PDA

View Full Version : Standalone license - can it go on work & home?

christo4robin
2005-04-29, 11:14 PM
Installed Revit 8 on my work machine and read through the licensing agreement to check on installing on the home machine. It seems as though it is legal to have the software on only one computer at any time. I remember from the past that having the software on a home and work machine was acceptable.

Is it true that I can only have Revit on one computer?

Thanks!

beegee
2005-04-29, 11:26 PM
I'd need to read the latest EULA, to confirm that this advice still stands ( & I don't have the time or inclination to do that just now - so I'll leave it with you )

6.1 EULA still allows one office and one home installation. However the software enforcement mechanism changed. It is not advertised but one can safely install Revit on two computers and authorize both computers over the Internet using the same serial number. This fact however should not be interpreted as an invitation to pirate Revit by installing it on every computer in sight. During actual registration and authorization process the software fingerprints requesting computer and sends it to the Autodesk server. The server will detect if the same serial number is used too many times by different computers and will deny suspicious authorization requests.

redfish
2005-04-29, 11:28 PM
I believe the License agreement is the same for AutoCAD and Revit. If so, then yes, you can have a second copy on a second computer per Section 3.1.2:

It can only be used by the same person, installed on a machine away from your normal work location, and only one of the copies can be accessed at any one time. There is some other verbiage, but that covers the bulk I think.

I am upgrading to 8 now so I will double check.

SC

ejburrell67787
2005-04-30, 09:58 AM
I'm curious now - does this mean I can authorize my office + home computers and they will be licensed for use without the need to always use the Portable License Utility to transfer the license back and forth?

Clarification would be much appreciated... always transferring the license can be quite a hassle.

Cheers, Elrond

Phil Palmer
2005-04-30, 11:35 AM
When you authorise Revit you are able to have 2 request codes authorised automaticallywith the same serial number - so yes . Give it a go !
I have managed this in the past.

adegnan
2005-04-30, 02:43 PM
I re-read the wording when I installed it. It says you can only have it installed on one computer, but then you read down farther and it basically lists an exception to allow it on two computers, as long as the computers are only used by one person, and the two computers are never used at the same time.

So the short answer is yes, the home/office setup still exists and still works.

rookwood
2005-04-30, 05:07 PM
I am having this discussion of the hardware subforum where someone suggested I purchase a P M notebook and do my rendering on another computer.

I asked my reseller and he told me that because I have the subscription service that I am entitled to do so, as long as the computers are owned by the same entity. I have no clue if he is correct or not.

I did read a recent column by someone addressing this issue and I'll see if I can find it. The article started out telling the story about Autodesk finding someone selling AutoCAD on EBAY. The author goes on to explain his longtime affilation with AutoDesk and how confusing the EULA is and how different minds can reach different interpretations on it's intent.

Perhaps an e-mail from my reseller giving me permission? Just for the record, you know.

rookwood
2005-04-30, 05:52 PM
Here's the link to the article I referred to in my previous post. It does not address this issue specifically, but does bring to surface some interesting questions?

The article implies that it is illegal to take your computer out of the country and use AutoCAD. When I go to the Caribbean each year on a cruise, I always take my laptop and do some, although limited, work. Is this really illegal?

Can you loan your computer, loaded with AutoCAD, to someone?

I assume, AutoCAD can be interchanged with any AutoDesk product.

http://www.cadwire.net/commentary/?39210

adegnan
2005-05-02, 04:31 AM
I am having this discussion of the hardware subforum where someone suggested I purchase a P M notebook and do my rendering on another computer.

I asked my reseller and he told me that because I have the subscription service that I am entitled to do so, as long as the computers are owned by the same entity. I have no clue if he is correct or not.

I did read a recent column by someone addressing this issue and I'll see if I can find it. The article started out telling the story about Autodesk finding someone selling AutoCAD on EBAY. The author goes on to explain his longtime affilation with AutoDesk and how confusing the EULA is and how different minds can reach different interpretations on it's intent.

Perhaps an e-mail from my reseller giving me permission? Just for the record, you know.
My reading of the EULA would have this as a voilation. ;)