PDA

View Full Version : Important news from Autodesk about Revit's latest release.

slb
2003-12-17, 10:38 PM
Please visit the Autodesk Revit discussion forum at

http://discussion.autodesk.com for an important announcement regarding the latest release of Autodesk Revit.

--
Regards,

Steve Burri
Autodesk, Inc.
Client Support Manager - Revit

beegee
2003-12-17, 10:44 PM
Yeaaaa........... got mine.

Heres THE 6.0 DOWNLOAD LINK !! (revit.autodesk.com/EN/6_0/DownloadEN6_0.htm)

Scott Hopkins
2003-12-17, 10:46 PM
:shock: I think I just ****** my pants... :lol:

PeterJ
2003-12-17, 10:46 PM
Getting mine

Allen Lacy
2003-12-17, 10:51 PM
105 kb/ sec! It won't take long. Yee ha!

beegee
2003-12-17, 10:59 PM
NOTE:
Licencing Information:--

Autodesk Revit 6.0 can be run immediately after download in a fully functioning trial mode. Upon first use of Revit 6.0, a licensing wizard will be displayed. Select 'Standalone - Locked', leave the serial number field blank, click 'Register', and then click 'Run the Product'.

All existing Autodesk Revit subscribers will receive an email with instructions on how to complete authorization of the product. You must authorize the product within 30 days of the first time you start the software

cgrover
2003-12-17, 11:01 PM
Do you need to unistall 5.1 first?

Grover

beegee
2003-12-17, 11:02 PM
No, not according to Leonid Raiz.

gregcashen
2003-12-17, 11:03 PM
No. In fact, you shouldn't.

cgrover
2003-12-17, 11:04 PM
Thanks!! Can't wait to get started.

grover

LRaiz
2003-12-17, 11:05 PM
No, it is not required. Installations of different versions (but not different builds of the same version) may coexist on the same computer.

It is better to keep 5.1 around for a while until you get comfortable with 6.0.

Enjoy,
- LR

Clyne Curtis
2003-12-17, 11:16 PM
Whoo Hooo! I got mine! I got mine!! 1 day late ain't bad at all!!

Clyne

GuyR
2003-12-17, 11:38 PM
For those on dial-up who have a few nights of downloading before they'll see a V6 screen.

This is a good read:
http://revit.autodesk.com/EN/6_0/Documents/Release_notes.htm

Guy

Garn
2003-12-17, 11:44 PM
88% downloaded....

Has anyone downloaded the the online content down yet?
Is there a content batch converter ?

slb
2003-12-18, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "batch converter", but there is an FAQ that provide a tool that allows you to upgrade your family files to the 6.0 format...

After installing a new version, how do I upgrade my old family files? (http://revit.autodesk.com/pillar/custserv/web/service/support_4.0/faq/Installation/2_installation.asp)

Thomas Cummings
2003-12-18, 01:04 AM
DANG CABLE MODEM!

It took my machine from 7:58 E.S.T. to 8:01 E.S.T. to download Rivet 6!

:lol:

Seriously, Thank You Revit development team!

Thomas

christopher.zoog51272
2003-12-18, 01:16 AM
woo hooo!!!

that'll teach me to go out for dinner... i come back in 6.0 is waiting :D :D

beegee
2003-12-18, 01:19 AM
Finished the Entree, on to the Main Course !

Archman
2003-12-18, 01:46 AM
OK. I'm done working. Now I can head home and try out 6.0. I can't wait to try out the split level plan funcionality.

Sounds like I'll be able to download a "tinkering" version for 30 days, till our office IT staff upgrades us. Hopefully it won't take them 30 days though.

Happy 6.0ing!!!!

Archman
2003-12-18, 01:49 AM
by the way, we smashed our previous users on line record with 31 earlier this evening. I haven't felt excitement like this in the air in a long time!

Sharon
2003-12-18, 02:33 AM
Almost downloaded! I feel like a kid the night before Santa arrives, the anticipation is fantastic! I can't wait to see those options!

Steve Cashman
2003-12-18, 03:30 AM
Thank you to all the Revit team from my old birthplace - Waltham. I think 5.1 is awesome and I can't wait to learn the new features in 6.0.

Keep up the great work. You're creating the future.

lennox.boyd1859
2003-12-19, 11:03 AM
HI

Im a newbie here, and a maccie (apple mac user).

there was a rumour a few month back about autodesk porting Revit to mac. Can anyone let me know if there is any truth in this rumour? Im assuming that the new version of Revit is still PC only?

