PDA

View Full Version : Revit 6.0

Melarch
2003-12-16, 11:46 AM
It's the 16th, has anyone found a download site for the new release?

fernando
2003-12-16, 12:01 PM
nop :(
trieing since 00:00 TMG

jbalding48677
2003-12-16, 10:24 PM
Post withdrawn.

Scott D Davis
2003-12-16, 10:29 PM
I'm not worried, shoot, it's only 2:30pm PST here in California. I've got 9 and a half hours until the 16th is behind us.....

....the Rev-Dev team will get it done. I'm just lucky enough to live near the end of the time zone!

gregcashen
2003-12-16, 10:51 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen -

Let me put this in terms that you might understand.

If you had a set of drawings ready to go out for construction and found an error or had to make a last minute revision, would you:

A. Take the time to make the revision, follow up on it and make it right...
B. Say, "Forget it, today is the day we said it would be published, and by gosh, today we will publish, I don't care if the set is incomplete"...
C. Say, "Oh well, let's have a beer and think about it"...

I think you will all be happier if you just wait patiently and download it when it is ready.

Almost always option C.

Greg :wink:

bclarch
2003-12-17, 03:45 PM
One of the problems with waiting to fix just one more thing is that this was originally intended to be a fall release.

gregcashen
2003-12-17, 04:23 PM
According to who? i mean, even the Dec. 16 date was tentative according to everyone that mentioned it. We were well warned that the date we were told might not be the final release date. It's a big update; I'd rather it be done right than right now.

bclarch
2003-12-17, 08:46 PM
Fall release was based on their previous statements regarding releases every 6 months. 5.1 was released in in the first week of May (and I believe it was later than promised). I'm not counting 5.1L because it was just a licensing control change, not a functionality improvement. 6 months would have put us in the first week of November. Although I haven't done a search of past posts I seem to remember that there was even a lot of discussion about a possible October release.

There was even a post by David Conant or Leonid Raiz that included the timeline of past releases. If my memory is correct, it worked out to almost three per year before the buyout and this year it might only be one if 6.0 doesn't arrive shortly.

I too am willing to wait a little longer to get things right. I also think it is reasonable for us to expect Autodesk to live up to their representations. If we don't call them on it, it is likely to just get worse. I had hoped that the Revit idea of customer relations would rub off on Autodesk and not the other way around.

Since things often appear harsher in print than intended, I just want to clarify that this is not meant to be a rant. I am not sitting here with steam coming out of my ears. (Hmm, great idea for a new emoticon.) I merely wanted to make the point that we, as users, deserve some consideration as well.

gregcashen
2003-12-17, 08:57 PM
Sure, but it is my understanding that Waltham is largely unchanged. The only thing that has changed is that there is now drastically increased scrutiny, since they are now the left arm of the 800lb. gorilla and part of a public company. They can no longer afford to release r13's (as in Autocad r13).

mlgatzke
2003-12-17, 11:52 PM
I agree that the date of 12/16 was ALWAYS mentioned as tentative. Many of the people who gave the 16th as a release date AND mentioned that it was tentative were VERY reluctant to even mention the date at all. Personally, I think that R6 being posted 1 day late is an EXCELLENT accomplishment. I don't mind having to wait. As Jim said, publish it right - not right now.

I don't want Revit to EVER get into the same predicament that AutoCAD r13 was in. I want Revit to STAY solid and reliable.