PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Type Mark Values?

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 04:14 PM
I would assume this has come up before, but I ran a search and didnt come up with anything.

Anyway. . . .question. . . .

Why is it that I get a warning saying that I have duplicate type mark values, when im modifying mark values through thte schedule, and im looking right at the values, and they are clearly different?

This happens on doors and windows.

I was under the impression that Revit wouldnt allow me to have duplicate values similare to the way it works for # Mark? Why is Type Mark any different?

Thanks

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

luigi
2005-04-18, 04:25 PM
As far as I know there must be duplicate Type Mark Values. Do you for sure have them all shown on the schedule? (Phasing, Filters, etc) You are allowed to have duplicate type values, always have been allowed (since 4.5) but I am not sure where you would want the type mark to be the same, even though they are different types.

So, if it is giving you that warning, I am quite sure you have a duplicate somewhere, and it allows you to have duplicates, but not sure of the reason behind it.

I hope your weekend was good as well...

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 04:41 PM
The only reason I could see why you might want duplicate type mark values is if they share the same elevation. . . .example. . . .lets say you have a single flush door, and your elevation is basically just a rectangle in elevation. Instead of drawing that elevation for a 24", 28", 30", 34" & 36" door, you could draw it just once, dimension it as "Varies", and use the same type mark to call out the elevation.

But I can assure you that I'm looking right at the schedule, and I have no duplicate values. . . . .in fact here is a print screen. . . . .(printing screen and cropping). . . .(time passing). . . . .(I'm slow). . . . . BAM

OK, so with that exercise, I just figured out what was happening.

If you note in the screen shot, it shows the 2 doors that are having problems. Well when i went to hight light the other door in the schedule, I noticed it wasn't there! The problem is that even though a/the door doesn't exist in the model, it is loaded in the project. . .and even though it hasn't been used, it has already been assigned a type tag. Unlike door numbering which is based off when it is used in the model, and not if it is loaded into the project.

To be honest I'm not sure that I like that fact that every type that is loaded into a project is assigned info instantly. I wouldn't mind being able to duplicate type marks, but would rather see it used like the # mark where the schedules only refer to information used in the model and not in the project.

I think I explained this pretty clear, but if anyone is confused I can lay it out a bit different I suppose.

Thanks
Stunts.

LRaiz
2005-04-18, 06:37 PM
You created an instance of Single Flush: 24" x 80" door. It is listed in your schedule. This type has a type mark named Z. According to warning dialog you also have a door type Sliding-Closet:48" x 80" that uses the same type mark Z. Looking at your schedule it seems that you have no instances of Sliding-Closet:48" x 80" placed anywhere in you project but the type does exist and Revit warns you about two types using the same type mark. You may want to modify the type with no instances and clear its type mark to avoid warnings.

THT

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 06:51 PM
You created an instance of Single Flush: 24" x 80" door. It is listed in your schedule. This type has a type mark named Z. According to warning dialog you also have a door type Sliding-Closet:48" x 80" that uses the same type mark Z. Looking at your schedule it seems that you have no instances of Sliding-Closet:48" x 80" placed anywhere in you project but the type does exist and Revit warns you about two types using the same type mark. You may want to modify the type with no instances and clear its type mark to avoid warnings.

THT

Correct, thats exactly what I'm saying. What a pain though. . .to have to edit info on all the types that aren't used in the model just to get rid of a warning.

Correctme if im wrong, but once a door is eliminated from the model, you can change another door to the just deleted, and now unused door #, and not get a duplicate error.

Why would type marks not work the same? More of a wish list question I'm sure, but there it is.

LRaiz
2005-04-18, 07:31 PM
Here is a difference between 2 scenarios even though user may not appreciate it. When you delete an instance it is truly deleted and thus user can reuse its mark (instance mark) without getting a warning. OTOH if type itself is not deleted then it is still in your project even when it is not utilized by any instance, thus warnings about duplicate type marks.

I agree that one can make an argument that Revit should not warn about duplicate type marks unless type is in use. However someone else might prefer to get such warning prior to making an instance and at the moment when type is made.

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 08:08 PM
agreed. . .

Anyway, im just glad I understand whats goin on now.