PDA

View Full Version : Wall Joins with 4 walls...help!

gordgraff
2005-04-21, 03:07 AM
Hello

I am trying to join 4 walls together but am having problems. All the walls share the same core type, however they have different finish properties (therefore, they exist as different wall types in Revit). When joining the walls individually, everything works fine for the first three walls, but once the 4th wall is added it doesn't seem to want to join correctly. As you can see from the image posted, the finish material is shown separating the wall from the rest of the assembly, but i need the walls to join cleanly to show the interior cores connected. Hopefully this hasn't been answered before, i did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find a solution.

Thanks
Gord

P.S. I also attached a mock file that has the walls in case you want to try it out for yourself. Thanks

aaronrumple
2005-04-21, 05:05 AM
An example for the factory to improve their wall joins.

I got it as close as I could. 3 walls auto join. 1 wall disallowed join and then used join geometry once in place.

stuntmonkee
2005-04-21, 04:08 PM
Freaky. . .I was just posting the same problem.

gordgraff
2005-04-21, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the reply guys...i feared that this was a glitch with the program that needed to be addressed. This seems like it would be a pretty common error for a big project, so there has to be a way to override the 4th wall and make it join properly, but perhaps i'm optimistic. If not the HAS to be addressed in Revit 8 or with a patch, it is totally unacceptable to be unable to draw this type of wall condition.

Is there somewhere i should go to ask autodesk directly? If someone is reading this from Autodesk, could you please tell me if this is just beyond the limits of Revit 7, or if there is a way to make this wall condition work. Thanks

Gord

bowlingbrad
2005-04-21, 08:31 PM
You can try calling support (866) 467-3848

or by email revitsupport@autodesk.com

JTF
2005-04-21, 09:19 PM
I'm sure we all have this problem sometime or another.

But in some cases I have noticed that after playing around with this situation by pulling all the walls apart and trimming in different ways I have actually seen the condition clean up.

Because of this I still spend to much time trying to get it to clean up every time.

Strange but true.

If I can remember and find the files in which they are cleaned up I will post the file.

gordgraff
2005-04-22, 12:05 AM
Yea JTF, I'd love to see that file if you still have it. It seems as though i've tried all the possibilities of pulling the wall apart end editing the wall joins or joining the geometry.

JTF
2005-04-27, 03:36 PM
Here is an exported image untouched that shows the cleaned up 4 corners.
No hidden fills or linework.

The file is to big to post and I have tried to copy and paste the four walls only to a new file but cannot get them to clean up the same way yet.

Stange but true.

JTF
2005-08-11, 10:14 AM
Here it is again. Or am I just going crazy.

Four wall intersection clean up without even trying.

I still have some other situations that won't clean up on other drawings but this one does.

Anyone care to comment.

aaronrumple
2005-08-11, 01:07 PM
Send these to support whensver you get them. They are looking to improve performance of wall joins.

screamingbluemessiah
2006-04-14, 01:30 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to Revit, but not to BIM... I have used ADT for several years now, and I am evaluating Revit for my office. I have run across this very problem in Revit 8.... this type of occurance (4 walls intersecting) is no problem in ADT. This thread didn't post any kind of solution to this problem in Revit. Is there a work around, or am I SOL? Does this problem occur in Revit 9? It seems like a serious glitch, to have something so simple and common error like this.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

beegee
2006-04-14, 01:40 AM
The problem does not occur in Revit 9,

The workaround in revit 8 was to split the wall.

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-14, 01:46 AM
The easy answer to the original solution is to turn off the wall join on the two interior walls and use join geo to get them to clean up against the exterior walls, which are allowed to join. I almost never have trouble with wall joins where 3+ walls are intersecting because 90% of the time I only need two walls to clean up; the rest just get disallowed joins. Thank goodness they allowed the right-click toggling of joining on wall ends in 8.1!