PDA

View Full Version : Revit 8 Impressions?

aaronrumple
2005-04-27, 01:41 AM
All of the Revit releases up to this point have wowed my and I've uttered nothing but praise the speed of development and user friendly features.

So far I'm not as impressed by rel. 8...

Groups. No change. I re-created one of my groups used in a student housing project. It failed with the typical "ungroup and regroup" which is not a solution when you have dimensions in multiple views that would need to be redone. (This feature will force me to recommend we go back to AutoCAD if our next project of 1000beds of student housing is a go. :-( )

The darn elevation symbols. Users have been complaining about these for multiple releases. They are still highly unmanageable in a large project whit lots of interior elevation symbols. It doesn't seem that it would be so difficult for the elevation symbols to inherit some of the characteristics of the section symbol. And it is still ugly.

Wood structures seem better behaved. Of course this being the "structural" release - I expected at least this. I'll need to do some more testing with past projects to make sure we can get the framing we want to work well.

Generic models with materials can now be joined to walls without losing the surface materials. So that's been fixed.

There is much to-do in the help of course about DWF and Buzzsaw. 3D DWF... as posted elsewhere - nice toy. But doesn't sell me on DWF as a format. DWF still doesn't let me create the custom sheet sizes we need. I've still no need for Buzzsaw.

This is the first installation where Revit hasn't installed flawlessly. Of course there is the accompanying Autodesk work around TS document which looks much like what one would expect from AutoCAD and ADT.

And now corrupt files which can't be opened.

Maybe I'll have a different impression once I crack open the API.

Mr Spot
2005-04-27, 01:59 AM
Sorry to hear that Aaron.

I wasn't really expecting advancements to the same extent as version 7. After all, it was an extremely short time between releases. And as such am happy with the changes/tools that have been implemented.

If there happens to be a point release where the revision schedule allows for letter issues as opposed to numbers then I'd be a happy man...

Alex Page
2005-04-27, 02:02 AM
I like the 3d dwf format, but yeah, the things I thought would be sorted out are as follows:
1. Elevation Symbols
2. Site tools
3. Steel structural joints
4. Way the 'equal-equal' dimensions work, should be able to have them to each side of an object

Seems to me that this release is a small increment, I guess the marketing guys wanted it as a new release to tie into AutoCAD 2006....

By the way, the 3d dwf format doesnt work with linked models, so there goes one huge benifit of it (ie: multi-unit housing)

Bill McLees
2005-04-27, 02:24 AM
To date, I know I have Revit 8 because of the splash screen when it opens. I have to read the PDFs to discover the changes, because nothing I actually use seems different. I used the beta as long as it was available and hoped that there would be something more in the final release.

Autocad/ADT 2006 let's you know quickly that it's different from 2005. Maybe the zooming, pre-selecting, etc. don't really do anything, but you at least realize you're using a new release.

I'm completing my first two "pure Revit" jobs and in some ways, Revit is remarkably efficient. On the other hand, I am having to create an extraordinary amount of content that does come with ADT and Archicad and should come with Revit.

beegee
2005-04-27, 02:36 AM
Looks like someone got out of bed on the wrong side....

Edit Loaded Families: This feature alone makes 8.0 invaluable.
3D DWF Export: Won a new job with that ( because of that ? ), so I'm stoked with that new feature.
Graphic Control of lines in walls roofs: Great new useful feature.
Schedule Nested Families: Excellent feature.
Midpoint Snapping for Doors and Windows: A terrific time saver.
Import DWF Markups. Good collaborative feature.
Export sheet views as a single file: Say goodbye to unwanted XREFs
File Name Options for Exports: Couldn't live without that now.
Auto wall dimensioning finds Grid Intersections: Try going back to 7.0, after using that.
Draw Order maintained for Groups: Bliss.
Default View templates: Wouldn't be without em.
Orientation Control for Underlays: Thanks Revit Team !
360° Bearing Input: Ahh, you've won me.
... and there are heaps more I haven't even mentioned.

I'm happy !

Chad Smith
2005-04-27, 02:42 AM
If there happens to be a point release where the revision schedule allows for letter issues as opposed to numbers then I'd be a happy man...
I commented to Autodesk about the same thing. I thought with all the comments on revision functionality that something (it only had to be small) may have been improved.
But there are certainly a great deal of other small enhancements, which are appreciated for such a short time frame.

