PDA

View Full Version : Structural Roof Framing Procedure

razorx1858
2003-12-19, 03:14 AM
Hi, I'm a new member to the forum, I've been to this site many times in the recent future [ed. Past?] and like the content being discussed.

My question involves designing a structural building frame, specifically the roof framing. My project involves a steel W-Wide Flange ridge beam about 10 feet above the top building beam. I'm building a simple pitched roof out of steel.

What I want to do is span a bar joist from the top building beam approx 45 degrees up to the ridge beam. My problem is that a can drop the bar joist component into the drawing, but can't seem to ROTATE, let alone ATTACH the bar joist to both structural members. I've seen it show in the Autodesk Revit sample project "library project".

I think I'm just approaching it wrong. Any ideas? :)

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-19, 03:21 AM
Hey Razorx...welcome...

On the design bar, pick STRUCTURAL, then notice the FRAMING ELEVATION command. This will let you create an elevation which in turn will let you rotate structural framing. Then you can copy the remaining frame elements into place using those you get properly positioned.

Another approach is to use roof object based framing elements, I believe a couple exist on RUGI?

razorx1858
2003-12-19, 03:50 AM
Q,

Thanks for the quick post, I'm able to create the framing elevation and view a structural member from the side but every time I try to rotate a beam or bar joist off the horizontal plane, it just won't rotate, hmm...
Any thoughts?

tatlin
2003-12-19, 04:01 AM
Another approach is to simply sketch beams on the roof plane.

Here is what to do: Before you start the sketching beams, activate the Work Plane tool in the tool bar. Use the 'Pick a Plane' optionand select the face of the roof to sketch on. Now activate the Beam tool and look at the option bar. Change the active plane to "user selected" and start sketching beams on the roof. You can also turn the work plane grid on at this point to see which plane you are sketching on.

The cool thing about this aproach is that the beams stay associated with the roof plane - if you change the roof pitch or other properties the beams will update accordingly.

Hey Razorx...welcome...

On the design bar, pick STRUCTURAL, then notice the FRAMING ELEVATION command. This will let you create an elevation which in turn will let you rotate structural framing. Then you can copy the remaining frame elements into place using those you get properly positioned.

Another approach is to use roof object based framing elements, I believe a couple exist on RUGI?

razorx1858
2003-12-19, 04:34 AM
tatlin & Q

Thanks guys, I got it, I liked what tatlin said about the work plan, it worked perfectly. I love how the roof beams change automatically! :D

I knew this forum was helpful!

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-19, 04:37 AM
Beams yes...but trusses don't behave the same way...or at least they aren't in 6'oh. They appear to be constrained differently. I can't access the RUGI ones at the moment, getting an error message when I click on the Steel Structure button. I know there's a truss I've been able to use there before...just caint git there. If beams get you where you need to go, then great!

razorx1858
2003-12-19, 05:24 AM
Q,

What do you mean when you refer to "RUGI", are you refering to the RUGI website? :)

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-19, 05:29 AM
Yes indeed, www.rugi.org, was able to get in since...there are two truss families there that will let you place them in a framing elevation and Matt's suggestion works well for them too.

At RUGI click DOWNLOADS > STEEL STRUCTURE

LH_bar_joist(revit).rfa
LH_Series-Open_Web-final.rfa

There might be others, but those two I'm certain about.

razorx1858
2003-12-19, 04:29 PM
Sounds good, I'll check it out, thanks a lot for your help.

Beth Powell
2004-07-29, 06:21 PM
So let me see if I understand this. Regular roof trusses won't change with the roof, but a specially made family could do that?

Looking for a way to have structural beams and trusses that would change when the roof changed.

sarah.auffet
2004-12-06, 09:14 PM
is this joist still on the rugi site? i can't seem to find a structural link.

beegee
2004-12-06, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately the RUGI site is no longer active, but you could try RevitCity.

mmodernc
2004-12-06, 09:45 PM
It probably pays to become extremely proficient at making families-that way you won't have to rely on anybody else's. One of the most outstanding features of Revit compared to anything else out there is the ability to make components that behave the way you want them to -but you have to know what you are doing. It almost has to become second nature. Back to the tutotials.