Thanks

Lennox Boyd
(Potential Revit user)

Melarch
2003-12-19, 11:40 AM
Lennox,

Time to view the world without the MacBlinders. Revit rocks, but only on PC's. Hey, who would you rather develop and market a program: over a hundred million potential PC's or twenty million MAC's (over-estimated for appearance comparison only).

beegee
2003-12-19, 11:48 AM
Hi Lennox,

I would never ever consider spreading wild or malicious rumours, but this article is interesting nevertheless.

Revit the Future?

Architosh reader, Martin Stefanek writes:

Anyway, I had to sell my PowerBook on ebay and still feel the pain!! I switched over from ADT 3.3 to Revit. When I was talking with you I was trying VectorWorks 10.0 and ArchiCAD 8.0 but when I tried Revit I just understood what the future is. Believe me, it's the power of the future; I've done 3 projects and don't even want to think about ADT, but I dream again about PowerBooks, [and] now G5, wow!

Architosh Analysis:
Yes, Martin is like many others who move from Autodesk's Autocad (ADT) to Revit and feel they have seen the future. Many Mac users who have given Revit a spin tell us Revit feels like a Mac product -- which is why people like it, no doubt. If you guys remember back around April 1, there were a series of screen shots of Revit alpha running on the Mac floating around. A link to them is posted in our Architosh Forums. Some people think they are bogus. We happen to think they are not. Of course the existence of an alpha or even beta version doesn't mean anything is coming.

Scott D Davis
2003-12-19, 02:25 PM
It was confirmed at AU that the Mac-Revit screen shots were "created" and were not real. Sorry to burst your bubble.....

tatlin
2003-12-19, 02:31 PM
Isn't all software 'created'? :twisted:

It was confirmed at AU that the Mac-Revit screen shots were "created" and were not real. Sorry to burst your bubble.....

PeterJ
2003-12-19, 04:43 PM
Clearly you have a strong desire to set the cat amongst the pigeons, Tatlin.

lennox.boyd1859
2003-12-21, 03:07 PM
Thats a shame thats theres no Revit for OSX, I would certailnly be interested in a look at that. There is a great deal of design professionals still using macs and with recent developments of processors from IBM -G5- and the unix based OSX -which really rocks- the future is bright.

Several software companies have ported products to OSX recently Sketch Up and Parenisi etc, hopefully Autodesk and Apple will get together a bit in the future and come up with something, hopefully not AutoCAD LT
:wink:

hand471037
2003-12-21, 05:53 PM
Biggest advatages to the G5 I see for Revit is that it's a stable working 64-bit system, ready today; and that a G5 can use many more times the amount of RAM as anything else out there right now. If Revit was ported over to be able to leverage that, it would be a significant advatage I think. On the Windows side, we're not going to see a working 64-bit system for quite a while still, and I'm certain that when one finally does come out it's gonna suck for the first generation or two. :)

Even with two gigs I run out of memory sometimes with complex Renderings. And a 64-bit system would rock my world when it comes to Radiance stuff, and the whoel relation database thing, which Revit is largely based upon if I understand correctly.

So I think it's AutoDesk that's got the 'blinders' on here, so to speak, rather than the Mac users!

sbrown
2003-12-21, 08:45 PM
How big a difference is there in the coding language used for programs on mac vs pc. If its huge I can see why Revit wouldn't spend the resources to support it, but if its not that diff. it sure would open up some market share and allow architects to use the well designed Mac again. When I went to college we were made to buy mac's, I havent' touched one since, but it was very easy to use.

GuyR
2003-12-21, 09:17 PM
How big a difference is there in the coding language used for programs on mac vs pc. If its huge I can see why Revit wouldn't spend the resources to support it, but if its not that diff. it sure would open up some market share and allow architects to use the well designed Mac again.

The language will be the same C/C++. What you have to ask is:

Windows has >90% of the market. What's does supporting the Apple market do for Autodesk?

The answer is bugger all.

The support required to maintain 2 different platforms would almost certainly exceed any revenue gain. Look at ArchiCAD. Their release cycle is considerably longer than Revit's. The last figures I heard were over 60% of AC sales were for PC and this was climbing.The only way I can see Revit ever being on Apples are if :
1.. Apple adopt Intel Processors -unlikely
2.. Apple develop a significant hardware feature that Intel can't copy quickly- unlikely
3.. Apple buy Autodesk - ?? exciting but highly unlikely

That should get Phil going !! :-)

Guy

hand471037
2003-12-21, 11:11 PM
1. Even if Apple adopted intel processors, which would be a HUGE mistake, it would still be hard to port the software, for OS X is BSD, whereas Windows is the NT kernal, which is much more VMS like. It's different enough to make it a major headache to go from one to the other. Add things like Cocha, OpenGL, DirectX, and it quickly gets out of control...