:beer: 3 cheers for 360 degree site boundary inputs, that one has been number 3 on my wishlist since forever.

Joef
2005-04-27, 02:53 AM
I think the amount of time that is going to be saved being able to load a family from the family editor is significant. The dimensional lumber now works great. I think it is a pretty impressive release for what is basically the equivalent of Revit 7.1.

Joe

Marek Brandstatter
2005-04-27, 05:58 AM
Pure speculation - but I would would imagine that developing the Revit API would have absorbed plenty of the Factory's programming resources. IMHO the Revit API is a MASSIVE enhancement which we are already coding with and it looks very promising.

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades :)

(moderator's note: :cool: )

luigi
2005-04-27, 08:17 AM
Let's not forget that now you can export 3D Revit to solids. For people that only use revit it isn't a big deal, but when you need someone else to take the 3d model and work with it, it is a great feature, no more faces

nrenfro
2005-04-27, 12:50 PM
I want more improvements too!!! But I think that for the span of time between this and the last release I am very Happy with what new gizmos have been added. As for not noticing the changes instantly I applaud the Revit team for this. The format and manor in which the user interface may not satisfy all but it dose show a solid planning effort as the new features gust plugged right in as if they were always their. I think this will reduce training and orientation time as well. It's much like how I think subscription should work small improvements that are almost naturally integrated into my workflow. with that said I would still like to see more than one release a year.

Batman
2005-04-27, 01:06 PM
Seems to me that this release is a small increment, I guess the marketing guys wanted it as a new release to tie into AutoCAD 2006....

Oh ****!!

I was on subscription with ADT for some many years. Man I got tired of their once a year 'massive imporvements'. One year I'm sure all we got what were some new disks and manual.

But I suppose we have to ride the waves, the big and small.

It's just when there's only a wave a year, and the one you've been waiting for isn't one you can ride, well.......you kinda feel jipped. Damn I hate that taste!!

I'm sure more improvements will spring out as things move on. They have to.

aaronrumple
2005-04-27, 01:54 PM
Sure there are some nice features. However, my point is that there are a handful of high priority items identified by this group that got no attention in this release. The only one of the list that caused any problems was file naming and we could take care of that through a view naming system. Another on the list has always been there - export without xrefs. In 7 you could xref to DXF and you would get a file with no xrefs.

I limited my comment to just two. The problems with groups will unfortunately keep us from using Revit on an upcoming very large project. I've managed to coax our firm through 4 projects using groups. Everyone complains ad the complaints in the office are getting louder. With no noticeable changes in 8 - I'll no longer be able to defend the use of Revit for projects that use repetitive units. All of the features below combined will not make up for the time we lose fooling with groups. Unfortunately because of project types and the frustration in the office with groups, Revit may get shelved. :-( Maybe we're the only office using groups and having these issues?

The elevation symbols is another. While it doesn't keep us from using Revit, does waste a lot of time in the office. This is one that every new Revit user posts about. This one seems like a simple fix, but hasn't changed

Looks like someone got out of bed on the wrong side....

3D DWF Export: Won a new job with that ( because of that ? ), so I'm stoked with that new feature.
Auto wall dimensioning finds Grid Intersections: Try going back to 7.0, after using that.
... and there are heaps more I haven't even mentioned.

I'm happy !

cliff collins
2005-04-27, 02:15 PM
We just installed Revit 8 yesterday---all in all I'll have to agree with BeeGee---
lots of nice little/subtle improvements. I also agree with Aaron regarding the Groups
issue--we may also have this problem on an upcoming large project, which we will
try to work around, since Revit has so many other advantages. It might be good for
Aaron to expound in a bit more detail exactly what problems with groups he is experiencing, and make sure Revit developers are aware of these issues--I'm sure
they can/will be resolved.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.... and keep the Revit faith alive.

nrenfro
2005-04-27, 02:22 PM
no, I am developing "group" issues as well. Repetitive spaces are plentifully our work and improved group behavior is becoming a hotter issue for me as well. I suspect that like you it will be an issue when it come to deciding if Revit is the most efficient tool for the job.

bowlingbrad
2005-04-27, 02:27 PM
Groups = Frustration for us as well.

