PDA

View Full Version : Changing Level Extents

DaveP
2005-04-21, 07:32 PM
We drew some of our Levels too short, and as a result, they don't show up in some (most) Sections and Elevations.
According to the Revit Help file (Datum Extents and Visibility), I need to change the 3D Extents by selecting the Datum and dragging the control. I can grab the 2D extent grip (the filled one), but I can't drag the 3D (open) grip because I can't select it.

How do I drag the sucker over if I can't pick it? When I move the mouse over the open circle, I get the Greek Cross Move icon.

BTW, this Level does not have any Scope Boxes associated with it.

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-21, 07:35 PM
...How do I drag the sucker over if I can't pick it? When I move the mouse over the open circle, I get the Greek Cross Move icon...Based on your image, you should select the level highlighted in the image, right click, choose Reset 3D Extents. You'll be able to adjust the position in this view again. You could just switch to another view that hasn't used the 2D over ride of the level if there is one...

When the reverse is true and you can't even see the open circle: The view you are trying to grab it from has a crop region that is inside where the 3D extent marker is...drag the crop region boundary over until it is past the open circle.

DaveP
2005-04-21, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the quick response.
Tried what you suggested - Reset the 3D Extents, and tried to drag the Extents back out again, but I get the same results. The 2D grip moves, and the 3D stays in the same place.

I need to change the 3D extents because we're cutting a whole lot of sections and the Levels don't show up in them. Please don't tell me I have to go back into EVERY section and adjust the 2D Extents on them all!

DaveP
2005-04-21, 09:28 PM
Revit support says they know what the problem is.

This happens sometimes when a project is converted from 6.1 to 7.0.
There is a fix, but not for us normal people, only at the factory.

Our project was drawn in 7.0 "almost" the whole way.
The template had been created in 6.1, but had been upgraded to 7.0 before this project started.

Guess that means you should ALWAYS redo your templates with each new version.

mlgatzke
2005-04-21, 10:20 PM
Isn't that a bummer? I've run into this "glitch" as well. I too have thought that, perhaps, I should rebuild my templates with each new release - so as to avoid these problems. However, isn't that a depressing thought? I don't know about all of you, but my templates are rather large, complex, highly customized files (not to mention the families that are preloaded into them). I REALLY don't want to think about having to rebuild my templates with each new Revit release.

Please don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Revit and think it's absolutely THE BEST application for architecture. However, it's obstacles like this that annoy the heck out of me. The last thing I need is more unbillable time.