PDA

View Full Version : Revit 8 factory presentation at our User Group Meeting

SCShell
2005-05-05, 12:16 PM
Hey there,

We just had our local (Tucson) Revit Users meeting yesterday. One of the original Revit system designers made a nice presentation showing us the major features of the new release v8. (I just can't remember his name at the moment. Maybe Archjake or Matt remember.)

Aside from some really nice "timesavers", I really appreciate that the measure tool can now be read. (I have always had a problem trying to read the dimensions using this tool.) Also, it is nice that the measure tool will now do 'running' dimensions similar to Map Reader.

Special thanks to Revit (Autodesk) and CadSoft Consulting (Local reseller) for the presentation.

Steve

rhys
2005-05-05, 12:32 PM
Hi Steve
And what about the editing of families from within projects thats the best time saver ever!

Scott D Davis
2005-05-05, 03:23 PM
One of the original Revit system designers
Was it Randy Anderson?

archjake
2005-05-05, 03:35 PM
Yes, It was Randy Anderson.

Features he showed that I really love:

The don't print unreferenced views.
Select multiple walls and drag nodes at intersections.
Chain select between two elements. Not the whole chain.
Select multiple elements and hit space bar to change their direction.
Edit Families W/ Reload.

He also told me that we can now save in-place families by opening up a family template. Edit the in-place family, and then copy and paste. I have not tried this yet.

I made sure to tell him how the continuous footing is really lacking. Love the tool, but don't like how its behaving.

I also put in a request to have the rendering feature back where one can render a plan view and see how the sun will actually penetrate the space. This was broken in 7, but have not checked to see if it works in 8.

SCShell
2005-05-06, 12:36 PM
Hi Steve
And what about the editing of families from within projects thats the best time saver ever!
Agreed Rhys! Thanks Jake, I knew I should not have left early! Missed some of those. Randy was very informative and I am looking forward to finding other v8 goodies. I also liked that you can schedule nested families, especially things like door hardware and sidelights/transoms.
Steve