PDA

View Full Version : Timberframe

harkeychad
2005-04-20, 06:46 PM
Has anyone done any work with Timberframe using bents and purlins? I am doing a timberframe custom home and using revit w/o any experience. I have most of the home covered except for the roof, bents, foundation and a few various items. If anyone is in the saint louis area, I would like to talk with you about possible instruction on these matters. Please email me directly. harkeychad@aol.com

Kroke
2005-04-20, 06:51 PM
"Bents"? Never heard of it. What are bents? I do timberframes using Revit. Mostly structrual timber roofs/log accents type of stuff tho.

harkeychad
2005-04-20, 08:02 PM
A bent is a timberframe term. The bent forms the profile of a structure ie.: gable end. 2 bents form a by connected by purlins in the roof and plates on the side. A bent is made up of posts, rafters, collar tie, king wwebs or queen posts, a girt, and knee braces. Bays can be as long as 16-18"+- and as many as you want. the other timberframing is using a series of rafters and ridge beam. Bents are self supporting.

SkiSouth
2005-04-20, 08:32 PM
Has anyone done any work with Timberframe using bents and purlins? I am doing a timberframe custom home and using revit w/o any experience. I have most of the home covered except for the roof, bents, foundation and a few various items.. harkeychad@aol.com

Revit can handle it. You'll have to get your head around reference planes, but its no big deal. A little ATV barn as a prelim for a client is attached. No details developed, but you can see how it goes together. As you can tell, I only "developed" one side for the prelim perspectives to show the client..

Kroke
2005-04-20, 08:40 PM
Ahh, ok, I'm not farmilliar w/ the term. Here is another example but with round logs, you can do all the timeberframing you want with Revit...give it a go.

SkiSouth, is there any way I could get that battnboard hatch from you? Or do you know where you got it? TIA

SkiSouth
2005-04-20, 08:51 PM
No problem - its a VERY simple hatch. It works good for metal roofs, siding etc. Beats trying to model the true plan section (although that would be neat if it were easy).
cut and paste at will.

Cool Aerial Kroke.

*mroof,standing seam metal roof
;%TYPE=MODEL
90, 0, 0, 0, 12
90, 1.5, 0, 0, 12

Kroke
2005-04-20, 09:54 PM
Awesome man, thank you. Looking at your barn takes me back to the days when I had to build those in the nasty weather (for 7 long years) ;)

cjcarch
2008-10-08, 04:36 AM
Hi,
I'm an absolutely new Revit user and having been through a number of the tutorials, I'm ready to jump in headfirst on my first residential project.

The client wants the exterior wall to be a double stud wall system (2 separate walls with staggered studs and double the insulation). He wants the exterior wall surface to have a 2x10 "belly band" at the bottom of the wall, board and batten siding for 4' above that, horizontal cedar trim above that, and cedar shingles to the top of the wall.

In getting started on this project, I feel that my first task is to construct a wall type that will meet these needs. I've found a tutorial in Paul Aubin's book aobut creating stacked wall types but I have no idea how to construct the board and batten part of the wall. I noticed in a reply above that a hatch pattern for metal roofing would work for board and batten siding. I've copied the pattern into the .pat file but where I go from there, I'm not sure how to proceed. In creating a wall type, does one "apply" a hatch pattern to the exterior surface, or what?

Any words of advice or wisdom, or just pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to participating in these forums.
Carl