We are trying to stay positive during our work on a 7 story apartment building. :|

Martin P
2005-04-27, 02:45 PM
I agree with both sides, some great dditions in this release but I can see where Aaron is coming from. There are several issues that have been very long standing and looks as though we may have to wait at least another year to possibly get them. It can become frustrating to repeatedly point out some of the existing things we have are not working as well as they could be only to have them overlooked in favour adding new functions - it would be nice to have a release where all the little long standing niggles are looked at. Or if there is no intention to do these things I would like to know so I can stop adding them to wishlists year after year!! I appreciate that we cant get it all at once though, and some maybe never. It wont ever happen, but I like to know what the plans for future releases are in relation to existing functions. Groups in particular could be Revits most powerful tool if it got a good bit of attention.

Groups, handed/mirrored projects, symbols, elevation symbols, copy from project to family.... I have posted and seen others post relating to these and other subjects repeatedly.... and still will.

bowlingbrad
2005-04-27, 03:25 PM
I agree. The nagging issues aren't going away. I don't like to use the terms 'Revit' and 'workaround' in the same sentence anymore! Adesk needs to address this issue soon. I don't want to wait until after the release of 'Revit Systems'!

aggockel50321
2005-04-27, 03:33 PM
Anyone do the Web install of 8?

I just did it, & when I go to help within the program, I get a message "! Failed to launch Help"

I can launch it via Windows Explorer.

Also when I tried to start the tutorials from within the program, I got a message that said it couldn't find the "xxoo" tutorial ENU file. Once again , I went to the directory specified with windows explorer, and found that the file names did not match. I changed the file name to match what Revit was looking for, and got it to open within the program. However, the index function doesn't seem to work.

Steve_Stafford
2005-04-27, 03:38 PM
I just did it, & when I go to help within the program, I get a message "! Failed to launch Help"
Check this THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18336)

sjsl
2005-04-27, 03:52 PM

Yes!

beegee
2005-04-27, 09:50 PM
Lev Lipkin and Mat Jezyk have requested fedback on specific problems with groups in this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18362).

knurrebusk
2005-04-27, 10:24 PM
I´m just plain happy with Revit 8!

Most of my upcoming projects will be finished without any worries, it´s not perfect though :)

The site tools need a major overhaul, or a separate land-development ver!

ilya.bass
2005-04-28, 04:05 AM
Pure speculation - but I would would imagine that developing the Revit API would have absorbed plenty of the Factory's programming resources. IMHO the Revit API is a MASSIVE enhancement which we are already coding with and it looks very promising.

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades :)

(moderator's note: :cool: )

The Factory is glad to hear that you find the API promising. Out of curiosity, what sort of things are you guys doing with it? this will help inform our next steps with it.

Also, are you ADN members?

mtogni
2005-04-28, 05:25 AM
Impressions? Bad.
Looking to this newsgroup I see nothing else than things (the few ones added) that don't work or to be improved. By my side I couldn't open 2 out of 3 of my current projects...

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-28, 03:54 PM
The Factory is glad to hear that you find the API promising. Out of curiosity, what sort of things are you guys doing with it? this will help inform our next steps with it.

Also, are you ADN members?We're looking at a number of aspects of what's exposed in the API and how they could be used in a variety of ways. Costing, project scheduling, specifications... all this stuff can really get driven in more detail because of the API.

We are ADN members...

luigi
2005-04-29, 07:13 AM
Impressions? Bad.
Looking to this newsgroup I see nothing else than things (the few ones added) that don't work or to be improved. By my side I couldn't open 2 out of 3 of my current projects...
Ciao Michelangelo,
did you read the posts about the problems? There is a solution if you were using the beta version. Just checking, wouldn't want you to keep going without maybe having a solution.

Marek Brandstatter
2005-05-04, 05:57 AM

Oops Ilya, somehow missed your post . :Oops: Yes we are ADN.

At Cadplan we have been immersed in development for over a year now, working on a suite of products, mostly centered around Revit's project data.

Content Highway - manages family & types on your hard drive as well as in projects. Desktop and Web editions.
Estimate Highway - produces Uniformat/Masterformat estimates of Revit projects. Desktop and Web editions.
We have two other ambitious Highway products in the works, namely Product Highway and Project Highway - but its a little early to discuss them here.

