd really like it to chop off the top of the roof at the level.

Thanks

Chris

Chris DiSunno
2005-04-15, 04:40 PM
an image to make this more clear

beegee
2005-04-16, 01:11 AM
You can make the steep roof finish with a horizontal cut by selecting the "cutoff level" in the roof properties dialog. Start the lower pitched roof at the reference plane for the intersection of the roof finish with the cutoff and then move down it to align with the level line. Join geometry .

Then the fun starts if you want the layers to appear to join uniformly, you will need to either draft over a filled region or else use a number of edit cut profiles and invisible line. ( The illustration does not show this )

gjburkett
2005-05-15, 02:43 AM
beegee, I'm having the same problem and I don't think what you said helped the situation. (I'm assuming that it didn't help him because he never thanked you or replied :() Anyway, this is weird. I have my roof set to cutoff at the plate height above, but mine is also cutting vertical at the bottom of the rafter instead of cutting flat across the top. See my picture below. Does anyone know why it's doing this?

beegee
2005-05-15, 05:15 AM
An interesting aspect of cutoff roofs is that a mono-pitch roof will cut horizontally and a hipped roof will cut vertically. Something to do with the constrained geometry of the hip condition.

Despite this anomaly, you should still be able to achieve what I outlined in my post above. If there is a problem, post the purged file with just the roof elements and we'll take a look.

gjburkett
2005-05-15, 03:10 PM
That's so weird. Is this a bug? I added 3 non-sloped lines to the inside and now it cuts off horizontally everywhere, even at the hipped-roof ends. That makes no sense to me. :Oops:

nathanh
2007-11-26, 02:53 AM
I am having this same problem. Sometimes roof cutoff is vertical while other times it is horizontal.

Does anyone have any answers?