PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to change the material of the structural concrete columns?

A3D
2005-04-20, 12:12 AM
I try to have the plans "poched". I managed to do it with walls, but I can't figure out how to do the same with the structural concrete columns.

In Setting\Object Styles I changed the material, but it doesn't do anything.

Any idea?

DanielleAnderson
2005-04-20, 12:15 AM
In my experience with structural families, you have to go into the actual family and change the materials there.

gsHoeflinger
2005-04-20, 12:22 AM
What we have done in the past is add a material parameter to the structural column (we had done it with steel members) And make it "by catagory".

From there when it is placed in the model, you can change the column to what finish you require.

Course this should be standard to all columns.... ahem!

A3D
2005-04-20, 12:40 AM
Just tried it - it's the right solution. Thank you for the workaround.
Now I only have to figure out how to replace all the columns in the project.

I'm so amazed - this forum is so very helpful... it's like having a guru next to you.

:D

beegee
2005-04-20, 12:50 AM
To replace all the columns in the project, in the Project Browser, right click on the column family, then "select all instances" then in the menu window, scroll to the family that you want to substitute and select it.

>>Now I only have to figure out how to replace all the columns in the project.
>>

A3D
2005-04-20, 01:26 AM
Thank you beegee for your advise - as always right on target. However, I did it in a slightly different way.

1. I modified the column family as gsHoeflinger indicated me and saved it.
2. Next step was to drag and drop the newly modified column family in the drawing and there you go: it asks you whether you want to replace all instances.

This is the other way around as AutoCAD does it. And this is the good way... just drag over the newly modified block (read family) and it replaces the existing members, not the new comer.

Now that Revit beats AutoCAD at inserting/replacing blocks (families), the next step is to have something like the equivalent of Refedit. It would be wonderful to be able to edit families in place...

By the way, there was a side effect: some column slightly moved. Still trying to figure out why it did this.

beegee
2005-04-20, 01:39 AM
Your method works when you modify a family and keep the same name.

Mine allows you to have the new family, by another name and the old family available in the project in case you need it.

Now, when you replaced the existing families, did you have the box checked for " Override parameter values of existing types " ? If you did, then the new family type will insert with those new dimensions, which may not be the same as the family type you replaced.

sjsl
2005-04-20, 02:45 AM
Acutally, eidting a Family in place has been on the Wishlist for sometime. Myabe we can hope for it soon.