PDA

View Full Version : roof above in plan

mmolina
2005-04-21, 12:58 AM
Hi all,
We are doing our first project in Revit. A 60 unit (duplexes) HUD housing project.
It's been great. I'll probably be asking
some simple questions for a couple of weeks. So try and bear with me.

Is there a way to have the roof overhang show up dashed in plan? without tracing it
with linework

thanks
Mark Molina
Lucchesi Galati Architects, Las Vegas
www.lgainc.com

beegee
2005-04-21, 01:27 AM
Without tracing the roof outline..... you would use the sheet overlay technique.

Place a floor plan view on a sheet.
Duplicate the roof plan and using Visibility Graphics , over-ride the linework to be a dashed line type. Set the view to wireframe and turn off the walls and surface pattern if necessary.
Place the duplicate roof plan over the floor plan on the sheet, it will snap to align.

mlgatzke
2005-04-21, 04:31 AM
beeg,

Why couldn't he just set the Underlay to show the roof outline. Then, using the Linework Tool, set the roof outline to show as Hidden or Overhead. Then, return to View Properties and turn off the Underlay. Voila, the roof outline shows, is dynamic, and (to me) uses fewer steps and fewer views in the project. I prefer the Keep It Simple concept.

aaronrumple
2005-04-21, 04:49 AM
Because when you add in new walls you have to repeat the process. The overlay technique - once set up - stays current throughout the project.

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-21, 04:51 AM
...Then, using the Linework Tool...The big bully Linework feature comes out to pick on the poor old overlay views on sheets feature. OVOS IS simple Mike and givens the odds of making design changes during a project the BBLW tool turns into heavy labor. If lucky you get through one project without making changes that mess up the linework you've done. But over the course of several projects OVOS earns its keep!

BeeGee, Aaron and I will keep sticking up for you poor old overlay views on sheets feature, against that big bully Linework feature. ;-)

beegee
2005-04-21, 05:41 AM
Why couldn't he ?
Because he asked how to do it without using the linework tool.

beeg,

Why couldn't he just set the Underlay to show the roof outline. Then, using the Linework Tool, set the roof outline to show as Hidden or Overhead. Then, return to View Properties and turn off the Underlay. Voila, the roof outline shows, is dynamic, and (to me) uses fewer steps and fewer views in the project. I prefer the Keep It Simple concept.

Alex Page
2005-04-21, 06:54 AM
beegee, I think he meant without tracing lines over it.........the term linework has more meanings other than the revit 'command'...linework tool was never meantioned

beegee
2005-04-21, 07:49 AM
possible.... anyway, OVOS still has the edge over BBLW. :|

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-04-21, 12:35 PM
Totally agree here, overlaying sheet is the way to do it, as for cluttering the project browser with view. Customize it, et voila!
:-)

SCShell
2005-04-21, 01:46 PM
Hey there,

Don't make me separate you two! They both are powerfull tools and methods. You just need to decide when to use which. (Why can't we just get along?)

Steve

mmolina
2005-04-21, 04:48 PM
thank you everyone. lot of good info.

-Mark

Merlin
2005-05-04, 11:04 PM
There is one other way that no-one's mentioned yet.
In the View Properties of the Plan, you turn on the underlay to Roof Plan. In Visibility Graphics turn off all except the fascia (if that's what your wanting displayed ?) and under the Projection column change the line type to the hidden/dashed/whatever.....Boom!..roof lines over are displayed and no OVOS or BBLW!

Do I get Brownie points for watering down an argument? ;-)

John Mc

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-04, 11:27 PM
...Do I get Brownie points for watering down an argument?... ;-)No! You didn't offer a four letter acronym for your solution...automatic disqualification! :razz:

knurrebusk
2005-05-04, 11:40 PM
In the View Properties of the Plan, you turn on the underlay to Roof Plan. In Visibility Graphics turn off all except the fascia (if that's what your wanting displayed ?) and under the Projection column change the line type to the hidden/dashed/whatever.....Boom!..roof lines over are displayed and no OVOS or BBLW!

John Mc

Thank you!

Merlin
2005-05-05, 03:23 AM
No! You didn't offer a four letter acronym for your solution...automatic disqualification! :razz:

hmmm.....how about NLOV.....(no linework or views)?....nah!...it doesn't "sing" like the others

rdaniel
2007-06-18, 10:29 PM

John Mc

When I do this, my valleys and ridges still show up. Anybody know how to just get the roof outline on the plans?

t1.shep
2009-11-02, 04:41 PM
What are people doing for their "Roof Plan" views? Are you creating a new level above all the others, using your site view, or duplicating an existing level and changing its view range?
I'm struggling with this for some reason, as I can't get my roof to show in my floor plan, changing the view range will show it, but then the linework override disappears when I change the view back. I have a level above that shows the roof I want, but when I use that as an underlay, the roof doesn't show up.