PDA

View Full Version : Mirror command

roland.rancourt
2005-04-27, 08:38 PM
Greetings all,

Is there any version of Inventor that has a mirror command, meaning a command that allows you to mirror a complete part without having to draw the entire part over again? Or, asked another way, if there is a mirror command, at what version did it start?

Thanks.

RRancourt

Ron Oldenbeuving
2005-04-28, 12:04 AM
Greetings all,

Is there any version of Inventor that has a mirror command, meaning a command that allows you to mirror a complete part without having to draw the entire part over again? Or, asked another way, if there is a mirror command, at what version did it start?

Thanks.

RRancourt
Roland, could you enlighten me as to what you know or need to know about Inventor.

My knowledge extends back to version 8, but, V9 has the following (would be in V10 also) -

1. In a part file
a) Mirror in the sketch environment, to mirror sketch geometry thru a line.
b) Feature mirror, which allows you to mirror individual features or the entire part (with or without copy) thru a workplane.
c) Derive an existing part, with mirror image thru a plane (the parts are associative, so changes made to the original file follow thru to the derived part).

2. In an assembly file, Mirror individual parts or entire assemblies thru a workplane and save with new or modified file names.

Regards,

roland.rancourt
2005-04-28, 04:42 PM
Hi Ron Thank you very much for your help. This request was actually for a co-worker who is proficient in V9 but for the short term has to use V7, (we will shortly be upgrading to V10). I suspect that there is no mirror command in V7 or V8. Thanks again.

Roland

jonathan.landeros
2005-06-05, 07:18 PM
If my memory is correct, the Mirror Command was introduced in R8.

For the 'Old Skewl' way of doing it is to use a derived component. Use the following steps:

1) Start a new *.ipt file.
2) Finish Sketch
3) Choose Derived Component from the Features Panel Bar
4) IV will ask for the source file, choose your original *.ipt.
5) One of the options will be to mirror around one of the principal planes (XY, YZ, ZX)

I hope this helps,

Jonathan