PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP still having trouble w/ level visibility

patricks
2005-05-04, 06:27 PM
I still can't figure out why my levels don't show up in certain elevations and sections, so I figured if some of you could take a look at it maybe you could figure it out. I made a copy of the project and stripped it down as much as I could. If you will notice some of the elevations and building section views, the levels are not visible. If you make the crop region visible and stretch it way out to one side, you'll be able to see the levels, but if you try to drag the level ends over to the where the building is, and then drag the crop region back, the levels disappear again.

Also notice that some of the elevation views are extremely wide when you pre-highlight them, even though the crop region is in place. On one of them, it started doing that after I drew one drafting line, and placed one small text element, so I can't figure out why they're doing that, either.

*edit* well the file is too big I guess, here are a couple of screenshots.

If you notice the open circle in the middle of the upper level in the 3rd image, if I pull the crop region back in such that the circle is outside of the crop region, the levels disappear again, and I can't figure out how to move the little circle. The 2nd image shows the levels when I pull the crop region out. The left end of the level line is where that open circle is, so if I drag the left end, the open circle appears there.

Paul Monsef
2005-05-04, 06:42 PM
patricks,
The open circle indicated the '3D' extents of the level... IF the 'circle' is outside the crop boundary of your view that level will not show up.

You will need to adjust the levels accordingly.

patricks
2005-05-04, 07:13 PM
patricks,
The open circle indicated the '3D' extents of the level... IF the 'circle' is outside the crop boundary of your view that level will not show up.

You will need to adjust the levels accordingly.

but, how do I adjust the levels? Do I hit the propogate extents button? Nothing seems to happen when I do that.

sbrown
2005-05-04, 07:31 PM
Was this a file that was started in 6 and then upgraded to 7.
If so you need to create a scope box around your entire project, then select all the levels and assign them to the scope box, then they will behave like they did in 6.

patricks
2005-05-04, 07:55 PM
Was this a file that was started in 6 and then upgraded to 7.
If so you need to create a scope box around your entire project, then select all the levels and assign them to the scope box, then they will behave like they did in 6.

Yes it was started in 6.1, but I don't appear to have this problem on the many other projects that we had started in 6.1 and then converted to 7.

*edit* yeah scope box worked... wierd how this is the first time I've had this problem, and we've been bringing all our projects into 7 since it was released end of last year.

Paul Monsef
2005-05-04, 09:03 PM
but, how do I adjust the levels? Do I hit the propogate extents button? Nothing seems to happen when I do that.
patricks,
Take a look at the 'Datum Extents and Visibility' section in the help file... It pretty well explains how you can modify the visibility of levels, grids, and reference planes in views...

I believe 'propagate extents' simply adjusts that grid, level or ref. plane in all other parallel views to match the current view.

You need to adjust the 3D extents of your levels to allow visibility in more views (see the attached image). This can be done by adjusting the 3d circle OR by attaching the level(s) to a scope box which encompases your whole model...

So, to adjust your level, highlight it and click on the '2d' to change it make to the '3d' extents.... then drag the hollow circle as required. Changing the 2d extents only modify's that in the current view. >> I would check the extents or your levels in your elevation views and adjust there.

patricks
2005-05-04, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah that's another thing. Notice in the 3rd image above that I attached, one of the levels is highlighted, with the extents circle in the middle, but there is no 2D/3D toggle available. The extents circle just sits there, I can't drag it or move it.

sbrown
2005-05-04, 09:10 PM
The 3d levels were/are broken, the factory told me so. Don't try to figure them out on 6.1 upgrade files. They won't work right. They seem to work ok on 7.0(latest build) native files. Still causes some extreme slowdowns in just draging the level head from one point to another on worksets jobs. I think the potential benefit of this functionality is diminished by the performance hit you take. It litterally takes me 15 seconds to just drag a level tag slightly to the left or right, it used to be instant.

Paul Monsef
2005-05-04, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah that's another thing. Notice in the 3rd image above that I attached, one of the levels is highlighted, with the extents circle in the middle, but there is no 2D/3D toggle available. The extents circle just sits there, I can't drag it or move it.
I believe that was a bug in 7.x when upgrading projects from 6.x...

Upgrade to 8!! :D

patricks
2005-05-04, 09:13 PM
I will when we're not so slammed trying to get work out the door this week. ;)