PDA

View Full Version : Notch in Wall

kwong
2005-04-19, 01:27 PM
Hi all,
I have a situation where I have to put a notch in my concrete wall - can anyone help? Please see attached (from AutoCAD drawing). Thanks.
kwong

glen.85659
2005-04-19, 01:41 PM
Does this notch go up all the way. If so then use a vertical sweep profile which is a void. Otherwise you could create a wall based component which cuts into the wall also as a void.

Could you attach an elevation so i can see what it looks like?

Arnel Aguel
2005-04-19, 02:05 PM
That is done using hosted sweep reveal create your reveal profile then load it to hosted sweep..It doesn't matter whether or not it will follow the full height of the wall as it can be edited.

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-04-19, 07:49 PM
Try this, i included the profile.

kwong
2005-04-20, 03:28 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for your response - I tried looking up hosted sweep in the help file but got nowhere. I'm still relatively new to Revit so can someone elaborate on how to go about using the profile? Or point me in the right direction of the help files. Thanks.
kwong

Arnel Aguel
2005-04-20, 03:44 AM
Create a new hosted profile as per your section requirement then assign it as reveal category from the settings menu/family category and parameters and save the profile.
Load your profile in your project then use hosted sweep reveal using your loaded profile.

gbrowne
2005-04-20, 07:54 AM
Just watch out for the tickbox's for horizontal and vertical on your toolbar when using the sweep command. I missed them for a wee while, stressed me right out...

kwong
2005-04-20, 09:19 AM
Thank you all for your contributions & tips - got it to work, and thanks Daniel for taking the trouble to create that profile for me. :grin:
kwong

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-04-20, 10:05 AM
the pleasure is mine, keep posting if you got more trouble. We love to see new users.

glen.85659
2005-04-21, 09:03 AM
Sorry guys. I meant to say reveal, not sweep.

tomm
2005-07-21, 07:12 PM
I have been trying to create a wall sweep that will chamfer the corners of a concrete wall. I have followed the instructions in this and other threads that a search revealed with no luck. Every time I place the reveal it ends up outside the wall. no amount of editing seems to place it in the wall where I can perform the cut geometry command. Any ideas what i may be doing wrong? see screen shot of my results.

sbrown
2005-07-21, 07:47 PM
corners are a little tricky, you need Steve Staffords help, he created a family that will cut out the corners. I know you can do it with an in place void family. basically, click model>create>generic model>void extrusion, draw your shape, then click the cut geometry tool and select your wall and the family.

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-21, 08:38 PM
The attached file includes a chamfer that uses a profile and two fillet families. Each family has a symbolic line assigned to a sub-category of generic model. The trouble with wall hosted voids as families is they don't really "exist" so there is nothing to "show" when you add them. Revit complains about this too, so I added the symbolic lines to help place them in plan view. Then I can turn them off later.

Placing families that deal with corners can be touchy business too. I place them well within the wall first and move them into position. Wall corners also perform better if they are a mitered joint, so switch them from butt to miter. The families include flip controls to help orient them too. The fillet families include several radius options as types.

Rounded or chamfered corners look best when done in coarse detail level, when you switch to medium you will probably find you need to rethink the wall construction since these alterations usually cut through your finish and penetrate vapor barriers etc... I suppose it is better to be confronted now than in the field?

As for materials, they can be painted with the same wall material after you place them.

The interior fillet needs to be joined to the walls using join geometry so it cleans up.

Last, these families are first draft objects and I've never gone back to them for refinement...got what I needed done and moved on.

tomm
2005-07-21, 08:54 PM
Thanks Scott,
I did as instructed and it worked,---almost. I want to apply the chamfer to both edges of the end of a concrete wall. My wall is 6'-0" high. I set the height of the extrusion to 6'-0", but get an error message telling me the sweep could not be created as it was outside of the wall. If I set the height to anything less than 6' it works but leaves an annoying little piece of concrete at the top of the void.
I then tried to mirror the void to the other corner of the wall, and it worked. No error message. So I deleted the original and mirrored the copy, but still get the error message! This is driving me nuts!!!

Edit: Thanks Steve I will try them.

ita
2005-07-22, 01:22 AM
Steve thanks for the lessen. Masterful!