PDA

View Full Version : A Newbies Guide to a New Version.

beegee
2003-12-14, 10:47 PM
At the risk of jumping the gun a bit here, I thought newbies might like some information about the process of installing a new release, so that everything goes as smoothly as possible with 6.0, and you don't get trampled in the rush.

The following notes assume that 6.0 will be a similar download process to earlier versions of Revit.

If there is new content to be installed, it’s a good idea to backup your old files and make sure that you custom files are in a separate folder where they will not be overwritten.

Backup the following files also:- (Thanks to Steve Stafford for this list )

 In C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 5.1\Program
copy Revit.ini Keyboardshortcuts.txt (if you've customized)

 C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 5.1\Data copy Revit.pat
and any/all of the import/export setting text files you've modified.

 Install new version

 Replace the listed files above with those you copied previously, alternatively rename them instead so you can troubleshoot with the original files should a problem arise.

Note: It is possible to have an earlier release of Revit installed on the same computer at the same time as 6.x.
Refer L Raiz's comments below.

Revit supports multiple installs as long as the versions of the software are different.

The Upgrade batch file ( when its available ) can be downloaded through this link (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1828&highlight=)

LRaiz
2003-12-15, 12:06 AM
There is no need to uninstall Revit 5.1 before installing Revit 6.0

Different versions may be installed side by side (as long as they have different version numbers). Generally it is a good idea to install new version first and spend some time exploring it before uninstalling the old one. For old almost completed projects it may make sense to finish them using the old version. Keep in mind that once a file is retrieved and saved in a new version it will be upgraded and will no longer open in the old version. Even if after playing with a new version for a few days you feel confident to start using it in production I would recommend keeping the old one around longer just in case. If you don't find a need for the old version you can uninstall it at some later date (in a few weeks).

Different builds of the same version are a different matter. Beegee is right that in order to install a new build one needs to uninstall the old one.

LR

beegee
2003-12-15, 02:27 AM
Thanks Leonid, I have amended my post to reflect your comments.

aaronrumple
2003-12-15, 02:03 PM
Don't forget the shared parameters in case those were placed in the program directory....