The Revit API now allows us to directly interrogate Revit projects as well as push data back in them. All our products will benefit immensely from this ability. My developers and myself are extremely impressed with the Revit API and the promise it holds. We can only imagine how much planning and effort the Factory has put into it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have ideas for improvements and not precisely sure how to channel them (via ADN?, direct to Factory?)

marekb at cadplan dot co dot za

ilya.bass
2005-05-04, 12:02 PM
Oops Ilya, somehow missed your post . :Oops: Yes we are ADN.

At Cadplan we have been immersed in development for over a year now, working on a suite of products, mostly centered around Revit's project data.

Content Highway - manages family & types on your hard drive as well as in projects. Desktop and Web editions.
Estimate Highway - produces Uniformat/Masterformat estimates of Revit projects. Desktop and Web editions.
We have two other ambitious Highway products in the works, namely Product Highway and Project Highway - but its a little early to discuss them here.

The Revit API now allows us to directly interrogate Revit projects as well as push data back in them. All our products will benefit immensely from this ability. My developers and myself are extremely impressed with the Revit API and the promise it holds. We can only imagine how much planning and effort the Factory has put into it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have ideas for improvements and not precisely sure how to channel them (via ADN?, direct to Factory?)

marekb at cadplan dot co dot za

Hi Marek,

It is great to hear about the modules you are doing.
Yes, please communicate enhancements to ADN, we'll be gathering all the input and will of course consider it in our future release planning.

thanks

sbrown
2005-05-04, 02:23 PM
I totally agree that this isn't a WOW, with the exception of the 100's of hours that will be saved editing families over the course of a project. From my understanding, Releasing Structural is HUGE and Revit becoming a "Platform" for other discilpines, is huge. Up until this point Revit was for architects only, now it is starting its next step. This is the first step, ie interference checking. What an awesome concept!!! Your drawings reporting conflicts to you. Come on guys, this is incredible. I think the team deserves some serious praise for this release.

Now, please make groups or a totally new tool like design options that lets you assemble a complete system of pieces and parts(ie walls, doors, windows, wall sweeps, furn, etc) and copy/paste, mirror, schedule etc. without problems.

k.armstrong
2005-05-04, 03:18 PM

Now, please make groups or a totally new tool like design options that lets you assemble a complete system of pieces and parts(ie walls, doors, windows, wall sweeps, furn, etc) and copy/paste, mirror, schedule etc. without problems.

Back inth eol' days of autocad 8 etc - that was the only reason to use it - was the ability to copy and mirror the same "block" of information be it a room layout or a whole house

this is still needed in a BIM package for efficiency - its obviously a pretty big issue to get around on both sides.

i'm looking forward to getting into 8

my cd copy went to an old address and the occupants there signed for "my parcel" :(
so i'm chsing it around the country side

ken

gsHoeflinger
2005-05-04, 04:13 PM
I totally agree that this isn't a WOW, with the exception of the 100's of hours that will be saved editing families over the course of a project. From my understanding, Releasing Structural is HUGE and Revit becoming a "Platform" for other discilpines, is huge. Up until this point Revit was for architects only, now it is starting its next step. This is the first step, ie interference checking. What an awesome concept!!! Your drawings reporting conflicts to you. Come on guys, this is incredible. I think the team deserves some serious praise for this release.

Totally agree with Scott here. I think lots of the features that were added are back of house things, buzzsaw, reloading families, api, etc. But while its hard to promote/market the ease of reloading families, in a few months we'll all be truly thankful.

And the interference detection. HUGE. This needed to be present to kick off all the other disciplines. I don't know what type of structural engineers you all work with, but i need that with mine!

Good times boys and girls!

hand471037
2005-05-04, 07:46 PM
Soon, when the Structural and HVAC packages come out for Revit you'll not only have Interference Detection, you'll have it across disciples. That's something that no other software, ADT & ABS in combo included, has at this time, and something that in the past has required expensive software beyond the reach of many (NavvisWorks) to obtain...

Wes Macaulay
2005-05-04, 08:31 PM
ABS has it, wouldn't you say? But it's not as powerful as Revit's...