2. OK, so it ain't apple who made it, but the IBM chip that became the G5 is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. Intel doesn't have anything that matches up at all, and MS doesn't have a 64 bit OS ready to go. That 8 gigs of Ram will be a killer feature for the movie & animation industry, as well as the power vs. price of a G5 and how easy it is to cluster them; that I think we'll start to see more G5 popping up in that market...

3. AutoDesk buy Apple? What are you smoking? j/k, but Apple is a ton bigger than AutoDesk. Maybe if you factor in AutoDesk worldwide, and discrete too, it would start to add up, but man, Apple is freakin' huge, and has been making good money for years- unlike AutoDesk at times. I doubt Apple would sell to anyone!

And that whole 'windows has 90% of the market' quote is totally bogus. If that's the case, why do I know many people who have Macs? Shouldn't it be like one in ten? Actaully, count in Linux and such and it would be way less, which just doesn't add up. The market is way more complex than that. Seems like at some point, someone said that 90% of the computers *sold* in a quater are PC's, and that therefore that's what's in the world in use. Which doesn't add up, I mean, over 90% of cars sold this year are not BMW's, and it's not like we don't see them all the time. You gotta factor in a lot more that just the units sold per year!

I mean, if you don't like Macs, that's fine man, and I agree that the market's small enough (rightnow) that AutoDesk probably won't port much for a while.

it's just that seeing people throw around misinfo gets on my nerves.

GuyR
2003-12-21, 11:52 PM
Jeffrey,

Looks like I got you going instead of Phil:-)

1.. Actually with the way OSX is 'layered' and the BSD kernal is written it's a way more straight forward task than you might think. BSD runs on intel NOW and with OSX the UI is deliberately separate to the kernal code so as to make porting and supporting OS9 programs etc easier. Most effort would go into device driver and other hardware issues. see:http://developer.apple.com/macosx/architecture/
It's certainly far more doable than MS adopting G5's.

2.. Time will tell but I've yet to see conclusive benchmarks of G5's over P4's. Certainly for floating point operations G5's fly but that's only one part of the equation.
That 8 gigs of Ram will be a killer feature for the movie & animation industry Linux is going well here too.Different systems will always have advantages in specific segments. For CAD a lot of the excellent CHEAP hardware we can take advantage of has been driven by the gaming market and Apple doesn't register there.
Look it's only recently ArchiCAD could take advantage of hardware accelerated OpenGL because OS9 didn't support it. And so you couldn't do it on the PC version either.

3.. I said 'Apple buy Autodesk' not the other way round.

windows has 90% of the market' quote is totally bogusIt may not be 90% but it's certainly not even close to being 50/50. I know a number of people involved in Universities here and Apple's are moving OFF the preferred hardware list for academics. The reality is when you get to the market dominance of MS or Autodesk it takes a lot more than good design to take significant market share as the original 'Revit' found.

I mean, if you don't like Macs, that's fine manI don't have a problem with Mac's and I love their design/level of integration. I don't agree with the ease of use IMO when compared to XP because the biggest limiting productivity factor for most computer User's is the speed they can type. And this has nothing to do with who made your computer.

Guy

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-22, 12:47 AM
I bought my first MAC in 1985 and have had three, bought my first PC in 1995...because of AutoCAD r12.

When the new IMAC came out I went to check it out, I used one in the showroom for 5 minutes and it "hung". I wasn't even doing anything special, just opening and running a couple of apps to play. Anyway I asked the tech what they did when they hang and he looked shocked and said, "They DON'T hang sir!"...well he pulled out his paper clip after taking a look and restarted it, funny but the paper clip was in his pocket and already bent out. What's my point? Computers are pieces of equipment to which people offer certain levels of affection. Sort of like cadd software... :wink:

It's pretty clear that MAC's don't have a strong presence in corporate America, rightly or wrongly...whether it's 90/10, 80/10...I can't think of an architecture practice in my town that has a MAC. In fact, I can't think of the last office I was in or familiar with that has a MAC either. In our firm of 100 folks, I only know of two people that own them. It's a shame because they are every bit as good as a PC or "better". Let's face it, until windows NT, windows was a pretty shoddy/unreliable attempt at the MAC/Xerox GUI interface.

If every MAC user that want's Revit on MAC, would call or write they might have a shot, cause until they have some sense of ROI, it'll "never" happen.

Okay, done rambling...