PDA

View Full Version : Curved Wall, Curved Top

pwmsmith
2005-05-03, 04:22 PM
How would you go about making a curved top to a curved wall?

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-03, 05:00 PM
How would you go about making a curved top to a curved wall?What is on top of the wall? A roof? You could model a curved roof and attach the wall to the roof...if nothing is above the wall then use an in-place family void to cut the wall in the manner you want.

pwmsmith
2005-05-03, 05:22 PM
Its just a wall Steve. The 'Designer' wants a five story curving wall with a compound curved parapet. Look like I'm going to learn how to use voids. Thank for the info.

sbrown
2005-05-03, 05:32 PM
The easiest is to create a ref plane in plan that is parrallel to the midpoint of the arc wall and goes from end to end of the arc, now name that ref plane. then create an elevation view of the wall perpendicular to the ref plane, now set the work plane to that ref. plane and draw a second ref plane at the slope you want the arc walls top to follow, now pick the wall and attach its top to that ref plane. You may need to repeat this process for multiple segments of the wall depending on the overall length / design of the wall.

Wes Macaulay
2005-05-03, 11:06 PM
See the attached for another way to model this...

raeburnmark
2005-05-04, 10:44 PM
I have a related question to this if anyone has time. I have a curvilinear wall that is quite long and varies in hight up to about 12 feet. As in the earlier example it also has a curvilinear top profile. The first thing I tried was to draw curved wall sections over an old Autocad plan that I had imported. I found that this was cumbersome because I couldn't easily edit the wall in plan (an AutoCAD spline would have been easier to pull around with grips) The next thing I tried was to make an in-place wall by drawing a profile in plan and then extruding to the maximum hight required. This worked well since I didn't have to attach all the wall segments. However to edit the shape of the curves I had to edit the profile of the family by deleting one side and the two end segments, editing the curved line, then offsetting and adding end segments again. This still seems cumbersome, am I missing an easier step here?

Next, to add the curved top profile I tried creating a void form and sort of guessing where the intersections would occur, this worked OK but I couldn't control the rise and fall of the top profile very exactly. sbrowns method above seems like it would work well but also seems quite cumbersome since there are many arcs. Is there a way to draw on the curvilinear wall in a 3d view the exact profile that I would like? Am I doing all this completely wrong?

Thanks for any help.

PS this wall is faced in bamboo on one side! any ideas...?

archjake
2005-05-05, 04:18 AM
Attached is a family that one of the Revit Pros posted a while back. Use multiple together on a long curved wall, and the top will stay fairly flat.

Thanks again to the creator. Was it Phil?

raeburnmark
2005-05-05, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the post.This still seems very cumbersome. Please see the attached cad file.