PDA

View Full Version : Structural Columns not showing

Wagurto
2005-04-19, 12:21 AM
I am trying to undersatan the beheavor of the strcutural columns, I place a column but revitt said that is not visibible in the floor plan, and I should check the visisibility setting.
I put my view in strcutural, architectural and coordination but the column does not shows up.
What do I missing plase help!!
thanks

beegee
2005-04-19, 12:40 AM
The column is placing from the reference level down. Check in 3D to confirm.

In properties, change the base and top to what you require,

roy.70844
2005-04-19, 09:35 AM
Structural colums draw from your current level down.

Is it me or did they once draw up?

Roy

glen.85659
2005-04-19, 10:35 AM
you need to place the column in the level above. i.e if your column is on ground floor you need to place the column in position on first floor. I believe that the thinking is that when engineers calculate force they calculate from the top and work down. Hope this answers your question

tarch
2005-04-19, 11:42 AM
I am trying to undersatan the beheavor of the strcutural columns, I place a column but revitt said that is not visibible in the floor plan, and I should check the visisibility setting.
I put my view in strcutural, architectural and coordination but the column does not shows up.
What do I missing plase help!!
thanksI have a problem with that concept too. Building is built down up, not other way. The order structural engineers calculate building loads shouldn't matter in this case.

patricks
2005-04-19, 01:01 PM
you need to place the column in the level above. i.e if your column is on ground floor you need to place the column in position on first floor. I believe that the thinking is that when engineers calculate force they calculate from the top and work down. Hope this answers your question

If that's the case, then I think the way that columns are placed should change depending on whether you have the discipline set to Architectural, Structural, or whatever. If it's set to architectural, it should place the bottom of the column on the reference level instead of the top.

Let those structural engineers do their own thing. Just my thoughts. ;)

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-04-19, 02:04 PM
"You can add structural columns in a floor plan or 3D view by manually placing each column or by using the grid tool to add a column to selected grid intersections. You can also place structural columns inside architectural columns.

Columns are placed on the level below the current view. Therefore, you may need to modify the view range of the current view in order for the column to display after you add it. If the project is based on the structural template provided, these view ranges have been modified to accommodate this."
From the help files
But has this not been changed on Revit 8?

Wagurto
2005-04-19, 02:36 PM
How do you show your grid lines in 3d view?
I can't make them appear in my 3D views

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-04-19, 02:58 PM
Wagurto,
If there is a way to do it, I have not found it yet? The only way I can think of is by using the pick line tool (Select lines under Basic) and pick on the gridline this shows the lines in a 3d view.
A way of isolating that line type would be creating a new line style namely: gridlines, you would then be able to switch them off on visibility graphics.
Hope that helps?

beegee
2005-04-19, 09:49 PM
Answered yesterday.

Column grid in 3D Views. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=17883)