PDA

View Full Version : Jumping columns in 8

Andre Baros
2005-05-06, 05:22 PM
Brand new! jumping columns.

Since switching to Revit 8 we have project with columns which keep moving off of the column intersections. It appears to happen if we change the top offset of the column, and it screws up all the connected beams.

The projec was started in Revit 5 and has upgraded well each time. The structure is only being drawn now in Revit 8 for coordination so it wasn't upgraded ever in a project. The family comes from 7 because I havn't switched over our libraries (until everyone switches all their projects to 8).

Chris DiSunno
2005-05-06, 05:49 PM
What if you try the new function and select the column, pick edit family at the top to open and save the family as (whatever the column name)+8.rfa. Load the newly updated column in the project. Go to the column in the project browser, highlight, right click, select all instances and change them to the new column by picking it in the pull down at the top.

Zig
2005-05-06, 06:29 PM
I don't think this is a new problem. I have had the same problem with columns in Version 7. It definitely seems to relate to changing the height of the columns. Definitely not a good thing!

Andre Baros
2005-05-06, 07:54 PM
This it kind of crazy... I'm updating our library's right now, we'll see if the new Revit 8 columns stay put.

We'll also see if the architectural columns display correctly, right now the same column can display differently in the same plan. Argh!

tatjana.dzambazova
2005-05-07, 02:18 AM
Hi Andre
may i have the file you have prblem with? it will help us identify the problem.
thank You!

D_Driver
2005-05-07, 06:57 AM
just out of curiosity (I don't have any cats...)

are there any other objects anchored to the grids?

are the grids in groups

both of these I have had issues with columns jumping around even though they were placed nicely.

Andre Baros
2005-05-09, 11:46 AM
The only things locked to the grids are columns, beams, and other grids. No groups, no worksets. I'll send the file to Tatjana.

A3D
2005-05-09, 09:03 PM
Hey, I've got a similar problem...
I'm quite new to Revit and I thought that I was doing something wrong.

Description:
I have a building with 2 parts at a non orthogonal angle. The columns on the non orthogonal grid kept moving on several occasions when I was:
- changing the level height; there was a case when I wanted a floor 10 cm lower, but I gave up the idea as moving lots of columns eats too much time for a design option.
- changing the floor geometry

Workaround:
Lock every column to the grid in both directions, but you still might face the same "live" behaviour.

Andre Baros
2005-05-10, 02:18 AM
By the way, D_Driver, how did you know I have cats... I know their fur is stuck to everything I own but I didn't know it showed in my posts?

LMSmith
2005-05-17, 02:26 PM
There is a bug in 8.0 that the "Moves with Grids" parameter will latch on to too much. For example if you draw a column (that has moved with grids checked) by a wall and you move that wall, the column will move. Columns that have "Moves with Grids" checked and are locked to grids will give a constraint error when you try to move the grid if they are also attached to a wall. To help this problem, I would recommend turning off "Moves with Grids" for all your structural columns in 8.0. Then you can manually constrain them to grid lines if desired. We will definitely work on fixing this behavior.

On further analysis, we have also found a problem with the “Moves with Grids” parameter in Revit 7.0. In 7.0 this parameter can cause the column’s internal understanding of where it is to get corrupted. The parameter can create a constraint with near by walls and moving them can cause the column to move internally. When regenerated, columns will jump back to their “other” location. Columns that were created in 7.0 may still exhibit this behavior after upgrade. Therefore, for the time being, I would suggest turning off “Moves with Grids” for all structural columns. If you want columns to move with grids, you can then constrain them manually to grid lines. We are working to fix this problem.