PDA

View Full Version : Saving New Door To Library & Personal Library

SCShell
2005-05-09, 02:20 PM
Hey there,

Here is my second question of the day.
How can I save my new doors back to the Imperial Library and my own personal Library?
When I click "save to library", my new walls, floors, roofs and curtain panel glass doors appear in the list from which I can select items to add, but not any doors. I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance
Steve

beegee
2005-05-09, 10:25 PM
Hi Steve,

Using 8 ?
Select one of your new doors in the project, click Edit Family, Open the family -save / save as to your file.

Damo
2005-05-10, 08:47 AM
Using 8 ?
Select one of your new doors in the project, click Edit Family, Open the family -save / save as to your file.Good tip. Trying to save a family out from a project used to cause me problems since I started using Revit 6.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-05-10, 09:58 AM
You could also try... right click on the family in the project browser then select save.

SCShell
2005-05-10, 12:51 PM
Thank you all,

I will give it a try from the project browser. Unfortunately, I have not installed v8 yet due to some huge deadlines on 3 current projects; however, after hearing and seeing some of the features, I can't wait to start using v8.
(Editing and saving families, directly from the project environment, is one of those "cool" time savers.)

I'll let ya know how saving from the browser worked.
Thanks
Steve

Damo
2005-05-10, 10:38 PM
Following on from this thread.

I have a few wall and floor types that might be useful to others. How would I save just these floor and wall types?

david.kingham
2005-05-10, 10:42 PM
I have created a new project that just has our standard walls in it called Wall Template, just copy and paste from your current project to the wall template, I guess it could be a general template for walls, floors, ceilings, stairs, railings, all that happy stuff you can't just load in :D

iru69
2005-05-10, 11:23 PM
I have a few wall and floor types that might be useful to others. How would I save just these floor and wall types?

Have you tried "Transfer Project Standards..." from the file menu.

I keep a custom "New Project" template. When I've created walls, floors, etc., in a project that I'll want to reuse in another project, I open that template and transfer whatever families, linetypes, etc. I want to reuse.

When I need them in a new project, I just open the custom "New Project" template and transfer them over.

As David.Kingham suggests, you can have separate files for walls, floors, etc.

HTH.

Damo
2005-05-10, 11:47 PM
Thanks Irusun & David.

There are some specific wall & floor types I have created that I could post on AUGI, but I don't want to post my whole template file, just the wall and floors. It's just these that I want to extract from my project.

SCShell
2005-05-11, 12:22 PM
Hey there,

Well, I haven't really tried to save out to my library; however, to transfer a specific family like a floor or door, simply open both projects. (The source project and the target project)

In the source project, select your floor and click on "save to clipboard", then open your target project and paste. Now, go open any floor in the target project and then click "properties" in order to scroll through all available types. You will see your newly transfered floor. This works for every family I have tried so far.

As a footnote, when saving to library, Revit will allow you to save out certain families in v7. (As my original question stated, doors are not listed in the available list to save out. Maybe because they are so project specific, especially when one has keyed hardware schedules etc. tied to the parameters.)

Transfer Project Standards also works for many similar families while both projects are open.
Also, Copy/paste from the clipboard does copy over between two opened projects, all schedules and keyed schedules while in sheet views. The parameters you set up for any schedule are maintained. The individual items listed won't of course; however, they will automatically be modified to match the target project's info. Nice!

Good Luck
Steve

Damo
2005-05-11, 08:01 PM
Thanks Steve,

It does mean that I'll have to upload the drawing file (template) rather then just the family,.... although I could delete all the other families so that just the floor / wall remains.

Was hoping there was a quicker solution. :-(