PDA

View Full Version : FACTORY(or anyone else)!!!! HELP!!!! Cannot save my local file!

luigi
2005-04-20, 03:32 PM
OK, here is my best in making my story clear and concise...

I am a single user, I have one project in Worksets. I have someone in the office that occasionally opens the Revit file from her demo version to check some dimensions, etc. She cannot save!! I opened a file as user "OEM" there were some worksets taken from "OEM1" (It is possible that these 2 users are both me, but this is irrelevant)

So, I open the file as "OEM" I get a warning that I cannot make something editable because of OEM1...so since I think there really isn't a OEM1 user that makes changes I change my user name to "OEM1" and make the worksets editable with no problems, no warnings. I then proceed to work on my project, now I am ready to Save and/or Save to Central. It won't allow me to save nor STC, so I decided to save as a different file, but it won't allow me.

What can I do, it seems to be a crazy circle of problems!!!

edited because I am not sure if people are reading this thread, so I hope the stars will get people's attention!!!

luigi
2005-04-20, 04:31 PM
The next person that views this thread will the the "View" RED

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-20, 04:44 PM
Try resaving your local file as a new central file. It may be that your central file is wrecked...

luigi
2005-04-20, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the attempt, but it won't allow me to go to the save nor the save-as window....it gives me an error and that's it... :(

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-20, 04:55 PM
It sounds like Revit is in Demo mode. Check the license status and make sure you are not and try again.

luigi
2005-04-20, 05:04 PM
I wish it was that simple...it is the fact that the user name was changed after the file was opened and it wasn't changed back before making changes...
See the attached files...

P.S. and of course it won't allow me to change the user name...

luigi
2005-04-20, 05:39 PM
OK, I am leaving for today and am not logging off, or else I WILL LOSE MY WORK and if there is a possibility to save it...well, you know...

Most people that can truly help work in the US time zones, so I hope that tomorrow morning someone will have an answer......I just hope it isn't

" Well, all you have to do is quit the file without saving, open the central file with the name that has the worksets editable and save to central relinquishing all the worksets.... a very easy solution indeed... and next time don't play with changing your user name while working on a job..."

In HIS hands,

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-20, 05:50 PM
Why don't you try changing your worksets username to what the local user wants? Wouldn't that work?

luigi
2005-04-20, 05:53 PM
As I said earlier

P.S. and of course it won't allow me to change the user name...
:(

luigi
2005-04-20, 05:55 PM
Also, in case it wasn't clear...

I also cannot get into the "Workset "Manager, it says that I cannot because I have changed names, that I should change the name to the earlier name...which gives an error...
a vicious circle...

sbrown
2005-04-20, 06:59 PM
Open the central file while in your current file and change to the user name in question, then make any worksets with that name "uneditable". then try to save again. Or open the central in a sep revit session, create a new local from it with the other users name, try to relinquish, if that doesn't work create a new central from the new local with your problem file still open then copy/paste from your problem project to the new one.

cmahoney
2005-04-20, 10:34 PM
Luigi,

It sounds to me like what you did was open a local file that belonged to user OEM and tried to edit elements in worksets belonging to user OEM1. These are two different users, they may in fact both be you but Revit doesn't know that. When you changed your username to OEM1 and edited these elements Revit by design prohibited you from saving OEM's local file back to the central (you aren't OEM at this time). Additionally, you cannot change your name back to OEM because you have edited worksets belonging to OEM1 in this session. At this point your only solution is to create a new central file. This shouldn't be a problem if you were the only one working on the project as all the most up to date changes should be present in this file.

In the future, to obtain timely support, your best bet is to log a Support Request through the Subscription Center (http://www.autodesk.com/supportrequest). We try to monitor the discussion groups when we can, but the Subscription Center is our first priority.

luigi
2005-04-21, 02:04 PM
Thank you Scott and Chris, I sent a request to support as well (but still no response from support, I didn't even get a log of the request, I will try doing it through subscription later)I will try a few things Scott suggested (I think I tried one suggestions) and if I have to I will copy and paste as needed....

Thank you,

luigi
2005-04-21, 02:14 PM
BTW, Chris, wouldn't it make sense to allow users to Save As, at a minimum, in this situation...so that with the new file one can turn that into the new central file....I am kinda stuck now, and will have to lose the work I did, which was very quick while deciding correcting elements to the project....now I will need to remember all that was discussed and changed yesterday...

Thanks,

cmahoney
2005-04-21, 04:10 PM
Save as should be allowed. I overlooked where you said it wasn't. What error do you get when you try this?

luigi
2005-04-21, 05:03 PM
I closed the file...I copied/pasted, horrible nightmare...

But it said that I couldn't save (wouldn't allow me to get to the window) I had to either change my name to the previous one, or to stop working and close the file. It allowed me to get to the STC window, but with the obvious error.

luigi
2005-04-21, 05:26 PM
I lied, I did have it opened and captured a screen shot....

cmahoney
2005-04-25, 08:03 PM
That's the message you should get if you try to save OEM's local file while working as OEM1. You should not get this message when executing a Save as.

Can you open a Support Request and attach the journal file from this session? It may give us some idea of what's going on.

luigi
2005-04-26, 07:11 AM
I found the journal file, I will try to find time later to do what you requested.

Thanks,

luigi
2005-04-26, 08:33 AM
Chris, I posted the problem at the subscription request support, but it seems that Nich Hahn is dismissing it as bad workset practice (which it is and was) without thinking that it should have allowed me to "Save As", I posted an update there explaining in greater detail, but I don't know how he'll respond, I included your name in all my posts there.

Thanks,

cmahoney
2005-04-26, 11:57 AM
What's the SR#? I'll take a look.

Nevermind the SR#, I found it.

cmahoney
2005-04-26, 07:24 PM
Apparently this is working as expected, I am sorry I gave you false hope. We prohibit users from editing other user's local files by prohibiting saves of any kind. When you changed your username an error message would have appeared to tell you this. I thought I had tested Save as... prior to posting in this thread and found it to work, but it doesn't. I must of tested something different.

luigi
2005-04-27, 07:34 AM
Chris, if you don't mind, don't you think that if the programmers allow users in Revit to change the user name (right or wrong it allows them) and allows them to continue working, that later there should be a way to keep the work? I understand how when there are multiple people working on a job, there are less chances to keep a single local file alive, but in my experience of working with worksets (I have since 4.5 was released) I have found that there are very often cases where a single local file is the one more important (of course not in every case, but very often during a project cycle there aren't multiple people working on a file, my experienced has been with no more than 4 people working at one time in my previous firm, but for the most part it was the project manager, yours truly)

So, I guess I am asking, it should be the users prerogative to be allowed to make the local file a possible central file during SaveAs. The work is in there in the file, it is just a matter to save it.

Maybe I am missing something in the big picture, but currently it seems wrong.

Thanks for taking this matter seriously,

cmahoney
2005-04-27, 04:03 PM
I agree that we should do something to prevent this. I will file a request on your behalf.

luigi
2005-04-27, 04:32 PM
Thank you Chris.