PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Dilemma

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 06:48 PM
Procedure question.

When modeling the ceiling plan. Where do you guys draw your sketch lines to, in order to keep things clean and organized? Center of wall? Random side of the wall? Inside face @ stud? The mix of this can become very confused and messy. Especially when you have walls attaching at different heights. I thought a simple approach would be to create a large CLG that covers multiple rooms, and then tag it multiple times, but when you need to add a leader, then it will only attach at the same location depending on where you drag the tag.

The auto feature goes to the outside of finish. But if you want to be able to attach the walls to the CLG, then thats no good.

Another CLG question, what is the slope arrow for, and why can you only add it when you initially sketch the clg, and not during an edit of a previously drawn clg?

trombe
2005-04-18, 07:23 PM
I actually sketch ceilings precisely where they are going to be when built so if a steel stud or timber frame wall extends to an upper plate then the ceiling section stops either side of the framing and if the ceiling is continuous over the plate line for suspended stuff here and there, (notwithstanding fire rating elements), then that is how I do it there.

I also try to only model ceiling sections that I think will be cut in Section or needed for Callouts, or renders.
cheers
trombe

patricks
2005-04-18, 07:26 PM
I think it would depend on the construction of the walls and the ceiling. I always try to draw things as close as possible to how it would actually be built. So for a dropped lay-in tile ceiling, the walls go up to the roof deck, the gyp. board extends above the ceiling, and the ceiling just goes to the face of the finish. The auto-ceiling function works great for these cases.

For wood framing with gyp. board attached to ceiling joists, I would probably draw the ceiling to the outside face of stud, and then you should be able to join geometry to get the overlapping gyp. board out of the wall. Hope that helps some.

stuntmonkee
2005-04-18, 07:42 PM
This particular instance is with stud framing.

Here is an image of what I'm talking about.

Now, where to start and stop at the ext wall isn't as bad as with the interior walls.

Have to kinda think the process through, but heres the start.

No matter where I draw the sketch lines, it screws up the attachments. I cant worry about how many walls attach to one clg, nor worry about how many clgs, attach to one wall.

The more I think about this, I'm thinkin that attaching walls to the clg isn't the way to go unless its a sloped clg, or the walls go all the way up the roof. Might be better off not to worry about the CLG boundary, and stop the walls with a defined height, and not an attachment.

Its silly not to draw every room with a clg, because the tag feature is nice, and need it for sections anyway.

oh, did anyone have an answer for the "Slope Arrow" thing?

Thanks
Stunts

Merlin
2005-04-19, 01:16 AM
This particular instance is with stud framing.

Here is an image of what I'm talking about.

Now, where to start and stop at the ext wall isn't as bad as with the interior walls.

Have to kinda think the process through, but heres the start.

No matter where I draw the sketch lines, it screws up the attachments. I cant worry about how many walls attach to one clg, nor worry about how many clgs, attach to one wall.

The more I think about this, I'm thinkin that attaching walls to the clg isn't the way to go unless its a sloped clg, or the walls go all the way up the roof. Might be better off not to worry about the CLG boundary, and stop the walls with a defined height, and not an attachment.

Its silly not to draw every room with a clg, because the tag feature is nice, and need it for sections anyway.

oh, did anyone have an answer for the "Slope Arrow" thing?

Thanks
Stunts

Hi Stunt,
As others have suggested, it is best to draw it as it would be built. In the majority of cases that means it comes up to the outside edge of the interior frames. Only do it another way if the actual construction method is different e.g. Fire-rated ceilings (well, that's what we call them over here in Oz).
The Slope Arrow is for raking ceilings, I believe. I haven't tried one yet, but I'm sure that's what it'd be for.
HTH
John Mc