PDA

View Full Version : structural beam & massing

zenomail105021
2005-05-04, 10:30 AM
Since Revit doesn't connect structural beams in an architectural manner (i.e. without gaps) I was trying to create a mass (like massing tools in Architectural Desktop) which would be, say, a 2x12 beam. I have tried solid extrusions but after I get it made I cannot control the elevation so as to put to 2x12 beam on top of my column. Any suggestions or am I really in left field?

DanielleAnderson
2005-05-04, 05:13 PM
Is this mass an in place family? If so, to move it you might need to uncheck the "constrain" box that is up next to the properties pull down menu. Extrustions usually want to stay exactly where you made them unless you unconstrain them. If it is a constraint problem and you are still having trouble moving it, you may have to copy it and then move the copy into place and delete the original.
If this is a family that you have created separately, I'm not sure what the issue is...
If that's not helpful, give us a little more information and we may be able to figure out what the deal is.

Danielle :cool:

zenomail105021
2005-05-04, 06:29 PM
Danielle, thanks for responding. I will dig into your reply but I just loaded Revit 8 and it appears (with a cursory look) that the structural beam problem has been resolved.

Bill Maddox
Maddox Builders, Inc.

zenomail105021
2005-05-04, 07:53 PM
Whoops, appears that I am incorrect. Concrete beams seem to work but not lumber.

Joef
2005-05-04, 10:00 PM
Have you actually tried the dimension lumber? I think they fixed it, but didn't mention it in the "what's new". I can actually align a 2x12 to a 6x6 column and there is no gap at all. Works great for me.

Joe

Edit: No it wasn't fixed completely. There is still a gap connecting a beam to a column. Geez, when will they ever get this fixed? Nobody draws lumber like this. Why does Revit? Somebody actually sat down and designed it to work this way knowing full well that it was not the way anyone would draw. Why? It is wrong, has been wrong for many releases and all the requests for it to be fixed are ignored.

beegee
2005-05-04, 10:19 PM
OOTB, my timber beams do not connect in 8.0, but they can be easily aligned to column faces after they are placed.

Joef
2005-05-04, 10:58 PM
Beegee you are right. I can get it to work, sort of. Try aligning a beam between two columns. Have fun. The whole beam jumps, not the ends of the beam. Try dragging a beam end close to a column then aligning it. Results are not consistent. Sometimes the beam jumps to the center of the column sometimes it goes the other way. Not what you would call an elegant implementation.

Joef
2005-05-05, 02:54 AM
I have done some more work with dimension lumber and have come to the conclusion that it might actually work! There are some tips to follow though.

In order for the dimension lumber structural beams to align with the surface of a column you have to draw the beam from the centre to the centre of the columns. This also applies to beam/beam connections. Using the align tool doesn't do anything to help. You do not need to use the align and lock method to get the beam to attach to the column. It will attach automatically if you draw it from the centre. If for some reason the beam becomes detached from the column you are better off to erase it and draw a new one. Dragging it into position can be a challenge.

Mr Spot
2005-05-05, 03:15 AM
Have you checked the properties of the structural beam you are using in family category and parameters to see if the structural material is set to timber?? This settings controls how it will join with other elements.

Joef
2005-05-05, 04:00 AM
Yes, they are both "wood". I have had the Revit manual printed and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. There is a nice section on structural elements I plan to read. I think the structural elements require a special way of working to keep the elements connected for analysis. Getting them to connect the way they are supposed to is the challenge (for me anyway).

jeff112408
2012-08-20, 10:03 PM
Is there a viable work around for this "gap issue"? It's driving me crazy trying to attach floor joists to the rim board. The model looks incomplete.