PDA

View Full Version : "Select all instances" by plan only

glen.85659
2005-05-11, 09:24 AM
I am busy changing the properties of some of my doors but i would like to only select all the instances of a particular door on that plan only. The select all instances command selects all to doors on all the floors.

Is it possible as i have different types of doors on the one floor and would like to be able to easily select one specific type?

Martin P
2005-05-11, 09:43 AM
There is a way. I have doors that know if they open in or out for external walls. You have to create new families with Yes/No paramaters... but this wont help you now anyway as youd have to replace all your door families. So the simple answer for the moment is no (>>EDIT<<unless you remodel all families and go round each one telling it L/R - be quicker to just take the shortcut on schedules for now) - next time you can do it though. You will have to do it manually for now.

I have attached one for you to see the idea - load it into a familiy to see it work.

And you cant select instances by view only - you have to use the filter command..... its on the wishlist though.

glen.85659
2005-05-11, 09:57 AM
Thanks for that Martin. Will try your door

ejburrell67787
2005-05-11, 11:18 AM
Martin,

Why can't Glen edit the door family that is currently in the project, add the required parameters, reload the door family and then schedule the swings? :???:

Elrond

Martin P
2005-05-11, 11:41 AM
Sorry, you are right no reason he cant do it you are correct...

What I was thinking was he would have to go round every single door and tell it whether to be a left or right handed door, and remodel all his door families..... At this point he would be quicker just doing it as a text paramater in the schedule (manually - ie look at the doors - and type it in yourself in the schedule) rather than re doing all his door families to "know" what they are - then having to go round each one and tell to be left or right handed anyway... benefit of re-doing the families is it would be paramatreic and 100% accurate - but would probably take much longer to do, and the process will involve going round each door individually either way you do it - not remodelling the families and having to pick "left" or "right" for every instance at this stage would just be less hassle I think. I suppose it depends how much time you have really.

glen.85659
2005-05-11, 11:57 AM
I have over 100 different doors and there are also about 15 different types of doors. Right now i am looking at the quickest route. I would be really cool to have a door that schedules it own swing now though.

ejburrell67787
2005-05-11, 11:59 AM
Is that because the yes/no swing parameter you added is a 'dumb' parameter that is not actually linked to the model?

I guess if this is the case then it would take the same amount of time either way once the family included the parameter - quite quick and easy to do on the schedule though in any case.

Cheers, Elrond

PS I never know which way to describe a door swing as anyway - do you read them from one room or the other!? "Handing as indicated on drawings" is my method of noting it! 8)

ejburrell67787
2005-05-11, 12:08 PM
I have over 100 different doors and there are also about 15 different types of doors. Right now i am looking at the quickest route. I would be really cool to have a door that schedules it own swing now though.
Quick options
1. Add a text parameter to the schedule and go through the schedule and fill them all in
2.Use the 'comment' parameter to add the swing to every instance and schedule it

Hope this helps...

In both cases you end up with 'dumb' text that will need manual updating if any doors change...! :eek:

Elrond

(PS might be a good idea to fill them all in as R swing in the schedule using copy/paste first, then go through the plans and change those instances that aren't....?)

Martin P
2005-05-11, 12:21 PM
the yes/no paramater is linked to the model elements - but not to the "flip" control, you dont use that at all with this type of family - my doors come in with both opening options, panels, frames and swings - I have no flip control, but I pick inward/outward opening to change the way the door appears... The family has 2 panels, 2 frames and 2 swings

The reason I created these families is that the door frames in our external wall are quite different depending on whether inward or outward opening, particularly the actual location of the door panel.

Internal doors I just use a flip control for those - frame is the same either way..

We dont schedule left/right - or in/oot, we provide a small floor plan with our schedules all on one drawing, that way it is clear.

Like this.

ejburrell67787
2005-05-11, 12:33 PM
Oh I see. Well the same could be done for internal doors if scheduling the handing / swing was crucial.

