PDA

View Full Version : Envelope renovation - wall finish demolition?

ledis_nomad1817
2005-04-28, 07:39 PM
I'm working on a renovation project with existing cedar shingle siding, which will all be replaced with Hardi-plank. We've constructed our existing conditions model in the Existing phase using a wall type with a cedar shingle finish layer and have started the New Construction phase.

We do not want to demo the exterior walls, but would like to change the siding. Does anybody know of a way to do this using Revit's phasing and demolition tools?

nrenfro
2005-04-28, 09:30 PM
I have not done it but have you thought about in the existing phase constructing the existing wall in two parts. One whole have the structure and interior finish the other just the siding material. Once created I would use the join geometry tool and join the two walls to each other. Joining the Walls should allow windows and doors to interact with the wall properly. in the new construction phase you can then demo the siding wall and replace it with a new wall and then join the new wall to the existing structural wall. This may create problems with doors and windows, so you should test it first before getting to far.

ledis_nomad1817
2005-06-17, 08:02 PM
Great idea and it ALMOST works!

I created two wall types: First, one that is just siding and a membrane layer. Then a wall with interior finish, structure, and sheathing. Joining these two separate walls works well and at first seemed to work with windows and doors. I placed a door and window in the exterior finish wall, but when I demolished that wall the door and window went with it. So I placed the door and window in the structure-interior wall, but then the trim of the door and window where imbedded in the exterior finish wall.

So, not quite, but maybe with some tweaking...