PDA

View Full Version : Window Visibility in Elevation

funkman
2005-04-28, 08:22 AM
I have an unusual problem....

The two images show one set of windows in wireframe and the same set of windows in hidden line.

All of these windows are the same type, with the only difference being the phases of their installation/removal. They are exactly the same window otherwise.

Why is one showing correctly and not the others? It does not cut the wall correctly, and the dashed demolished line is not entiely visible - only the elevation prjection is showing correctly. How could it be an object style if the same window is showing correctly when it is an untouched exsting window? I havent changed any of the phase settings.

In short - I need to show the windows in hidden line as they are shown in the wirfeame image.

Could someone point the way for me please?

aggockel50321
2005-04-28, 11:50 AM
Is this an old project file.

I just experienced a similar problem, using a project file created in 3.5. The crazy thing was that this building had ~40 windows, and only a random few were affected. They would show fine in every other view, including 3d. But whenever I did an interior elevation, I would get your result.

I was finally able to clear it by reloading a newer version of the window, with a different file name, and then changed out the broken ones. At the time, I did not try just reloading the newer window version with the same name, and let all the windows change, but I suppose that would have worked also.

funkman
2005-04-29, 04:12 AM
thanks for the reply Andrew, but that is not it. I tried what you said and no go.

I have also replicated this by using the standard template file, with an existing wall and used two different windows - see attached.

I would like to know if anyone else can replicate this and is it is a bug.

beegee
2005-04-29, 07:24 AM
Strange as it may seem, what you're seeing is correct.

Think about what is being displayed in the phase settings.

The center window has been demolished. What happens ? Revit replaces the window with new wall material. Your phase filter is set to " Show All " so everything is there. In hidden line, you cannot see the new wall material, but its there. Turn on a shaded display and you will see. The window opening lines display because they sit clear of the wall face presumably.

The right hand window is new. Before it was there, there was a panel of existing brickwork there. Show All is still showing that wall and it's hiding the window frame, but not the opening linework, which must be in a different plane in front of the wall. Again, a shaded view will make it clear.

Hope that makes sense.

funkman
2005-04-30, 01:25 AM
HI beeegee, I dont think that is right. Have a look at the image, and in particular the demolished and new windows in the existing walls.

In the first example, the demolished window only shows the opening projection line and not the dashed extent of the window. So how are we to show up new demolished windows if the extents are not dashed? Similarly the new window doesn't even show up in extents.

In the second example, the demolished window shows ok, but the new window doesnt show the internal components of the window.

Funnily enough, the 3D works as it should, it is only the elevations and sections.

Seeems to me there is definitely a problem here.

beegee
2005-05-02, 07:25 AM
The attached 3D shaded view, set to the same phase and filter as your elevation, may make it easier to see what's going on.

funkman
2005-05-04, 01:14 AM
thanks for the help beegee (again)...I understand this, but to show all the phases correctly, I need to use drafting lines for the demolished works and then change the phase filter to Show Previous + New.

I do wish that the extents of demolished works can be shown as dashed lines, rather than 3d elements