Elrond

glen.85659
2005-05-11, 12:33 PM
Thanks Elrond.

That is the process I am busy using.
I have been told that the way you specify LH and RH is you look at the door from the room into which it opens. Pretend you are looking at the door. The side the hinges are on determines the "hand"

ejburrell67787
2005-05-11, 12:42 PM
Thanks Elrond.

That is the process I am busy using.
I have been told that the way you specify LH and RH is you look at the door from the room into which it opens. Pretend you are looking at the door. The side the hinges are on determines the "hand"
Ah well, that would make it all clear!

Cheers, Elrond

Martin P
2005-05-11, 12:52 PM
Oh I see. Well the same could be done for internal doors if scheduling the handing / swing was crucial.

Elrond
Yes, infact now I think about it to do that would only mean adding a few symolic lines and the yes/no paramaters - maybe wouldnt take too long to do it in the end? Could be worth just going for it Glen...

Tom Dorner
2005-05-11, 03:33 PM
The way I was taught to determine door handing was to stand (or pretend to stand) in the door opening with your back to the hinges. If the door swings to your left it is LH and to the right it is RH. This is the convention at least in our part of the US (Minnesota). Learned this in high school working at the local lumber yard.

Tom

Martin P
2005-05-11, 03:37 PM
Thanks Elrond.

The side the hinges are on determines the "hand"

So you actually open it with the other hand! You use your left hand to open a right handed door and vice versa... Glad I dont have to explain that to anyone ;)

Elevation naming used to confuse me when I first started out - on the elevation the "viewer" of the building is looking to the north - so I couldnt understand why it was called the south elevation! Always got me confused before for some reason? (makes perfect sense to me now though....)

sjsl
2005-05-11, 03:56 PM
Why bother scheduling handedness at all. We gave this practice up years ago and now just higher hardware consultants for our school projects. Most of them will do the first couple of schools for free so they can spec their hardware. Works great.

LMSmith
2005-05-11, 07:57 PM
A good way to select all doors of a specific type on a specific level is to use schedules with grouping and filtering. For example, create a schedule so that all the Solid Core doors on Level 2 list together. Then select them all the in the schedule. Changing focus back to a project window will leave you with all the door selected. Then you can change their properties all at once.

Danny Polkinhorn
2005-05-12, 03:58 AM
I am busy changing the properties of some of my doors but i would like to only select all the instances of a particular door on that plan only. The select all instances command selects all to doors on all the floors.

Is it possible as i have different types of doors on the one floor and would like to be able to easily select one specific type?
You should vote here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10985). Maybe it'll get added one day... :)

glen.85659
2005-05-12, 07:25 AM
A good way to select all doors of a specific type on a specific level is to use schedules with grouping and filtering. For example, create a schedule so that all the Solid Core doors on Level 2 list together. Then select them all the in the schedule. Changing focus back to a project window will leave you with all the door selected. Then you can change their properties all at once.

That is great thanks. A bit of a work around but at the moment i do not care. Thanks that really helps.

beegee
2005-05-12, 07:38 AM
>>>. Changing focus back to a project window will leave you with all the door selected. Then you can change their properties all at once.
Or, ... just make the changes right there in the schedule, by using the appropriate fields for properties to be amended.

ejburrell67787
2005-05-12, 12:44 PM
use schedules with grouping and filtering. For example, create a schedule so that all the Solid Core doors on Level 2 list together..
:idea::idea::idea:

oops should have mentioned that right at the start... :shock:

Hope you're getting your drawings all sorted now Glen!

Elrond

glen.85659
2005-05-12, 12:51 PM
:idea::idea::idea:

oops should have mentioned that right at the start... :shock:

Hope you're getting your drawings all sorted now Glen!

Elrond

Yip. I managed to get the project out but not without a glitch in workseting but i posted my question regarding that problem under the worksets forum.

Thanks for all the help guys