PDA

View Full Version : Text causing problems w/ interior elevations

patricks
2005-04-25, 01:43 PM
I have an interior elevation that is acting very wierd when I add text notes to it. At first, if I do a zoom extents, the view fills the screen. As soon as I start adding text notes, no matter where the note is in the view, doing a zoom extents then zooms WAY out, making the view very small in the middle of the screen.

Consequently, when I place the view on a sheet, the boundaries of the view extends out very very wide, even though the crop region is only immediately around the view area I want.

What could cause this? It's quite disruptive when I'm trying to arrange sheets and have this view pre-highlighting all over the sheet.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-04-25, 01:59 PM
Are you definately using drafting text?

patricks
2005-04-25, 02:45 PM
Drafting text? Is there model text, too? I'm using the text under the drafting menu.

beegee
2005-04-25, 10:25 PM
It's usually caused by a dwg that has been imported into the project.

>>What could cause this? It's quite disruptive when I'm trying to arrange sheets and have this view pre-highlighting all over the sheet.

patricks
2005-04-26, 01:46 AM
Well I don't know... I was just working on an exterior elevation a moment ago. The DWG site plan that is imported is turned off in both the view and the workset for this particular elevation view. Before I started working on the elevation, the box that pre-highlights when you roll over the view on the sheet was just as big as the view itself. Then I drew one line, and placed a "CJ" below it for brick control joint, and then suddenly the pre-highlight box got super wide.

Here's another wierd thing, if I copied each piece individually (either the line or the text), the dotted box that appears when you hit the copy button was only as big was each object. But if I copied both the line and the text together, the dotted box was also super-wide.

I bet it's related to the problems I'm having with the level visibility in some of my elevations. The project was started with north pointing down, and I spun the whole project around 180 degrees at one point, and I think the 3D extents of my levels are all screwed up now, and I still haven't figured out how to fix it. :(

Might just have to resort to 1-800-GO-REVIT

Mr Spot
2005-04-26, 03:29 AM
Well I don't know... I was just working on an exterior elevation a moment ago. The DWG site plan that is imported is turned off in both the view and the workset for this particular elevation view. Before I started working on the elevation, the box that pre-highlights when you roll over the view on the sheet was just as big as the view itself. Then I drew one line, and placed a "CJ" below it for brick control joint, and then suddenly the pre-highlight box got super wide.

Here's another wierd thing, if I copied each piece individually (either the line or the text), the dotted box that appears when you hit the copy button was only as big was each object. But if I copied both the line and the text together, the dotted box was also super-wide.

I bet it's related to the problems I'm having with the level visibility in some of my elevations. The project was started with north pointing down, and I spun the whole project around 180 degrees at one point, and I think the 3D extents of my levels are all screwed up now, and I still haven't figured out how to fix it. :(

Might just have to resort to 1-800-GO-REVIT
Scope box is your best method for levels resolution...

Gadget Man
2005-04-26, 08:29 AM
Well, it might be something totally different, but the symptoms are pretty similar to what I had with a title block, that was made from a template shipped with the program (it could be as early version as 5.1 though, since I was simply updating this title block in every consecutive release, without editing it).

What it was, whenever I "zoomed all" inside family editor for this particular file, my title block was changed into a "dot in the Universe"... I could never use "Zoom All" there, and every time I forgot about it, I was very frustrated!

What it turned out to be, was that the annotation (label) for the sheet number was soooo long, that it went for miles (in the scale). Yet, I couldn’t see its "border" until I actually clicked on it. Because I had no reason to click on it for over a year, I suffered unnecessary for that long. Now, when I simply shortened its boundary, it works perfect.

While your case seems to be slightly different (a text object rather than a label), the reason might be somewhat similar...

Just some food for thought...

patricks
2005-05-04, 08:47 PM
I'm bringing this back up to the top, with a screen shot attached of what's going on. In this image I have the left middle building section highlighted, see how wide the box is? The crop region, which is turned on, is immediately around the building, yet the view's selection box in red is way off the sides of the sheet. :(

Mr Spot
2005-05-04, 11:12 PM
This is a known issue, and is typically to do with curtain walls... It is very frustrating.