PDA

View Full Version : a workable workstation...

bbapties
2005-04-21, 05:58 PM
I was just offered a job to start a new firm with a established architect. He is old school and likes to hand draft.... He wants me to come start the firm with him to be his Cad department....I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna take the offer...He told me that there is a blank office space waiting for me and him to move into... He wants me to give him a list of items I need to be able to start.... (the main things)

When it comes to hardware Im lost..... Has anyone done any leg work on the best bang for the buck on certain stuff....

All that I need immediatly is ....

a computer (w/ adt2006) prebuit ready to go...............
a decent size L-shaped desk.........................................
a 11X17 printer...................................................................
a plotter w/ 24" roll paper (w/ color capabilties)...........

Im open for some suggestions on brands and models........I obviously dont have an open budget cause its a brand new firm..... but he realizes that he is going to have to get these things before I can even come over...

Thanks everyone....

sid.fontenot550
2005-04-22, 01:00 PM
I was just offered a job to start a new firm with a established architect. He is old school and likes to hand draft.... He wants me to come start the firm with him to be his Cad department....I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna take the offer...He told me that there is a blank office space waiting for me and him to move into... He wants me to give him a list of items I need to be able to start.... (the main things)

When it comes to hardware Im lost..... Has anyone done any leg work on the best bang for the buck on certain stuff....

All that I need immediatly is ....

a computer (w/ adt2006) prebuit ready to go...............
a decent size L-shaped desk.........................................
a 11X17 printer...................................................................
a plotter w/ 24" roll paper (w/ color capabilties)...........

Im open for some suggestions on brands and models........I obviously dont have an open budget cause its a brand new firm..... but he realizes that he is going to have to get these things before I can even come over...

Thanks everyone....

Morning Brian.
Sounds like a great opportunity. Hopefully the pc will be maxed out with ram, video card, and other things like a multiple button mouse and dvd burner.
I just ordered a Lanier (235) printer. It is color and 11x17. It was only $5000. Check into that.(also get the 128mb ram upgrade) If he can afford it go with the 36" plotter. HP 1055's
are a good choice.
First things first. Put together a set of drafting/cad standards. Make sure he agrees with them and is willing to make them stand.
Not sure how big the firm will get but go ahead a write a job desciption for yourself (as Cad/Drafting Manager) and write one for cad drafters/designers.
That should be a good start. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Also, feel free to email me or post here if you have any questions.

cridder_
2005-04-22, 02:41 PM
i helped start a MEP firm, here are some thoughts:

-set your boundaries now.
-what is expected of you, 40 hours, 60 hours a week.
-if you are the head of the cad dept, then you are in charge, he is going to have to -compromise with you & vice versa.
-it is really exciting to start a venture, till you burn yourself out.
-sign a contract that covers the first year, get a severance if they have to let you go.
-what is % of raise after first year, don't let them 1% you.
-you are not there to be micromanaged.
-if you have adt & he hand drafts, the design process is going to be difficult.
-protect your drafters, if you are not working overtime, then they can, but should not be expected to, or held against them if they don't.
-add an 1 or 2 hours to estimates of completing a task.
-learn to say ' no, i am sorry, i have to finish this first.'
-don't let everything be an emergency.
-don't watch 'who wants to be a millionaire' while your staff is busting the rears.
-part of your job is to realize when it isn't fun anymore.

don't look at these thoughts as negatives, 'cause after burning myself out after 1 year & leaving, if somebody asked me to do it again, I WOULD.

Give 'em Heck.

bbapties
2005-04-22, 05:13 PM
I left alot of the details out but yes I've addressed those issues and many more with him....We already work together (just working for a contractor) Now we will be a seperate company....so work flow and ethics are already established.....

I set the company that I currently work for up with acad so I basically have cad standards and system structure down.....

Its just a matter of having all new hardware now.......... So I need to come up with a list of the equipment I need to produce what Im already doing.....I dont want to throw him into next week with some expensive top of the line stuff cause we are working with older equipment now and he knows that I can work with this. But at the same time this would be a great time to get some better equipment. (im just going to have to justify the upgrades.... Thats why I was wondering If anyone else had done any leg work on this here recently...

mtlynn
2005-04-22, 07:20 PM
Go with a Dell computer, the best they offer.

We use HP5000 printers B&W 11x17 or HP 5500n for color 11x17

Get a laser plotter if the $$ is there, if not a HP1050 is a great deal.

Good Luck