PDA

View Full Version : Dimension text - outside placement

smdin79
2005-05-02, 06:08 PM
hey guys,
got another issue with my dimensions.
this time its about the text position for a dimension.
i am taking a vertical dimension, and autocad automatically positions the text either on the top right or on the bottom left. the text is too large to fit within the arrows.

top right is no good cuz my obect is on the right and i dont wanna sit the dimension too far away from the object
bottom left is no good cuz i am taking another dimension right below it.

what id like to have is the text on the top left but cant seem to figure out how :s

any and all input is appreciated, and i Thank you all in advance.

Shawn.

robert.1.hall72202
2005-05-02, 07:09 PM
In all my messing around with similar dimensional scenarios.....I have found that
cad just operates by automatically picking where to place the text. Only solution
here, which is bad on the part of Autodesk, is to explode the dimension. Move the
text to where you would like it placed, fix extension lines appropriately.

Not sure if it used to be this way, but I know that I do not care for this dimensional flaw.
Seems like there should be a grip edit for this scenario.

Mike.Perry
2005-05-02, 07:42 PM
Hi

AutoCAD always places the Dimension Text to the outside of the 2nd Extension Line....

Either re-place the Dimension Object OR manipulate the Dimension Object via its Grip Points.

Have a good one, Mike

BrenBren
2005-05-03, 11:24 AM
hey guys,
got another issue with my dimensions.
this time its about the text position for a dimension.
i am taking a vertical dimension, and autocad automatically positions the text either on the top right or on the bottom left. the text is too large to fit within the arrows.

top right is no good cuz my obect is on the right and i dont wanna sit the dimension too far away from the object
bottom left is no good cuz i am taking another dimension right below it.

what id like to have is the text on the top left but cant seem to figure out how :s

any and all input is appreciated, and i Thank you all in advance.

Shawn.
take a look at the screen capture. I think you are trying to accomplish the bottom one, correct. If so, I can't find a way to do it. I had to explode the dimension to create the desired result. If you find a way to do this, I would love to hear about it.

tyshofner
2005-05-03, 01:30 PM
Refering to example ^^above^^, you can get the text to go to the top left, by selecting your dimension, right click to get a shortcut menu, select Dim Text Position, Move with leader. Then just drag your dimension text to the desired location. (You must have your "Shortcut menus in drawing area" checked in your options.)

Ty :mrgreen:

BrenBren
2005-05-03, 01:57 PM
Refering to example ^^above^^, you can get the text to go to the top left, by selecting your dimension, right click to get a shortcut menu, select Dim Text Position, Move with leader. Then just drag your dimension text to the desired location. (You must have your "Shortcut menus in drawing area" checked in your options.)

Ty :mrgreen:
Very cool, but I think that is a relatively new feature (I have it in full blown 2006). Thanks!!

bbapties
2005-05-03, 02:29 PM
i think it has been inside properties of the dim since 2002..... atleast in vanilla acad....not exactly sure about LT though...

smdin79
2005-05-04, 03:12 PM
brenda - yeah what you've done is exatcly what i wanted to do.
tyshofner - man THATS WICKED!!! works like a charm.

everyone else - Thanks all i really appreciate all the input!!!!!

shawn.

mhannan.100562
2005-12-06, 07:10 PM
I'm having a similar problem with how we like to do dimensions here.
We like a leader for dimensions that will not fit inside the extension lines.
I'm problem though is the leader disappears the closer you place it to the dimension line.
Attached is a PDF of what we would like to do with our dimensions, but in order to do this I'd have to explode the dimension. I'd like to do this without exploding.