PDA

View Full Version : How do draw a line in the "Z" axis?

cadkiller
2005-05-05, 01:29 PM
Group;

This may sound like a silly question; but how do you draw a line in the "Z" axis?
Everytime I try, it asks me to select a plane to work on.
In Autocad I can adjust the UCS and can draw in any direction.
How does Revit work in this regard?

I'm trying to construct a wire frame diagram, to be able to sweep a profile along a sloping arc.

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-05, 01:36 PM
...This may sound like a silly question; but how do you draw a line in the "Z" axis?...
In elevation or section Revit doesn't create a work plane at the cut line of these views. So to sketch lines in these views you must either, place a reference plane first and name it, or pick the face of an object in your view. Doing either will define a work plane (surface) that Revit can use to hold these lines.

cadkiller
2005-05-05, 02:15 PM
Steve;

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to create the line on the "Z" axis; but have a problem moving it and having it snap to other objects I created. I guess the snaps don't work because of the work plane. Is it that you can only snap to a line object that is on the current work plane?

dpasa
2005-05-05, 02:25 PM
I believe you must move the ref plane, not the line

Scott D Davis
2005-05-05, 03:17 PM
You can only work in the x/y of the current plane. You cannot snap to a point that does not fall on that plane.You wont be able to start an arc on that plane, and finish it on another plane.

JamesVan
2005-05-06, 02:26 PM
Try Reference LINES instead of Reference PLANES. They connect point to point instead of relying on a work plane.

beegee
2005-05-06, 11:26 PM
But, Reference Lines can only be used inside the Family editor.

knurrebusk
2005-05-06, 11:35 PM
But, Reference Lines can only be used inside the Family editor.

This is another area that Revit need to mimic Inventor in due time I hope.
Boolean operations outside the family editor would be nice too!
Same with sweeps/fillet/lofting etc (3DS max is great).

cadkiller
2005-05-07, 12:13 AM
There should be a toggle that allows for switching the direction between the X, Y & Z axis. This would be useful for wire framing some complex geometry. IMO restricting only working in the X & Y of the current plane is abit of a draw back for a 3D program. I understand that it wouldn't be good to construct an arc like that; but I should be able to snap to lines in other planes.

PS: Autocad allows for snapping lines like this and ADT has the ability to edit AEC objects in any direction using the Ctrl key. When you select a grip the UCS automatically rotates depending on which grip you select.

knurrebusk
2005-05-07, 12:19 AM
There should be a toggle that allows for switching the direction between the X, Y & Z axis. This would be useful for wire framing some complex geometry. IMO restricting only working in the X & Y of the current plane is abit of a draw back for a 3D program. I understand that it wouldn't be good to construct an arc like that; but I should be able to snap to lines in other planes.

PS: Autocad allows for snapping lines like this and ADT has the ability to edit AEC objects in any direction using the Ctrl key. When you select a grip the UCS automatically rotates depending on which grip you select.

Yes! this is one of the rare cases that Autocad still impresses me :)
Besides booleans, and some other stuff he he

hand471037
2005-05-07, 12:29 AM
...and ADT has the ability to edit AEC objects in any direction using the Ctrl key. When you select a grip the UCS automatically rotates depending on which grip you select.

And, thank god, Revit doesn't need a UCS. :-)

I kid. Look, the Reference Planes in Revit, more or less, serve a similar function to the UCS in AutoCAD.

Masses and Compent Families have the same 'grips' that allow you to pull them in any direction, and many will let you pull them around via tabbing until you can grab the edge you want and then drag it. Many Host Families, like Walls and such, have this too.

What I think you're after, however, is the 'current work plane' settings and using Model Lines. You can set the current work plane to be whatever surface or line you wish, kinda like a 'pick face' option for a UCS. This would then let you draw/model whatever you wanted on the Face or at least in line with something.

Also, finally, what are you trying to do? I rarely layout complex forms beforehand with wireframe lines in Revit, for most of the time it's just faster to model the item directly, whether just by using the toolsets or via Massing first. The only time I can think this isn't the case is in regards to complex ruled curtain systems. Otherwise I just skip the 'layout' portion altogether, or at least I'll lay it out with Reference Planes, the tool that was made for that job.

