PDA

View Full Version : isolate parts of the model

tatjana.dzambazova
2005-04-26, 04:01 AM
This forum has so many profi's that it is questionable if this is new or a tip for the majority of you :). But I will take the risk to share it with you, just in case you didnt know :

1. If you wish to isolate one part of the building for better visualisation, try this:
- you wish to cut out a part of the building - so lets say its a corner of your building. Draw a short section line long as the area you wish to isolate and adjust the depth of the section to be what you want to cut out.
- go to the 3D
- from the pulldown menu View/Orient/to other view, select the section you just created
- it will bring you to the section of this corner. you might think nothing happened - but try now spinning the section (Shift and mouse wheel)- it is namely 3D and its a real cut out of the corner of the building.
This is very useful for quick observing a part of the builidng and also quite practical presentation tool.

2. you can use the same method if you wish to isolate just one floor and show it in 3D.

- go to 3D
- View/orient / To other view/select the floor you wish to isolate
- revit turns in floor plan - but again, try spinning the plan and it becomes a 3D of just that floor.

you will find attached this tip with printscreens that make it more understandable.

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-26, 04:27 AM
We use this quite a lot when a wall join is giving us trouble; it allows us to see the other walls or floors the troublesome wall might be interacting with...

Scott D Davis
2005-04-26, 04:32 AM
Tatjana,

We use this quite regularly. It got a a really positive reaction when Matt Jezyk demostrated it at an AU Lab last year, and I show it every chance I get!

We would like to use this tool for 3D detailing, but it's a bit limited right now. I'd like the ability to select the cut plane of the section box as a Ref Plane. Then I could draft or place 2D detail components on the 'cut' of the 3D detail. This would be a hugely powerful tool!

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-04-26, 05:18 AM
Not a new trick but one worth mentioning for sure. I use this frequently to help explain complex relationships of one portion of the building to another. It's a great help to clients and consultants alike (OK, it helps me too when I'm in one of my sleep deprived coma states)Scott, I'm with you on that wish item. I dream of the day when we can start to use this type of "illustration", for lack of a better term, to document and annotate sections. I think it better demonstrates how all the components of a wall assembly relate to one another.

E-Key
2005-10-28, 01:03 PM
Our structural engineers draw rebar for every specific wall in a project. I'd like to have an ability to isolate the wall "forever" without other objects around it and place it on sheet. Is it possible in Revit today?