PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Roof with Massing Tool

dgraue
2005-05-10, 06:14 PM
I've created a building using the massing tools. I've created the wall by picking the mass without a problem. I now want to use the "Roof by Face" tool but the edge of roof comes to the outer wall surface. I don't seem to have the ability to edit this roof by selecting the edge and adjusting it the way you do in the regular roof command. Any ideas on how to control the location of the roof edge using this tool?

luigi
2005-05-10, 06:35 PM
I'm on the fly...edit the roof and add the thickness of the roof to the "offset from level" of the roof...

dgraue
2005-05-11, 12:14 AM
The trouble is not the depth of the roof but rather width. The edge of roof goes to the outer edge of the wall by default when created with the massing tool. So, if I offset the roof down a few feet to create a parapet condition, I don't want to be able to see the edge of roof through the wall in an elevation or 3d view.

luigi
2005-05-11, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood which direction you had the problem, I tested and see your dilemma...I will have to let somebody else intervene, for my only solution is to have the wall interior be the face of the model, but that doesn't make too much sense....

artitech
2005-05-11, 12:37 PM
This is the info I received when I was trying to do the same thing.. I never used this method, so I never tried it - but it may be your solution to achieve an overhang....

Step 3: Create roof by picking faces (once you shape the mass to exactly what you want, you can separate these from the mass to create the overhangs, alternately, you could copy and scale the mass to have the roof generated by one mass and the walls by another.

Hope it solves your problem.

C. Stechyshyn