PDA

View Full Version : Grid visibility problems

m.thomas
2005-05-10, 06:54 PM
I'm trialling revit by putting a scheme we already have on Autocad into revit.

I started by drawing the basic grids for the scheme.
Next I put in the floor levels, the ground floor of which is 28 metres or so above 0.00.
I can see all the grids on the level I drew them, but I only seem to be able to see some of the grids on the upper levels.

I've tried messing with view ranges with limited success, and I've tried associating grids with a scope box but the grids seem to get extended to the rectangular scope box and look messed up as shown in the attached image.

Sorry if the above is confusing, but this issue has had me tearing my hair out :-( and I know the answers gonna be totally obvious.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Mies

luigi
2005-05-10, 07:04 PM
I don't know if I can adequately explain it, but it has to do with the 3d extent of the grids...the extents are in 3d, so the computer (if you haven't created geometry) will limit the extent of the 3d to some known distance. So the way to fix the situation is to go in elevation (unfortunately it must be perpendicular to the grids to see the grids in the elevation) and stretch the grids up and down to show above and below your levels... I am not sure how the circular grids will be fixed, you might need to create some large geometry, delete the circular grids and redraw them, this is a problem with Revit, but I don't think the factory has it in top priority, but maybe in your case the circular grids will show in elevation...

I hope i was clear, maybe someone else will show you some graphics or point you to other threads, but the 3d/2d extent is the situation you are faced with...

Peace,

m.thomas
2005-05-10, 07:34 PM
Thanks Luigi that was a great help.

I've now set up elevations perpendicular to the main grids so that i can stretch the grid heads in these new elevations. I can now see these grids on all levels.

However, there's no way that I can set up an elevation for each radial grid purely to see those missing grids in elevation so that I can stretch them up.

Has someone got a workaround for this issue please. This is so frustrating and un -intuiative.

Wish there was a tick box somewhere where you could elect to view all grids in a particular elevation.

Mies

Edit:
What also frustrates me is that you cant even drop in an elevation symbol and align it using the align tool. Im having to measure the angle, and manually rotate the elevation symbol to get it perpendicular.

luigi
2005-05-11, 09:17 AM
m.thomas, I think if you create a temporary geometry as tall as so many feet or meters above your highest and lowest level, then recreate the grids, it should work. I say should because that is what I was reading from various posts, but haven't tried myself. You may even try to copy the grid and just enter 0 for distance and see if that works, but make sure the geometry is adequately large enough....

Hope this will help, but it is definetely not nice.....