GuyR
2005-05-04, 08:41 PM

I've been trying to bind python (www.python.org) to the API for all those non-programmers out there who'd like to access the API. A dynamically typed language would have been nice from a usability point of view.

Despite Fedor's excellent help it looks like it won't work. I'm paying a python expert to try a binding to COM. Python for .NET can only use .NET components not create components in .NET. :-( Will keep trying...

No.

Guy

hand471037
2005-05-04, 08:58 PM
ABS has it, wouldn't you say? But it's not as powerful as Revit's...

Actually, I wouldn't, for really ABS only detects other ABS elements, it doesn't show you how the Architectural Model relates to the Structural or Mechanical ones.

For example, and this is my limited understanding, a light fixture or wall placed in ADT won't automatically become part of the Interference Detection of ABS, only items that are ABS items 'know' when they are overlapping. Additionally, since you've also got to be using a product that looks at the Building as a Whole, which while it can be done with it few ADT/ABS folks do in my experance, I don't see much value for my intuition says that it wouldn't catch all the possible overlaps and problems... But if I'm wrong here please tell me, again, I've got rather limited experance in this.

But with Revit, and Revit Structural, and in the future with Revit Mechanical, I'll know *everything* that's overlapping, across disciplines, and be able to design in my own clearances and concerns and design intent too. That's a big thing, I think.

hand471037
2005-05-04, 09:06 PM
I've been trying to bind python (www.python.org) to the API for all those non-programmers out there who'd like to access the API. A dynamically typed language would have been nice from a usability point of view.

Despite Fedor's excellent help it looks like it won't work. I'm paying a python expert to try a binding to COM. Python for .NET can only use .NET components not create components in .NET. :-( Will keep trying...

Have you looked at SOAP?
http://www.w3.org/TR/soap/

Could you use it to 'bridge' Python into Revit? We're looking at something similar for Java for our applications that will interact with the Revit API, but at first we're testing it (and our ideas) in Visual Basic .Net. VBA '.Net' ain't great, but it's not too bad (it's a lot different than the VBA of old), and they do have a 'free' version. It's rather Python-like in some ways. But it's still not Python :D

GuyR
2005-05-04, 10:55 PM
Have you looked at SOAP?

Soap doesn't really help. The problem with the API is it's a oneway API. The Revit user can trigger a command but as long as that command is running Revit is 'locked'. So what you can't do (which would be nice) is start an inprocess server (SOAP etc) which can query a project database continuously and export that information to an external process.

VB.NET might be easier but the beauty of a dynamically typed is it would be possible for non-programmers to get access to the API in an extremely simple way. In many ways I see python as the Revit of programming languages. It's intelligent design means you don't spend so much time dealing with the language and more time thinking about the program.
Python would make cross platform access a breeze as well.

Will keep trying. The efforts worth it. I get the feeling COM's on the way out so it really needs to be a .NET solution.

Guy

hand471037
2005-05-04, 11:40 PM
Soap doesn't really help. The problem with the API is it's a oneway API. The Revit user can trigger a command but as long as that command is running Revit is 'locked'. So what you can't do (which would be nice) is start an inprocess server (SOAP etc) which can query a project database continuously and export that information to an external process.
Whoa! Didn't know this, thanks for the heads up. I'll show this to the software guy I'm working with, see what he has to offer.

VB.NET might be easier but the beauty of a dynamically typed is it would be possible for non-programmers to get access to the API in an extremely simple way. In many ways I see python as the Revit of programming languages. It's intelligent design means you don't spend so much time dealing with the language and more time thinking about the program.
I've heard about a .Net Python thingy, would that help at all? I think it's in Alpha, so I wouldn't base a business off of it ;-)

And you don't have to sell me on dynamic things, I'm learning Smalltalk :D

GuyR
2005-05-05, 12:29 AM
I've heard about a .Net Python thingy, would that help at all? I think it's in Alpha, so I wouldn't base a business off of it

MS will tell you .NET is really good for accessing from other languages. My understanding is although there are many bindings that allow you to use .NET components from other languages, few give the capability of creating .NET components in these languages. Python for .NET is nearly production ready but only for accessing .NET components.

The goal of using python was to allow people with little or no programming skills to grab data from Revit using as simple(readable) language as possible. It also would have allowed us to extend Revit API functions using all the libraries available with python.

Nevermind, will think about other ways I could do it.

