PDA

View Full Version : OK it's the 16th of December

rhys
2003-12-16, 09:30 AM
And has been for 9hrs GMT where's the frantic speculation over release time!
12.00hrs EST?, 11.59 PST? must be nearly the end of the day on Christmas Island already :)

ita
2003-12-16, 10:50 AM
.....and 6:50pm WST in Oz and nothing. Nothing!!

dm_wills1739
2003-12-16, 11:00 AM
Yes, but WHICH December?

:lol:

(The 16th is still going in the US of A...)

LG

Melarch
2003-12-16, 11:49 AM
Maybe the release is set to coincide with the release of third Lord of the Rings movie just before the stroke of midnight on the 16th.

Arnel Aguel
2003-12-16, 12:58 PM
February is just around the corner.

ajayholland
2003-12-16, 01:54 PM
I anticipate that 6.0 will be available after the Lynn Allen webcast scheduled for 10:00a.m. (PST). :D

funkman
2003-12-16, 02:10 PM
I can't sleep...it is 1.08am on the 17th and 6.0 is not on autodesks site yet.

I think you can hold off giving the prize for the correct guess

christopher.zoog51272
2003-12-16, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing sometime before the close of business US Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5)
maybe say 5 pm?

Z.

JamesVan
2003-12-16, 02:43 PM
Scroll down to see the details...

Press Release

Autodesk Launches Revit 6, Delivering a Competitive Business Advantage to Progressive Design Firms

New Features and Functionality in Autodesk Building Information Modeling Platform Help Architects to Win Projects and Retain Clients

SAN RAFAEL, Calif., December 16, 2003—Autodesk, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADSK), the world’s leading design software and digital content company, announced today the immediate availability of Autodesk® Revit® 6 software, the latest release of the industry’s only design platform that is purpose-built for building information modeling. Autodesk Revit 6 provides architecture, interior design, and design-build firms with a competitive business advantage by assisting them in securing new projects, retaining existing clients, and increasing profitability. New features in Revit 6 enable building industry professionals to develop compelling design proposals more quickly than with traditional design and drafting software, while enhancing design decision support and client communication once projects are underway. Building industry professionals who are ready for a new way of working and want to make use of state-of-the-art parametric building modeling technology will find that Revit 6 supports the architectural design process by improving design collaboration for all members of the project team. Autodesk Revit 6 also includes enhancements that continue to deliver improved construction document coordination and quality by helping reduce mistakes and rework.

"Revit is winning us new work and helping us deliver the best possible quality to our customers," said Larry Rocha, vice president and chief information officer for Wimberly Allison Tong & Goo. "Not only does Revit assist us in winning new business, but it is helping us turn existing clients into repeat clients."

Gain a Competitive Advantage

A key element to winning projects is the ability to develop comprehensive design proposals that differentiate one’s firm from the competition. The new “design options” feature of Autodesk Revit 6 allows firms to more quickly produce and present high-quality proposals that effectively communicate design concepts to prospective clients, and it offers better decision support for ongoing design investigations once projects are secured. Beyond documenting and presenting the design itself, architects now can demonstrate the design thinking behind their proposals. The design options feature lets architects create alternate schemes inside a single project file, allowing multiple schemes to be studied in the context of the rest of the building. Multi-user teams can continue to work on schemes without disruption, and multiple options may be presented for design review. Clients can choose among the options, and the preferred option becomes part of the overall design. With the design options capability of Revit 6, building industry professionals can reduce the time required to present and achieve consensus on designs, and obtain a competitive advantage over firms using more lengthy traditional processes.

Enhanced Support for the Design Process

Autodesk Revit 6 “works like an architect” by supporting the architectural design process. In most firms, collaboration among team members is the key to success, and Autodesk Revit 6 improves design collaboration within the office and with all members of the project team. New to Revit 6, the multi-user element borrowing feature allows any team member to instantly share whichever component of the design needed to complete a particular part of the project. Along with improvements to functions such as stairs and railings, ellipses, split level plans, and curved column grids, this feature benefits users by offering better insight through the visualization and analysis of projects while they’re in process. By working like an architect, Autodesk Revit 6 helps increase productivity by cutting down on time spent coordinating efforts across the project team.