For example, if I had a very complex form I was trying to make, I'd model it as a mass or a big in-place family, drag the grips around until it 'worked' as I wanted it to, and then use the Pick Face or Pick Edge options to make those things in turn into Walls, Floors, and such.

Don't mean to be offensive, but it sounds like there might be a better way to do what you're trying in Revit than assuming it's going to be done the same as you did it before in AutoCAD/ADT land...

P.S. the vast majority of us come from an AutoCAD background, CADkiller, so you don't have to harp about how you do these same things in AutoCAD/ADT instead, when to me it sounds like there might be a better way to do it in Revit than what you're trying... ;-)

cadkiller
2005-05-07, 01:16 AM
P.S. the vast majority of us come from an AutoCAD background, CADkiller, so you don't have to harp about how you do these same things in AutoCAD/ADT instead, ;-)
Jeffrey;

Didn't mean to bust a bubble. I know most of you guys have that type of background, I just use Autocad/ADT as something to compare with, that people can relate to. It's the only thing I know that I can use as an example. If I had a Microstation or Archicad background I would use them instead. Just trying to improve the program to be more user friendly. I'm not suggesting to incorporate a UCS for Revit. Just that a toggle switch or maybe use of reference lines in the model would be nice.

Anyway I'm trying to model a curved sloping bathtub girder for a roadway as a practice project / test. The girder is made out of 3 - 1" cont. plates shaped as a trapizoid. How would you go about doing something like this? I figured using a wire frame to lay it out first, this way I can get it exact before I make the sweep.

beegee
2005-05-07, 01:41 AM
Ed, can you post an image / sketch of the shape you want to create ? ( as an architect, a bathtub girder don't mean a whole lot to me .. :Oops: )

cadkiller
2005-05-07, 01:58 AM
The bathtub shape is this \_/ made out of 3 - 1" plates.

I want to sweep this profile shape along a sloping arc.

beegee
2005-05-07, 02:43 AM
Something along these lines ?

This is just a simple sweep - created by drawing a curved wall, attaching its top to a sloping reference plane and picking the sloping arc top for the path and then drawing or loading the U shaped profile.

Takes only a couple of minutes.

cadkiller
2005-05-07, 03:08 AM
Yes something like that and I need to make the bottoms of the profile shape flat at the bottom and top of the curve. How do you make a sloping reference plane? Thanks for the tip.

beegee
2005-05-07, 04:14 AM
To make a sloping reference plane, just go to an elevation view and sketch the plane.

hand471037
2005-05-07, 05:53 AM
Just that a toggle switch or maybe use of reference lines in the model would be nice.

No worries Cadkiller, hope I didn't come off harsh, didn't mean too, was trying to be joking in that.

Anyways, if we could just use Reference Lines within the Project it would do what you want, and then some, for Reference Lines contain both axises and you only need to use the 'tab' key to pick which one you want to be current. They can also be curved too, which is really fun, and opens up new possibilities. However they are only available within the Family Editor currently...

cadkiller
2005-05-07, 12:15 PM
Beegee;

I was thinking about a plane that was revolving around more than 180 degrees. I figured I would need more than one plane & one wall to do it. Then I would join the geometry together afterwards. Thanks again for the great tip.

Jeffrey;

You weren't being harsh, it was just the mention of me harping over how I did things in Autocad. I must learn to do stuff differently with Revit and go about solving it in a different way. I like the ideal about using a curved reference lines in the model. Also if I could do elliptical shapes with them.

Kirky
2005-05-08, 07:37 AM
to expand on sweeps you can use any solid family then just follow the edge of that item to make a sweep path. Very fast! and easy to follow. (attached took less than a couple of minutes.) Some limitations however with splines and circles along more complex path, not sure why?

hand471037
2005-05-10, 06:10 PM
I like the ideal about using a curved reference lines in the model.

Can't do ellipses with them, but you might want to check out curved column grids. It's a way to define curves within your project to some extent.