PDA

View Full Version : Detail Groups

tomm
2005-05-04, 06:47 PM
I created a detail group in a previous project, saved it to a file and now am trying to insert it into a similar project. I loaded the group and am trying to pull it into the view as instructed in the help file. I get a dot in the area where I want the detail and another dot at the cursor with a temp dimension between the 2 dots. No combination of left clicks, right clicks or any other key combination seem to make anything happen, save my cursor dot and the temp dimension.. Frustration is starting to set in.! What am I doing wrong, How do i place this group? I guess I could draw the detail over again, that might be quicker!

sbrown
2005-05-04, 07:43 PM
Don't mess with groups for this, just open both projects and copy paste from one to the other. When you say a detail group I am assuming it is all detail lines and filled regions and components, no model geometry.

cphubb
2005-08-09, 11:28 PM
We also have had this problem. We would like to save our standard details in the group format and import them into a drafting view in the project. I am getting a message that the .rvg file is not a valid group. Many of our standard details are left over from Autocad and are in a perfect format for grouping and inserting. We would use the standard Autocad but the font and dimension problems mean extra work. We would like to do that once and be done with it.

How are others doing the standard detail thing?

robmorfin
2005-08-10, 12:28 AM
DON'T use groups or detail groups at all, they have made me loose so much time and it doesn't matter how much you try to make them work they will get to a point where they mess up your work again and again, it doesn't matter how many times you ungroup and regroup. And if you really want to push the messiness limits of groups, use phasing into the group, that's when they really loose it badly.

(I'm posting this after hours of ungrouping all the units of my multi unit project and creating separate files, rephasing them and linking them to my project, of course, making sure there was not one group or detail group left in my project file or the individual files).