Whoa! Didn't know this, thanks for the heads up. I'll show this to the software guy I'm working with, see what he has to offer.

Well that's my understanding. I guess it makes it easier to ensure an external program doesn't corrupt the database?

Guy

david.kingham
2005-05-06, 04:30 PM
Let's not forget that now you can export 3D Revit to solids. For people that only use revit it isn't a big deal, but when you need someone else to take the 3d model and work with it, it is a great feature, no more faces
Where is this option?

hand471037
2005-05-06, 04:53 PM
Where is this option?

It's new in 8. File -> Export -> DWG, DGN, DXF, SAT. Then pick SAT as the File Type on the Export.

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-06, 05:05 PM
If you are exporting from a 3D view you have another graphical way to do this. If you choose dwg format it will end up as a dwg file as opposed to a .sat file to insert into AutoCAD.

Click the OPTIONS button in the export dialog to load the second dialog in the attached image.

david.kingham
2005-05-06, 05:11 PM
Very cool, I assume this would be for use in inventor or solid modelling programs...any hope of getting this into max? Our animators ***** about the revit models because there are too many faces

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-06, 05:21 PM
Our animators ***** about the revit models because there are too many facesOur London office just submitted a project to a Max modeler using the ACIS option and word has it that he was quite pleased with how much he was able to use. The end result was quite pleasing. Sorry can't post it...

jvoight
2005-05-06, 07:03 PM
One change I was hoping for was duel monitor capability. Also being able to un-dock the toolbars and design bar. I don't have much time on 8, but I can see the new family editing tools being a real time savor.

david.kingham
2005-05-06, 07:04 PM
Our London office just submitted a project to a Max modeler using the ACIS option and word has it that he was quite pleased with how much he was able to use. The end result was quite pleasing. Sorry can't post it...
That sounds promising, now we just have to figure out how to get it in max

justin.clark
2005-05-06, 07:47 PM
Being able to edit families without saving them out is a big plus. Especially editing materials for rendering. =)
My 2 cents.

hand471037
2005-05-06, 08:24 PM
That sounds promising, now we just have to figure out how to get it in max

Under File->Export->DWG..., pick DWG as the filetype, and then hit the 'Options' button to the right of the Type, pick on the bottom the radio box for 'ACIS Solids' instead of the default 'polyface meshes' and then export as a DWG. Max/Viz can read DWG's no problem.

david.kingham
2005-05-06, 08:35 PM
Thanks Jeffrey I feel stupid now lol I need a vacation...I've been scouring the net trying to find a plugin to bring in sat files

david.kingham
2005-05-06, 09:19 PM
We seem to be getting more faces, a lot more with acis. It's triangulating everything

ita
2005-05-06, 10:08 PM
and on a very light note . . . anyone noticed the added features to the "Dynamic View" and the related keyboard commands?

hand471037
2005-05-07, 06:23 AM
and on a very light note . . . anyone noticed the added features to the "Dynamic View" and the related keyboard commands?

NO! Wow! I hadn't noticed this! This is way way cool!

OK, for those that don't know what I'm talking about: draw a camera view, then open it. Hit F8 to open that little Dynamic View window (that I never use) and then select the 'walkthrough' tab on it. Click back within your 3D Camera's view, and if now hold down Ctrl & left-click and then move the mouse around- you'll 'walk' forward and backward! Shift rotates your 'head' instead, and just clicking moves you up/down and 'strafes'.

Wow, thanks Factory, this is a nice little surprise!

hand471037
2005-05-07, 06:25 AM
oh my oh my... the 'Field of View' tab... thank you thank you thank you... :D

Oh, I know some folks that are gonna love these...

beegee
2005-05-07, 07:04 AM
Sorry to be a spoilsport, but these keyboard commands, and the field of view, were available in 7.0.

They are useful though. :wink:

david.kingham
2005-05-09, 05:19 PM
Is it just me or do the keyboard commands not work for the walkthrough?

Scott D Davis
2005-05-09, 05:29 PM
you must activate the Walkthrough dialog box by hitting F8, and then the keyboard shortcuts work.

david.kingham
2005-05-09, 05:31 PM
I should've added I did press F8 and clicked walkthrough tab then clicked the active area, mouse works fine but no keyboard...