PDA

View Full Version : HELP with titleblock

roy.70844
2005-04-27, 01:54 PM
Hello everybody,

Yes, I'm having a problem with titleblocks in Revit 7.0. When I create a shared parameter file (as per version 6.1) and use the parameters in a titleblock I can not edit those user defined parameters, I see the ? but can not change it.
I followed the same process in 6.1 and it worked ok.
Is there any difference in creating user defined parameters for use in titleblocks?

Roy

DanielleAnderson
2005-04-27, 03:37 PM
I had this same problem and this is what worked for me:
Go into Settings>Project Parameters
Then you want to add a parameter
Choose shared parameters
Check the 'drawing sheets' box
Then one by one pull in the parameters from your titleblock file into your model file.

For the titleblock I created, there were about 30 of these specialized parameters so I decided to make a template project file so that I would only have to do this once.

Hope this helps!

luigi
2005-04-27, 04:04 PM
To add upon what Danielle wrote, when you have an existing title block loaded in a project, and then reload the titleblock with the new parameters, even though they show up graphically on the titleblock, the parameters aren't loaded into the project yet, you will have to do them manually as Danielle mentioned.

Keep in mind, that if some of these parameters are project related (you change one titleblock it changes in all of them, like sheet number) then the only category the MUST be checked is "Project Information" and nothing else. If they are related to only the individual sheet, as in "Scale" then you can give it a "Drawing Sheet" category.

Hope this helps.

P.S. if you do the work once, in your template file, all your new projects will be good to go.

JTF
2005-04-27, 04:08 PM
Choose shared parameters
Then one by one pull in the parameters from your titleblock file into your model file.

For the titleblock I created, there were about 30 of these specialized parameters so I decided to make a template project file so that I would only have to do this once.

Hope this helps!When you go to project parameters are you in your titleblock family or the drawing that the titleblock has been loded.

I ask because in my titleblock family file the project parameters under settings is greyed out.

Thanks Todd

Just read your relpy Luigi and thanks.

luigi
2005-04-27, 04:57 PM
Yes, you need to be in the file the titleblock is being loaded into.

Gadget Man
2005-04-28, 08:14 AM
Also on that note: avoid the trap I created for myself.

When I upgraded from a previous version of REVIT (whatever it might be), I simply copied all my private library files into the new version’s directory (families, title blocks, templates, etc.) to have them ready there.

Among those, I also copied (without thinking at the time) my shared parameters file (so now I had two of them).

Because I am a little reluctant to jump straight on into the newer version, together with all my projects, which were started in the older one, I keep the previous version operational for quite some time (even up to the next, consecutive release … ) For this reason, if I create any new family (or change an existing one), I do it in the previous version, to have it available there too (and copy it later into newer release for a release update).

Recently, I changed one of my title blocks (added a few new shared parameters), all in the earlier version, and loaded it into my latest release project. Then I loaded all the necessary shared parameters and… I still couldn’t access them! :-?

It took me some time to realize my error! In the project I simply loaded shared parameters from the file residing in my latest program directory, while in the title block family, they were defined in the original (old) copy of that shared parameters file! Of course the names were exactly the same (that’s why I didn’t spot the mistake at once), but they were pointing to two different locations (files)! :roll:

Conclusion: Keep your shared parameters file somewhere globally positioned – where you can access it from all versions of REVIT without too much browsing (eg. Autodesk subdirectory). Thankfully, this file is NOT release dependent (yet)…

roy.70844
2005-04-28, 10:54 AM
Choose shared parameters

Hope this helps!

Thanks Danielle and everyone else. This makes it work, but I am a bit concerned.
If you will indulge me, I would like to go through my 'normal' method and perhaps you can tell me if I do something wrong.

1) create shared parameter file (file menu ... shared parameters)
2) create new group called title data
3) create parameters in this group for the data items I need setting type to text or number or whatever.
Ok back to drawing.
4) create new titlblock (file ... new...titleblock)
5) add lines, text, logo image.
6) add labels select either from those already in the template eg. scale or add from shared parameters file.
7) save titlblock and away to go!

Any comments?

Roy.

PS this works great on ver 6.1, but not on 7.0 or 8 Boooooo!

Arnel Aguel
2005-04-28, 01:41 PM
PS this works great on ver 6.1, but not on 7.0 or 8 Boooooo!

In version 6.1 it worked, as your shared parameters were automatically loaded and link to the drawing sheet category by default. However if you will bring your titleblock in version 7 it will not work anymore as there is an additional project information category included for titleblock that is why you have to reload your shared paremeters again and link to the right category. In v6 you only have drawing sheets category of which the value is independent per sheet whereas in v7 they have added project information category which is project wide value and need to be filled in only once and it will appear to all your sheets.