Improved Coordination and Quality

As the only software designed to support building information modeling from the start, Autodesk Revit 6 has an established history of dramatically improving the coordination and quality of construction documents. The parametric change engine in Revit drives the software’s ability to automatically update documents, eliminating coordination mistakes and rework that cause wasted effort and materials. Autodesk Revit 6 continues driving improved coordination and quality with a more powerful and customizable project browser; room areas that are now calculated individually by construction phase; views that more closely correspond to conventional detail documentation standards with less user effort; and more powerful schedules, including support for filtering and calculated fields directly in schedules. Improvements to these features enable timelier, higher quality decision support on project design, scope, schedule, and budget, and better coordinated documents that lead to smoother construction and reduced costs.

Increased Profitability

Throughout the building process, profitability is the result of improved productivity and lower costs. Autodesk Revit 6 delivers a significant reduction in production time from schematic design through final construction documentation with improvements to data export, including export of shared parameters and element IDs, allowing connections between business data and geometry information outside of the Revit application. Additional enhancements include the ability to save families directly out from projects and productivity tools that make both design and documentation faster and easier. These features, along with the inherent benefits of building information modeling, yield a more efficient design process—one that minimizes cost and maximizes productivity to increase profitability.

“As the global building industry becomes increasingly competitive, leading design and construction organizations are focusing on process innovation,” said Phillip G. Bernstein, FAIA, vice president, Autodesk building solutions division. “Autodesk Revit 6 offers these firms a new way to use technology to expand their practices and serve as trusted advisors to their clients.”

Product Availability

Autodesk Revit 6 is available for download from the Web immediately in English in most countries worldwide. Revit 6, when combined with Autodesk® Subscription, benefits customers with the latest releases and enhancements of Autodesk software, personalized web support direct from Autodesk technical experts, and self-paced training developed by Autodesk to help extend product skills. Migrations and transfers from other Autodesk products will also be available for all customers, regardless of subscription status. For more information on purchasing Autodesk Revit, contact an Autodesk Authorized Reseller, call Autodesk at 800-964-6432, or visit www.autodesk.com/revit.

Dean Camlin
2003-12-16, 02:53 PM
Not yet, as of 9:55 a.m. EST.

aggockel50321
2003-12-16, 03:29 PM
Autodesk Revit 6 is available for download from the Web immediately in English in most countries worldwide

I've tried all the English speaking countries that I can think of...

gregcashen
2003-12-16, 03:40 PM
I still win...says so in the press release. Woo hoo! I'm the winner!

Now where's my 6.0?

rhys
2003-12-16, 03:41 PM
sad or wot 19 users online all waiting for what to happen?
1hr 20min to the Lyn Allen webcast re Revit Series for US and Canada only. I've lied about my location again. Will she announce the immediate release again?

PeterJ
2003-12-16, 03:57 PM
You beat me to it Rhys, I noted we are showing most ever as 27 online at once today. 5% of the Zoog community give or take.

rhys
2003-12-16, 04:02 PM
25 and rising bet we all disappear at once :lol: and to the same place.

slb
2003-12-16, 04:06 PM
I know it looks official, and it may even be a draft document from somewhere in Autodesk, but if you look on the Autodesk wire at Press Materials (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=702478) you'll see that this document has not been released... nor has Revit 6.0.

I understand, even at A.U., some dates were mentioned...

The long and the short of it is, 6.0 has not been released yet.

I know everyone is looking forward to it, but you'll need to be patient a bit longer. Believe me when I tell you the reason for this perceived delay are very much worth the wait (and no, I cannot get specific on what or when).

I also want to assure you that I will be posting a release here, and at the new Autodesk Revit Discussion Group (http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=133) (designed to eventually replace alt.cad.revit) as soon as Revit 6.0 is released.

On behalf of Autodesk, I apologize for the confusion.

rhys
2003-12-16, 04:34 PM
well it'll still be interesting to hear what Lynn Allen has to say about Revit Series cross licencing, a free copy of Revit with 80-T or maybe a free copy of 60-T with Revit 6 :lol:

JamesVan
2003-12-16, 04:37 PM
I know it looks official, and it may even be a draft document from somewhere in Autodesk, but if you look on the Autodesk wire at Press Materials (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=702478) you'll see that this document has not been released... nor has Revit 6.0.

:oops: Oops. My bad. When I get a "press release" from a trusted source, I assume that it's an actual "press release".

aggockel50321
2003-12-16, 04:54 PM
I know everyone is looking forward to it, but you'll need to be patient a bit longer. Believe me when I tell you the reason for this perceived delay are very much worth the wait (and no, I cannot get specific on what or when).

