PDA

View Full Version : Level head (Geodetic vs. datum)

phildebrandt
2005-04-29, 11:15 PM
I tried to create a new level head that would display both geodetic and datum elevations. I noticed however that even if you define new family parameters in a level family you can only link labels to the "Elevation" and "Name" parameters.

I wanted to created two new parameters "Datum" and "Offset" where "Datum" is a function of Elevation minus Offset.

Anyway I can do this?

I noticed level heads can report "Project" or "Shared" elevations but I'm not sure how this works.

christo4robin
2005-04-29, 11:25 PM
I understand your problem and haven't ever tried to create one level head showing both elevations. A simple fix...perhaps you could actually have two levels placed one on top of another one that displays project and the other shared elevations. In the family of one or the other, adjust the text position so that it clears the text of the other.

I look forward to finding out if there is a better way.

Wes Macaulay
2005-04-30, 02:18 AM
Hey Phil (mwahahahaa - sorry, that was involuntary)

As far as I know, level heads can only report Shared or Project elevations... the Tag in the family doesn't have the capability to pick up on whether it's one or the other. That's what the level style does though. See, if you post all your questions here, I'll answer them while I'm ignoring my children.

phildebrandt
2005-05-04, 04:38 PM
I need something explained to me. I can't figure out how shared and project coordinates work. I have a new automall project going where we have two new dealerships going up. I created the topography for the entire automall as one project and then linked and published the coordinates into each dealership project.

The problem is I want the level tags to show the main floor elevation at 100' datum. Right now they show the elevation at the geodetic height.

I tried to use the "Relocate Project" command under the Setting menu, this moved the dealership but not the topography. I then went to the elevation view and used the "Move" command to lower the topography. But if I do this to the second dealership, which sits at a different geodetic height I noticed that moving the topography affects the other dealership as well. One building is always "floating".

How do I change these things so my level tags show datum but my spot elevation show geodetic?

j_starko
2008-02-15, 11:44 PM
this needs to be address .

i'm trying to figure out the same thing right now too

Justin Marchiel
2008-02-16, 12:48 AM
this is where you change your elevation tag family to ready project instead of shared.

what i do is create the topography in 1 project with the real geodetic elevations. I then link the topo into 1 project and publish the coordinates. i then relocate the building up or down to be in the correct elevation base on the topo file using the relocate project. your project datums will not change, but the geo will. publish your coordinate and you should be golden.

so your elevation tags when set to project will show the 100' datum, and the shared will show the geo. 1 thing that might throw you off is that you should have the project elevation set to 100' before you start drawings. if they are at 0', you will need to correct the elevation heights (making them 100' instead of 0'). 1 "easy" way of doing this is to lock the dim between level lines, then changing the elev of the lowest 1 (guess that would be the main floor). this will move the building up to 100'. careful, any details that you did will leave the detail components and annotations down at 0', so you will need to move them up 100' as well.

Hope i read between the line correctly.

Justin