PDA

View Full Version : How to make a tilted column?

Gadget Man
2005-04-18, 05:42 AM
Hello all,

Could you please advise me how to make a tilted column? By tilted I mean rotated in elevation around the base (center line or edge) say 7 degrees from vertical (to support an overhanging deck above, that can't be simply supported by a normal vertical column).

Thanks in advance...

beegee
2005-04-18, 06:13 AM
Ok, this is going to sound weird. ( that's only because it is weird )

Using structural framing members - a column in Revit is always vertical . So you can't use a column.

But you can use a beam. Set up a reference plane at the angle you want, select this a the working plane and place a beam.

Obvious, not.

Gadget Man
2005-04-18, 06:22 AM
Thanks BeeGee - as usuall you are unbeatable!

And weird - it is...

blads
2005-04-18, 06:51 AM
Ok, this is going to sound weird. ( that's only because it is weird )

Using structural framing members - a column in Revit is always vertical . So you can't use a column.

But you can use a beam. Set up a reference plane at the angle you want, select this a the working plane and place a beam.

Obvious, not.

methinks I owe you a :beer: or two for that little tip... thanks beeg!

Mr Spot
2005-04-18, 07:01 AM
We've created numerous not vertical architectural columns created using blends and then a formula is added so as someone just needs to specify the ange and the offset for the top is automatically calculated.

it also depends on whether you plan to use the structural data.

If anyone is interested i'll attach an example.

Paul P.
2005-04-18, 08:29 AM
If you dont mind Mr Spot.

Gadget Man
2005-04-18, 08:30 AM
...If anyone is interested i'll attach an example.
Oh please!

Thank you Chris for this tip too!

Right now, I have just spent more time than I ever should creating parametric double-basin semi-recessed vanity family, full with the mirror, etc, so I WILL appreciate your offer in this regard. The last think now I need (time-wise), is to try to generate this tilted column (even with your great tip).

Even more so because, as you say, they are architectural - not structural columns. I am not particularly interested in any structural stuff - as a matter of fact I had some problems coming to terms with REVIT's structural elements, so I try to stay clear of them as much as I can.

While BeeGee's solution would probably force me to start working with them (structural beams), I would much prefer your option.

Thanks again in advance,:-)

SCShell
2005-04-18, 01:47 PM
Hey there,

I too like to avoid structural elements when possible. I use simple sweep profiles for such items. Define your work plane and reference line or plane with a name. Then set that as your path and draw the profile of you column extrusion, set your material and finish and....voila!

Good luck
Steve

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 04:27 PM
We have used Mr. Spots method as well.

Using a blend is pretty easy, and then you could even taper a slopped colum if you wanted.

Most cases you will know where the top of the colum has to be in plan and elevation, as well as the base, so it makes it simple to use a blend.

We don't use structural info, so its just a Column Family.

GuyR
2005-04-18, 08:31 PM
Perhaps I'm missing the point but isn't the attached family what you want? In 2 words:

Reference lines.

If you want a canted column then use a generic model as a template and change the category.

HTH,

Guy

Mr Spot
2005-04-18, 10:55 PM
Hmm...

I just had a look at my raking column families and i can't remember why but i created them with a sweep with a void at top and bottom? I'm sure i originally planned to use a blend to do it, so there must have been some reason why i didn't.

Oh wait now i remember it was to do with how columns are specified from level to level. There is no height parameter to reference in order to do the calculation and thus you need to use a sweep. Sorry if started anyone off in the wrong direction.

Ahh well.

Here's a CHS example.

Gadget Man
2005-04-18, 11:16 PM
Thank you both GuyR and MrSpot!

That's exactly what I needed - very similar approach in both of them... very simple and effective!

You know, sometimes I try to "break in through the open doors" and unnecessary complicate things.

Gee, I am grateful for AUGI... again. :-)