PDA

View Full Version : "Childs Told To Straighten Out The Zero Mess" -- New York Observer

Mencken
2005-05-12, 02:12 PM
I am very interested in learning the extent and ways in which Revit's use contributes to expediting the Freedom Tower. Its problems have been and continue to be New York-sized versions of the problems Architects are called on to solve daily.

Best of luck!

MikeJarosz
2005-05-12, 03:15 PM
Its problems have been and continue to be New York-sized versions of the problems Architects are called on to solve daily.

Best of luck!

For better or worse, our firm does very high profile projects all the time. When the Freedom Tower design was revealed on December 19, 2003, David Childs remarked that what you see today is only 2% of the project. Several projects I have been assigned to in the past took ten years or more to get built. Most of that time was not design and construction, but what I would call the "project definition stage"

We see the same thing happening here, except that the degree of public scrutiny is greater than anything I have ever experienced. Much hard work has gone into bringing harmony to the process. Every move the team makes is reported by the New York media, often on the front page. The New York Post even has a cartoonist on the story. Then the international press picks up the lead. We get inquiries from New Zealand.....

None of this has anything to do with Revit. Yes, we have the building fully modelled in Revit, and yes, any revisions will be made in Revit. But progress on the studio floor is linked to progress in the conference room, and progress IS being made there.

An architectural firm that does schools regularly has to deal with school budgets, capital construction funding, state and federal requirements, teacher's unions, parent's concerns, community boards, etc. The project cannot begin until all these ducks are in a row. Only then can the drawings start. How long does this take? I think most of you can guess.

With the Freedom Tower you are witnessing what "Architects are called on to solve daily" and we believe we are solving it. But you won't see much Revit until we do.

Then, it will be a flood.

aggockel50321
2005-05-12, 05:26 PM
Listening to Imus this morning on the way to work, there was a discussion about a move to get the developer (Trump was his guest) to go back to a design that more closely matched what was originally there.

A lot of conflicting visions....

MikeJarosz
2005-05-12, 07:01 PM
See what I mean? Now the Trump weighs in.....

From a listener in Maine.