PDA

View Full Version : subject: fascia details sweeps profile

mailtomac1860
2003-12-22, 03:56 AM
subject: fascia details sweeps profile

I would like to create an exterior trim detail similar to the dormer .jpg attached.

my building doesnt have dormers but i have tried to load my profile to use for a hosted roof sweep.?

igot error..."cant make facia"
also another mssg"improper geometry" or something

I would also like to trace over an elevation callout and place on a details sheet.

I have include the profile .rfa (one is hosted)

i would like to develop a number "stamdard" profiles and details

paths, components?

thanks
mac

GuyR
2003-12-22, 07:22 AM
MAc,

The problem with your hosted profile is it isn't continuous. Have a look at the attached screen grab. Hopefully you can understand it. It shows a little trick for checking a continuous path.
1..Turn off reference planes (not strickly necessary but can be useful).

2..Then tab highlight a line.

Revit will try and highlight as much of the line it can. For a profile it has to go all the way around. In your case it doesn't.

Guy

ps: the tab feature is very useful elsewhere as well.

mailtomac1860
2003-12-28, 06:34 PM
thanks, ill try it
mac

mailtomac1860
2004-01-02, 01:26 AM
well, closing the profile worked of course. thanks

putting it into practice however is another can o' worms for me, so far

feeble attempts attached:
(notes in elevatons...)

i'm sure its not as hard as im making it...?

thanks mac

cphubb
2004-01-02, 07:37 PM
Mac,

We have also had some problems with the sweeps for fascias and walls. I hope I can shed some light on your problems with some of our own solutions.

1. Sweeps can attach to just about any face of the host. This makes it really easy to attach to the "Back" of the fascia, the bottom of the wall, or the back of the wall. I insert in a 3d view first and if that doesn't work I use a view that is parallel (yes parallel) to the face I am attaching to.

2. Just to contridict #1. I insert fascias and gutters in plan view, wall sweeps and reveals in elevation (and 3d).

4. you must use the reference plans in the profile family. Remember that the crosshairs are the center of the univers for the profile. Offset tour profile as required to get built in offsets.

5. Use dimensions and refrence plans in the family to lock the profile into the shape/size you want. If you assign different refrence strengths to those planes you can use the align tool in the model.

6. Always use one continuous sweep if possible. Multiple sweeps that are continuous are a Pain. Use the add remove segment to add on. Also you can split sweeps by splitting the wall and pulling the sweep back. (Join the two walls together if a joint shows.

I hope this will help you with your sweeping. They can be maddening, but really helpful when figured out.

Chris