OK gregcashen Mail back that check!

gregcashen
2003-12-16, 06:02 PM
Hey. I don't know why you are having problems with this. I am right. It WAS released today. I downloaded it at midnight. I am currently starting my first project with it right now. This railing tool is amazing! Oh my gawd, the options feature is really cool. I wish you guys could see this, but there is somethng wrong with the "prt sc" button on my laptop, so I can't print an image of my screen...sorry. Maybe later.

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-16, 06:39 PM
Your nose is getting longer, Pinocchio...

gregcashen
2003-12-16, 06:51 PM
Oh sure...now you pipe up, He-Who-Has-Had-Revit6-Since-Summer. :wink:

Scott Hopkins
2003-12-16, 08:03 PM
I can't take it anymore! I want my MTV! - errrr - I mean my 6.0!

jbalding48677
2003-12-16, 10:23 PM
Post withdrawn.

rhys
2003-12-16, 10:34 PM
No Jim what we need is a wider and more inclusive beta testing programme. Autodesk has in the past adopted a policy in this area that has recognized this. In the case of Revit it appears that we are not considered mature enough as a group of users to be widley trusted to accept that v6.00 of anything needs to be treated with respect. 6.00 now could and I suspect will allow a Xmas review by "anoracks" for a Feb release of 6.1. Basic really what most software developers do, surely.

rhys
2003-12-16, 10:58 PM
just thought about your options again Jim its "B" better most of the information, with a revision A,issued as soon as I have worked all night. Is this a cultural thing? Between Architects and Software developers?
1. Time
2.Quality
3.Cost
So we all try to
1.Meet the time deadline
2. Try your damdest to meet the quality
3. Put it right at your own cost if you fail, and as soon as possible.
But always meet the deadline.
Basic business sense.
Still Revit 6 will be great I can wait and I won't use it till Feb till 6.1 anyway, been there and done that.

phillsim1816
2003-12-16, 11:48 PM
I like Answer C at the Moment in anticipation of 6.0 !! LOL :D

It maybe time for a beer run!

But I agree that it's better to get it right initially then fumble with something that not to your satisfaction!!

:wink:

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-17, 12:08 AM
Let me dampen the 6'oh mood a bit...since it is a new release and also now using a "new" (to long term Revit users) license scheme, I believe those of us using network licensing will have the extra fun of contacting Autodesk to get new authorization files to add to our existing Autodesk license pools (those of you that have them).

Those of you using stand alone seats should have a little less "trouble" since usually you can authorize those via the web.

Basically, it's not going to work "out of the box" without a visit to Autodesk Product Authorization group first....

All assumptions of course based on my experience with other Autodesk products, your mileage may vary...

Archman
2003-12-17, 12:48 AM
I too am eagerly awaiting the release of Revit 6.0, but due to the fast track schedule of the project I am working on, we will not migrate it to 6.0 right away anyway. So, reluctantly, I can wait.

P.S.

It sounds like 6.0 is going to be a GREAT program.

beegee
2003-12-17, 12:55 AM
Leonid Raiz posted good advice on 6.0.

He said keep both versions and don't upgrade projects to 6.0 straight away.

Just play around with it, ... get to know it. That applies doubly to projects in current production.
Once you upgrade a project to 6.0 there's no going back, so if there's any glitch, its off to support to deal with and there goes your deadline.

Of course, I'm not saying there would be or could be a problem. .....

aggockel50321
2003-12-17, 01:41 PM
Gheeeeze!

It's the 17th & no news yet.

Logging onto Zoog reminds me of watching my kids open the doors on their Christmas Advent calenders...

slb's
Believe me when I tell you the reason for this perceived delay are very much worth the wait is very similar to what I'd tell the kids after they daily opened each door...

JamesVan
2003-12-19, 03:22 PM
Believe me when I tell you the reason for this perceived delay are very much worth the wait (and no, I cannot get specific on what or when).

Hey Steve,

Now that's 6.0 is officially out, can you enlighten us as to what items, if any, were added or enhanced at the last minute? Just curious.

BTW, 6.0 rocks! I'm still stumbling upon each new subtlety as the days pass. Thank you all for a job well done. Now, on to Revision Management!